Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

GM Told ME I Had a Vette Tranny.......is it the same?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro z28
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
GM Told ME I Had a Vette Tranny.......is it the same?

I called my GM dealer today and gave him my tranny # to confirm the year before I buy my parts. He then informed me that my tranny that I figured was a 86 camaro 700r4 is a corvette 86 model 700r4. So is there any difference from the two?

Im ordering from Pro-Built and he told me he could make me a 86 rebuilt kit for my tranny. Im curious there are any difference in the two models before I call Pro-Built and place my order.

I also need to know if he was correct in the tranny type.

Here is the tranny number: 6YMW-Y-00301598-336B

Thx for any help
Old 02-15-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 406 CI
Transmission: Pete K 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:55
A vette trans does not have the holes in the case to allow it to be bolted to the trans mount. The boss is not there either, making drilling and tapping impossible. Without major fabbing, it cannot be used in an f-body.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:38 PM

Re: GM Told ME I Had a Vette Tranny.......is it the same?

Originally posted by KonArtist
I called my GM dealer today and gave him my tranny # to confirm the year before I buy my parts. He then informed me that my tranny that I figured was a 86 camaro 700r4 is a corvette 86 model 700r4. So is there any difference from the two?

Im ordering from Pro-Built and he told me he could make me a 86 rebuilt kit for my tranny. Im curious there are any difference in the two models before I call Pro-Built and place my order.

I also need to know if he was correct in the tranny type.

Here is the tranny number: 6YMW-Y-00301598-336B

Thx for any help
According to my books, YMW is not a valid number.
YWM however, is a 5.0 fbody, multi port fuel injected suffix
Vettes in that year were codes:
YAM- Export models
YCM
YDM
The 86 vette trans in my garage is YDM
Old 02-15-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro z28
Engine: 350 HSR
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42's
Re: Re: GM Told ME I Had a Vette Tranny.......is it the same?

Originally posted by Floor guy
According to my books, YMW is not a valid number.
YWM however, is a 5.0 fbody, multi port fuel injected suffix
Vettes in that year were codes:
YAM- Export models
YCM
YDM
The 86 vette trans in my garage is YDM
Thx for the reply.......I double checked and the # is actually YWM. So the GM guy must of pulled the wrong info.

thx
Old 02-16-2006, 07:14 AM

A vette trans from the same model year is really no better than a camaro trans. Accumulator springs are different, accumulator valve in valve body is different and wot upshift(3/4) valve and vette servo are different. These can all be added to your trans at rebuild time if you choose to add them. Dana at probuilt offers a great kit that includes almost everything you could possibly need. If not he can recommend something and sell it to you as well. He is known for the best 700 transmissions and is also a forum sponsor. Help the people that help us.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:40 PM

ok a true corvette transmsison has a different output shaft on the transmission the tail shaft houseing is also different... there is a different style front pump installed on the case alone with the servo for the band installed is the transmission... i think what has happen to you is that the transmisiion was rebuilt from a corvette but has the tail shaft houseing and the output shafe from a F-body installed in the transmission. you best bet is to find a rebuilt kit that has the engle blue or red clutches in the kit and buy it off e-bay you will same some money there.

just think if you buy that trans from me that is already built you won't have any problems :-D

make sure when you rebuilt the transmission you replace the piston o-rings and that you installed them the right way... thats where most people mess up there transmisison when they built them at home. also since you will have the trans ripped apart it would be a VERY good idea to replace the sun shell to an after market unit as the stock ones brake right at the sun gear in the gear set also make sure to get a new TQ don't reuse your old one. if you have a blone tranmission now that TQ is full of clutch damnable you can fil that TQ over and let it drain out you can drill a 1/8 hole in the side to help let the ATF coe out and weld it back close but you still will never get it all out.