Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Centerforce or Ram

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 83 Z28, 84 Z28
Engine: 5.0 Cross Fire, 5.0 H.O.
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto, 5 Speed Manual
Centerforce or Ram

Im in the market for a new clutch that i will be installing with my new T-56 tranny. Ive herd some good and some bad about both centerforce and ram clutches, but overall how do you guys feel about them.

also i would be purchasing the centerforce dual friction clutch, which says up to 90% better than stock. My worry is that this might me "too good" mabey im just paranoid, but will this effect drivabality of my car in any way?

btw im only running 190horse with 240tq... im installing the T-56 for future upgrades and to improve highway drivablilty.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Car: 1999 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10 Bolt
go for a spec, they make very nice clutchs.

sounds like all you would need is a spec stage 1.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:51 PM

Car: 94 Z-28
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56
I have a centerforce dual-friction and i absolutely love it. Its ultra smooth, feels like stock pedal and seems to work very well. I put about 5,000 miles on with my 305, and about 2,000 so far w/ the 355 and have yet to have problems. I am very satisfied and i'm confident u will be also.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 5.7L Supercharged
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70
You might want to do a search over at camaroz28.com on what clutch to pick for your t-56. As for SPEC after owning two of them I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, and a lot of other people would say the same thing.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:28 PM

but what does a 90% increase in holding capacity mean? will it affect highway drivability?
Old 12-12-2004, 04:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Bright Red 91 GTA
Engine: CARBED LT4
Transmission: MK6
Originally posted by z28cmr83
but what does a 90% increase in holding capacity mean? will it affect highway drivability?

that means the pressure plate #....a stock T-5 pressure plate is 1,800 pounds and the DF pressure plate is 3,400....
the pedal feel is stock and it holds like a MF'er...

im running well over 400 horse and it holds it no problem
Old 12-12-2004, 05:36 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: Stealth Rammed 412 with TC78 Turbo
Transmission: '93 T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt posi with PBR discs
Here's another vote for Centerforce. I'm running a Dual Friction with my T-56 and like it quite well. I had a RAM in my '69 GTO and was not impressed. I put a Dual Friction in and it held much better, although I found out that the main issue with clutches was my rear main oil leak Anyway, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Centerforce, it's a very strong and streetable clutch!

-Paul

...and it's so pretty too...
Attached Thumbnails Centerforce or Ram-secondtaclutchfromunderneath.jpg  
Old 12-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
I've had both, at one time or another. They are both good quality pieces. You won't be making a mistake with either.

I have the CF DF right now, I like it the best of any I've had.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by 12secformula
I have a centerforce dual-friction and i absolutely love it. Its ultra smooth, feels like stock pedal and seems to work very well. I put about 5,000 miles on with my 305, and about 2,000 so far w/ the 355 and have yet to have problems. I am very satisfied and i'm confident u will be also.
i can say the same thing about centerforce dual frictions, i used two in my car, i think they suck, i also know of a bunch of people that share the same opinion.

it also sucks when the LS1 guys cant shift their cars past 5k because the pressure plate tightens up so much that the clutch wont disengage enough to allow the tranny to change gears. this might not be a problem with the Lt1 clutch hydraulics, but with the LS1 hydraulic throw out bearing it is.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:58 PM
TGO Supporter

Originally posted by SLP IROC-Z
...it also sucks when the LS1 guys cant shift their cars past 5k because the pressure plate tightens up so much that the clutch wont disengage enough to allow the tranny to change gears. this might not be a problem with the Lt1 clutch hydraulics, but with the LS1 hydraulic throw out bearing it is.
Yeah, I've heard of this issue and it definitely does suck, it is not, however (to the best of my knowledge and experience) an issue at all with the LT1 style units. I've heard of issues with other aftermarket clutches and the LS1 hydruaulics also, however the Centerforce seems to be the biggest problem. Like I said though, it doesn't seem to be an issue with the LT1 setups. FWIW
Old 12-12-2004, 09:27 PM

as far as installing this clutch, or any clutch for that matter, on a hydraulic clutch (which btw i have no idea what that means)... is installation on hydraulic clutch any different than a regular clutch?
Old 12-12-2004, 09:39 PM
TGO Supporter

