Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

trans runs fine,.but when i mash the gas..........

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: only GM,88 camaro, 91r/s camaro, 91
Engine: Clean oil, looks fresh, no leaks
Transmission: Bright Red, never burnt, no leaks
Axle/Gears: currently whining
trans runs fine,.but when i mash the gas..........

hey all!,..,my trans shifts just fine under normal regular conditions.,but when i mash the gas the rpm's rise real hi and the trans dont push the power out.,this pisses me off.,ive expiriecnced this with other 700r4's.,,.its like im not doing it right
if i dont mash the gas all the way down it will get up and get going,.,.why does this happen.,.,please for every one who will say "its slippin".,thats not whats happining!

My prob is akward to explain but im sure some one knows what im talkin about.,.,maby torq converter or the govner? i just hate that when it happins,.,. what is happining? also its not my kick down cable its fine as well,.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Probably the same problem other high milage transmissions have, its worn out and needs a rebuild. Had the same problems with mine. Worked fine (for a while) at normal throttle. Hit the gas, the RPMs would come up and it would slip.

Sure fire way to tell if its slipping is to look at the fluid. If its been changed recently and the red dye has faded out or its turned brown and has a burnt smell then the trans is either overheating, or overheating from slippage. If this is the case, then all the clutchpacks/frictions are likely damaged or destroyed. Theyre only made of paper and very easily damaged by heat.

Might also check the fluid level and make sure its not low. Also look at the TV cable. At WOT it should be tight with no detectable slack. Any slack and you wont have enough line pressure, causing slippage and poor shifts
Old 10-19-2005, 11:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
The other explanation might lie with the type of motor you have. I had an LO5 in a truck and at high loads it was rockin' and rollin' but not doing very much, due to the low power output and 5000 lb+ vehicle weight. Also, since your location says 'desert', it could be a detonation issue in the heat with the vehicle in question. That will cause the engine to jsut sit there and do nothing at high RPMs since the ecm has pulled alot of timing. The stock routines are very aggressive.

Last edited by dimented24x7; 10-19-2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Engine: 310 LG4
Transmission: 700R4 w/2200 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.42
only way to tell is put a temp gauge and a pressure gauge on the trans to see what is going on. What is your tranny temp? Dont guess either. What are your pressures doing?

Also, why would you say it's not slipping? Unless your converter is broken which I doubt, it's probably slipping. Check your TV cable. Get back to us with temps and pressures