Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Loud banging noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Red 89 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Loud banging noise

Ever since i bought my car in feb ive noticed that every once in a while my car will make a really loud bangin noise that seems to be coming from the rear of the car. I searched and saw people talking about the torque arm and tranmission mount may be the problem. However at first i noticed it would make this really loud bang when my car was off after about 20 minutes and then rabndomly every once in a while and rarely when i was driving it. Now over the months it seems to be doing it alot more like everytime i turn my car off and im inside my room which faces the street i can hear it clearly-- this is with double paned window closed and my car parked on the other side of the large round part of a cul de sac so the noise is pretty fuc*in loud and it also is now doing it more when im driving. Seems to be doing it when im accelerating from a dead stop but it may be doing it at othertimes cant remember. Anybody what this problem could be???

O yea my rearend is also hopelessly shot and whines so loud u cant talk in the car driving on the street.

Also another unrelated question. this just started happening yesterday but when my car is idling forward and i turn the wheel to the right or left my car seems to be making this loud squeak from the front wheels. it also happens when im driving faster i just dont know if its everytime im driving cuz the reaerend is that loud. Also brakin seems to make that sound go away, anybody know what it is??
Old 08-01-2005, 06:04 AM

Car: VIN=85 T/A, CAR=82/3 T/A gfx, go figure. She's a T/A anyway!
Engine: 5.0, Holley 600 cfm 4-barrel
Transmission: THM350 ??
Loud bang after turning the car off? Hmm. well if the fuel tank vents are blocked, I suppose the vacuum created in the gas tank sucks the tank in, then when it's not running the metal returns to shape. Analogy would be it's like a plastic soda bottle.

As for the squeak, check your brake pads - how much is left on them?

Mark.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:56 PM

Car: Red 89 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
well how would i go about unclogging the vents.
and ya i think the brakes are really shot theyve been squeakin for like 6 months or so and theyre next on my list to replace