Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

searching for the mysterious knocking

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: Vortec 350 TPI
Transmission: 7004r
searching for the mysterious knocking

Lately my car has developed a knock/rattling when the engine is idleing slowly.
The sound is similar to something heavy rapidly tapping against exhaust.

However there is nothing external that i can find to cause this noise.
the noise is most present when engine is warm and in closed loop idle. the engine shakes and the knocks are in time with it shaking. with my stethescope I t appears the knock is coming from the rear of the engine, either something in the oil pan, the engine itself or something in the torque converter.
is it possible something could have broken inside the torque converter to cause such a rattle?
The sound goes away when i bring the revs above idle, but the rattle comes back randomly at different rpms when driving, i can feel the rattle in the gas pedal primarily when shifting between gears, but not always.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 142 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am
Engine: LSA
Transmission: T56 AWD
Axle/Gears: 8.8 4.10
I felt the same thing

Swore up n down it was the torque converter

Fired it without the belt on to test something else and never heard it

Its the bearings in the smog pump on my car

Try running without the belt and see if it still makes the noise before you start playin replace the part game
Old 07-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73
sounds like a cracked flexplate
Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 AM

Car: only GM,88 camaro, 91r/s camaro, 91
Engine: Clean oil, looks fresh, no leaks
Transmission: Bright Red, never burnt, no leaks
Axle/Gears: currently whining
Originally Posted by Sonix
sounds like a cracked flexplate
yea I also think that the flex plate is craced this is comon also and or you just might have a lose bolt from the torq to the flex plate .,,.try tightning all the bolts up,.,. i like to uses a long wrench for this so i can turn the motor to get to other bolts
Old 08-01-2006, 09:05 PM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: Vortec 350 TPI
Transmission: 7004r
Thanks guys, yea I thought it was my flexplate also, so I hoisted it up and checked it out. It looks in good shape however and from what I can tell and the noise is definatly coming from that area. either the rear of the oil pan or the TC.

it sounds too heavy to be the oil pickup banging inside the oil pan. so I tryed some lucas oil additive which is supposed to reduce knock sound and it makes no effect..

I also just tryed running it without any belts but that didn't help either.

Its been knocking like this for the past 2000 km and it doesn't seem to effect the engine except to make it idle poorly
Old 08-02-2006, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jer82Z28
Thanks guys, yea I thought it was my flexplate also, so I hoisted it up and checked it out. It looks in good shape however and from what I can tell and the noise is definatly coming from that area. either the rear of the oil pan or the TC.

it sounds too heavy to be the oil pickup banging inside the oil pan. so I tryed some lucas oil additive which is supposed to reduce knock sound and it makes no effect..

I also just tryed running it without any belts but that didn't help either.

Its been knocking like this for the past 2000 km and it doesn't seem to effect the engine except to make it idle poorly

yea ok i deffinitly have the same issue as you ok here is what i believe is happining,. you may be able to tell me other wise later on down the road.,.,,.Ok some where as i are driping oil down the back of the block it gett to the torq bolts oiling the so they move or just one moves a lil during the engien's rpm.,,.i have located the sound the same way you did when i was under ther i used a mecanics stethascope.,,.so its not the pump behind the torq but is either the torq its self or the bolts ,..,i honestly believe you block is if ,.,.for example if you were to run you engine with out the trans it would noy have that knock /tap sound you notice parked idle next to a wall.,,.,.lol ,..,please note this is just my opinion and findings of my own investigation,. also please keep me infomed as to you own findings on this matter! thanks
Old 08-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned

This is really weird because my car does the same exact thing but i have a t56 in my car... Everyone has auto that has this problem here correct?
If anyone knows what this is i would love to know.

Thanks,
Old 08-05-2006, 04:00 AM

now i really wanna know now ?????
Old 08-07-2006, 02:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Trans/am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 drum WS6
Oh, add me to that list. I, however, have been able to locate that noise to the bellhousing. Its a tick/knock.

Does your go trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr when it gets a bit higher in the rpms, and then goes away once the tranny shifts???
Also, does it go away when warmed up???
I've checked the the bolts on my flexplate to TC and they were tights as hell. There might be a crack around the bolts that bolt the flexplate to the crank (which is very common). If everything else fails, I will be taking the flexplate out and replacing it with a heavy duty one.

Let me know how everything goes, I wanna know whats up.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I've got this too. Been driving with it for 4 months now. It showed up after an accident with a center divider. My friend narrowed it down to the TQ converter so I bought a new one. I have it ready to go in when I weld my bell housing back together but personally I suspect that it's not the converter. I think it's the flexplate. I should have the money to do the work in a week. I'll post back with what we found.

The sound is only around idle when the engine is warm and on startup. It's been getting worse for the last 4 months since the accident. It goes away as soon as I press the gas pedal to bring up the RPM's and is never there during normal driving except during deceleration. Also my starter used to not catch 1 time out of like 20. Now it's as bad as 1 out of 5.

Last edited by 92GTA; 08-09-2006 at 02:11 PM.