Nope no difference, use an alignment tool for lining up the disc and torque the pressure plate bolts down evenly. The hydraulic part is not the clutch itself but rather the disengagement mechanism. Older vehicles used a mechanical linkage from the clutch pedal to the clutch fork/throwout bearing (even early thirdgens, 82-83ish used this setup). Saying it is hydraulic is only referring to the fact that the disengagement is via a hydraulic system, not that the clutch itself is hydraulic. Hope that made sense, if not I'll try and clarify it
Old 12-13-2004, 11:00 AM

centerforce dual-friction

...it also sucks when the LS1 guys cant shift their cars past 5k because the pressure plate tightens up so much that the clutch wont disengage enough to allow the tranny to change gears. this might not be a problem with the Lt1 clutch hydraulics, but with the LS1 hydraulic throw out bearing it is.

well that is certainly not a problem w the L98s because i twist my engine 6500 rpm, and have never had a problem. My cars shifts ultra smooth and all the miles i have been driven hard, this clutch doesnt seem to give up. I love it, and sounds like as long as your not getting one for an LS1 you wont have a problem.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

i ran 2 dual frictions in my car, i think they are junk. not to mention the vibrations the centerforce pressure plate caused. spec time for me!
Old 12-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 iroc-z 5.7tpi 350,
Engine: 5.7tpi 350,
Transmission: T-56 fully built WOOHOO
Originally posted by SLP IROC-Z
i ran 2 dual frictions in my car, i think they are junk. not to mention the vibrations the centerforce pressure plate caused. spec time for me!
Id like to know how you diagnosed the virbration, theres lots of things that cause vibration, the most important is the way you install a a tranny/clutch all centerforces come balanced from the factory

my vote is for centerforce i have one and love it, but buy it from summitracing as they have the best price/customer service

www.summitracing.com
Old 12-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by porkyzilla
Id like to know how you diagnosed the virbration, theres lots of things that cause vibration, the most important is the way you install a a tranny/clutch all centerforces come balanced from the factory

my vote is for centerforce i have one and love it, but buy it from summitracing as they have the best price/customer service

www.summitracing.com

well when i changed clutchs to the centerforce i got a bad vibration arond 2000rpms. i changed flywheels, same deal. decided to start the car with with jut the flywheel on it, and whatta ya know no vibration. off balance pressure plate isnt that uncommon, the shop doing my machine work wants my flywheel and new clutch so they can balance it, i didnt even have to mention anything to him about my previous problem for him to suggest that.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:31 PM

because i am not running a high power - high tourque setup, will a dual friction still benefit me or will it do more harm than good because it is not necessary and it will cause my petal to feel un-stock?
Old 12-14-2004, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

no it will benifit you, and this feels like a all stock pedal infact it feels very nice, i can compare it to my fathers bmw, the good thing is that i was told by the tech department it can hold upto 700hp , this is the best buy for your money
Old 12-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by porkyzilla
i was told by the tech department it can hold upto 700hp , this is the best buy for your money
LoL
Old 12-14-2004, 09:08 PM

SLP IROC-Z.... there is no need to mach other people for what they have posted....Just because you had bad luck w/ the centerforce dual- friction clutch doesn't mean everyone else is an idiot. The fact your saying that your 305 overpowered the clutch or whatever should be questioned, the clutch you recieved may have been defective, and you should have called the manufacturer.......there is no need for you to continue your badmouthing centerforce for 1 bad experience, the fact of the matter is that there is alot of people who love there centerforce clutch including myself, so they are not that bad, I've heard horror stories on virtualy all products and sometimes they are accurate, but we have got your point.....spec for you, centerforce for almost everyone else. I was told by many that dual-friction clutches withstand alot of power and for what I have seen this is true, my engine has 400+ hp and is holding up very well. we appreciate your opinion on this matter but now let others speak their mind without your criticism.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Sorry, i originally meant to quote Tony89GTA, not you. my fault.

