Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Currie Stage-1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 04:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83Z28 HO
Engine: Magnacharged Dart Little M 408
Transmission: G Force 5 speed
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" w/Detroit Trutrac
Currie Stage-1?

I was looking at their website, and they offer a supposedley "bolt-in" kit for 82-92 Camaros. Here's the description:
The Currie Camaro Stage 1 is for upgraded street performance on 1982-2002 models without ABS. It includes: A complete 9" inch Rearend with a (CE-2001) Heavy Duty Housing, (CE-7008A) Camaro Brackets with Heavy Torque Arm Mount, (CE-0012) 31 spline Performance Axles Package, (CE-6005A) 11" Drum Brake Kit ... a complete Third Member Assembly with an original Gear Case and Pinion Support ... a 1330 Series Yoke, a TractionLock Differential ... and gear ratio of your choice. Assembled by Currie Technicians and ready to install when you receive it!
I intend to speak with them, but I don't want to sound too clueless over the phone as to what options I have, or which I should get. Does this seem like a reasonably solid rear? I did a search and could find nothing specific really, so if someone has one, I'd like to hear the good and bad about them.

I'd kinda like to keep the aluminum drums....they actually stop nice, and it's not a road race car anyway. Mostly street and occasional strip possibly. Thanks for any input...

And BTW - on another project, I'm finally going to weld my SFC's in, and I intend to get lower control arm relocation brackets. Is there any reason I should weld the brackets on before the SFC's, or does it even matter?
Old 02-16-2005, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the currie, same basic one as you, but with a spool, it's for an outright drag car, and I was very pleased. The salesperson offered a few suggestions, upgraded the carrier to the Nodular due to HP, but it's not a bad deal. I suspect that if you were REALLY good with a welder, had fixtures to fit the torque arm, LCA and other brackets, you 'could' make on cheaper yourself, but I sure couldn't. It arrived well packed, and it really just bolted in. The biggest problem I ran into was breaking out some of the 20 year old bolts.

I checked with Spohn, if you want to add the lca relocation brackets, you use the regular ones, not the ones for the Moser. I'm pleased with mine.

Steve
Old 02-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
I bought the stage 1 rear minus the 3rd member. It was a very easy install and a good quality. The sales guy had a disc brake upgrade for 100 bucks more that I wish I had done (got the 11 inch drums instead). Only problem I ran into was my stocker 3rd member was hitting their torque arm bracket just by a little tiny bit. Other than that, things just fell into place very easy.

Old 02-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks for the info EvilCartman and Mentor58! Looking at the pics, it seems to be a well built piece.

A couple of other questions if you don't mind.....

What was wrong with the 11" drums? Are the hubs GM bolt pattern, or Ford? And if I pay for the 100 dollar disc brake upgrade, do you know if it includes the rotors and calipers, backing plate also?

As I said above though, the stock aluminum drums I have on the car now stop nicely with no fading, so I'd like to be able to just bolt up the backing plates and re-use them if I could.

As impressive as the Bear brakes look, I just can't justify paying the amount they want for them. Again, Thanks!
Old 02-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Supreme Member

Nothing is wrong with the 11 inch drums, they bolted right up and stop the car The wheel bolt pattern is GM so no problems there. From what I understand, they're F150 rear drums just drilled for a GM wheel bolt pattern. I'd suspect the disc brake upgrade would come with everything to bolt it up and go. The drums just had to be bolted up to the housing, brake lines connected and fit the universal e-brake cables. GM brakes I don't think will bolt right up since the housing flange is Ford. You could always ask the sales rep on options.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Hey!! Just the info I was looking for!! Now I see I have a decision...I'll call them tomorrow and see what the disc upgrade consist of exactly, amoungst other things. If it includes the rotors, calipers then I'll probably go that route.

If it only means the housing will accept stock disc brakes, then I have to find that stuff myself=$$

Thx again.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:54 AM
Supreme Member

The rear disc package they were selling was a Ford Explorer rear disc setup with an internal drum parking brake. It's a real popular swap so I've read when doing research on buying a 9 inch. By the way, here's a pic of how the 11 inch drums were shipped, the drum itself isn't shown.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:42 PM
Supreme Member

Looks like the identical brakes I had on a Dodge Charger I owned for many years. Had no problems with them for 16 plus years (cept for a little brake fade when laying on it).......

One last question EvilCartman - You said in your original post that you wished you had gotton the disc upgrade, then you say the drums stop the car fine......guess I'm a little confused, excuse the pun!!

Oh, and again...Thxs! I have a much clearer view of what they offer. I'm sold!
Old 02-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

I would have liked to have gotten the disc brakes just more for looks. Like if I were to get some 17's that were really open, instead of seeing a big drum there, it would be nice to see a disc brake setup So more for looks rather than necessity.