Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Transmission Seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 82 Pontiac Firebird s/e
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: TH200C
Transmission Seal

I have a problem where the transmission fluid is seeping out of the transmission through the pan seal. It is not bad just annoying to see transmission fluid on the floor. The reason I believe is that the car is only take out on average every two weeks for a run and during this time the fluid will gradually make its way out through the seal. I have tried a few transmission seal manufacturers but they are all the same. If the car was used every day I don't think this problem would occur. I have put gasket sealer on the pan and on the transmission prior the fitting the seal but the fluid will make it's way through eventually. I was wondering could anyone recommend a good pan seal (TH200C transmission) or could I leave out the pan seal altogether and just use the tube of gasket sealer. I guess I would need to put a lot of it on. Also I did check to make sure that the transmission wasn't over filled.

Anyone any input,
Thanks.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
The reason that nothing you've done to the pan has fixed it, is probably because the pan isn't where the leak is.

Almost always, it's the fill tube o-ring, or seal; whichever type of object your particular fill tube is equipped with.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 AM

Thanks for the reply but it's the pan seal that's the problem. I can see it all around the pan. I dipstick tube area looks dry.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro Z-28
Engine: 6.3L Victor EFI
Transmission: Tremec TKO 600
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"/4.11 Trac-Lok
Originally posted by gholian
Thanks for the reply but it's the pan seal that's the problem. I can see it all around the pan. I dipstick tube area looks dry.
If it's available to you, I would use the GM gasket & filter 8630960. Your pan may also be warped or deformed from over tightening the bolts. Check the pan rail with a straight edge. You can tap out small irregularities with hammer & dollie. If it's too bad, look for a new pan.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:32 AM

Hi Guys,
Last week I replaced the gearbox mount and found an aftermarket pan with a drain plug on ebay. It was only $12.50. It's a chrome one. I changed the filter, oil and fit my new pan. I had a look last night to see was there any signs of leaking. I see that there is a small leak from on top of the box. Below is a picture of it. It's where the TV cable connects to the gearbox. What does the TV cable thing do anyway? I see someone put gasket seal on it before in the distant past. It shouldn't be a big job to reseal it I hope. I just want to check with someone before I try it incase there is anything there I could screw up. Is it straight forward to reseal the TV cable connection to the gearbox.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Seal-tv-cable.jpg  
Old 02-27-2006, 08:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
At the end of the TV cable there is a metal end with a hole in it. Inside the tranny there is a little clip (like a bent wire) - this wire goes into the hole on the metal cable end. You'll have to disconnect the cable at the linkage (top end) so you have the play in the cable to connect it. It's a PITA to see while it's in the car, you can remove the tranny crossmember bolts (with a jack under the tranny) and carefully let the rear of the tranny down some on the jack to get a better view.

WATCH the dizzy while your "tilting" the tranny - the dizzy can hit the firewall and break the cap/rotor assembly.

The TV cable is one complete unit, no gaskets come with it - the tranny end housing is semi-rubbery material that should seal on it's own when bolted in (a 10mm bolt). Maybe just get a whole new TV cable and replace to solve the leak. While your there, replace the rubber seal for the dipstick too - might as well while your on your back!