Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

spohn torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spohn torque arm

Hey guys,
I am in the process of installing a new spohn's adjustable torque arm with foward drive shaft safety loop. (this is the one that relocates the torque arm mounting bracket off the trans tail shaft.
I have a '91Z with a T5
My problem is that the new trans mount won't fit. I have tried both the poly and a regular rubber mount (like sphon mentions), but once the mount is in place on th bottom of the trans, the new cross member won't sit flush against the subframe. I have lifted/raised the trans up a little more, but there just isn't enough space for the mount? What am I doing wrong.
ANy one have any pics ofI theirs installed?
I have the trans mount sitting flush against the trans,
I have the cross member in the correct way (I think) - the torque arm locating bracket points up, and the rubber pads that are labled L and R point up towards the subframe
I have tride mounting the new trans cross member first and then pushing the trans mount in place, but there just isn't enough space, unless of course I am to force the mount into place with a rubber malat - but even then there isn't enough clearance....
What gives?
I am at my wits end as to what to do
ANy help would be appreciated,
-Andrew
Old 04-04-2006, 04:25 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the 700r4 and t5 ones are the same. i had no problems fitting the prothane mount in there, with the two studs in the mount as well.

jack the tranny up pretty far, have the mount mounted to the crossmember and the nmount it to the frame lossely and try again.

make sure u have the suspension loaded to some extent, to keep the frame striaght for things to line up. i had jackstands on the a-arms and the rear end and everything lined up.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MdFormula350
Thanks for the pics.
I have gotten the t.a in and think I am ready to set pinion angle BUT,
now I have issues with bolt lenghts.
On the prothane tranny mount, the two studs are way short - the mount comes with 1.5" length studs and I don't have anywhere near the thread to use the washer and lock washer with the bolt - is this an alignment issue - if not I will just buy a longer stud, AND
similarily, the rear long bolts - they are M14 * 2.0*185 - again, after instalation of the t.a. the nuts barely cover 2/3 of the bolt? -Am I going to have to get longer bolts? Instalation issue or what? I had ground down the powdercoating and some of the mounting bracket to get the rear mount to slide over the dif, but now the bolt/nut issues...
SOme minor inconvieneinces.... WHat do yo think...

I had mounted the trans mount to the trans first Maybe I should do what you said

jack the tranny up pretty far, have the mount mounted to the crossmember and the nmount it to the frame lossely and try again.

Will this change the outcome?
I have the car sitting on 4 hard points - rear, in front of the LCA and on the front on the subframe - I had tightened the trans cross member down and lowered the tranny into place to see if this would change anything up interms of the trans mount stud length - but this didn't help.
One other noticable difference - the drive shaft doesn't go in the trans tail shaft as far as it used to - This shouldn't make a difference..?
ANy feedback would be helpful. You can PM me if you want dur to the charachter lenght restriction within threads...
-Andrew