SLP IROC-Z.... there is no need to mach other people for what they have posted....Just because you had bad luck w/ the centerforce dual- friction clutch doesn't mean everyone else is an idiot.
i wouldnt write someone off as an idiot because of the clutch that they use, that is rediculas. i never flamed anyone, i stated my opinion, stuck up for what i think, answerd a members question and yes i do find it kind of rediculas that a centerforce rep told him that theyll hold a 700hp engine.

The fact your saying that your 305 overpowered the clutch or whatever should be questioned, the clutch you recieved may have been defective, and you should have called the manufacturer.......
I did, i returned it to the place i bought it from and they gave me another one. (i would never spend 270 dollars twice)

there is no need for you to continue your badmouthing centerforce for 1 bad experience
did you read my original reply to this thread? i said nothing bad about centerforce until another member bad mouthed the product i recommened. i stuck up for my opinion, as would anyone else. again, i didnt flame anyone.

the fact of the matter is that there is alot of people who love there centerforce clutch including myself, so they are not that bad, I've heard horror stories on virtualy all products and sometimes they are accurate, but we have got your point.....spec for you, centerforce for almost everyone else. I was told by many that dual-friction clutches withstand alot of power and for what I have seen this is true, my engine has 400+ hp and is holding up very well. we appreciate your opinion on this matter but now let others speak their mind without your criticism.
im glad your happy with your clutch, and i dont say that sarcasticly. it sux to spend 270 bux and be dissapointed and thats life. but u can bet that anyone that spends that kind of money and is not satisfied will express their feelings about the experience they had, thats what this thread is for, a discussion on clutches. the original thread starter did say centerforce or ram but im sure hes open to other options. i believe i posted valid issues i had with mine and there is nothing wrong with that. this is a civil debate and thats fine in my book.

Last edited by SLP IROC-Z; 12-14-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:10 PM

SLP IROC-Z.....I'm sorry may have been alittle hard on you I opologize. I understand that you have had a problem w/ centerforce, and i'm sure that that point has gotten across. I also understand you said nothing bad about centerforce until someone said the same about the product you run, but I just feel that the person where this post has originally posted the question isn't really getting any answers.....many are just bickering back and forth.

My opinion is that Ram, Centerforce, And Spec are all very reputable brands, but occasionally someone gets a faulty item, and the manufacturer should stand behind their product. In your case they may not have and that has alltered yuor opinion. My advice would be to get which ever suits your needs, they are each very good, and if you have problems give the manufacturer the chance to fix it, chances are you will be happy with any of those choices.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 5.7L EFI LTR setup
Transmission: T-5 World Class
to the original poster .......

You seem to be worried about the driveability issues. Maybe what you should be checking into is clutch materials ....not necassarily manufacturers. I here some people don't like ceramic clutches ....they seem to chatter a bit. Or others may seem to gummy after some aggressive launches. When you are talking to a clutch guy ...ask them what the material is .....and how different the clutch is going to feel. Threads like this are helpfull too , it gives you a feel for how many people are pissed at there clutches . I have heard nothnig good about senterforce myself ...nothing at all about ram ....and I have heard nothnig but good stuff about Spec (untill today )

Good luck
Old 12-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 12secformula
SLP IROC-Z.....I'm sorry may have been alittle hard on you I opologize. I understand that you have had a problem w/ centerforce, and i'm sure that that point has gotten across. I also understand you said nothing bad about centerforce until someone said the same about the product you run, but I just feel that the person where this post has originally posted the question isn't really getting any answers.....many are just bickering back and forth.

My opinion is that Ram, Centerforce, And Spec are all very reputable brands, but occasionally someone gets a faulty item, and the manufacturer should stand behind their product. In your case they may not have and that has alltered yuor opinion. My advice would be to get which ever suits your needs, they are each very good, and if you have problems give the manufacturer the chance to fix it, chances are you will be happy with any of those choices.
this is why i am refferring summit racing, cause they exchanged my clutch from the wrong flywheel i got, not centerforces fault, after 90 days, im buying from summit for life that was a great deed.