Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Have transgo shiftkit, got a question about blocking hole with plug

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 12:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Have transgo shiftkit, got a question about blocking hole with plug

In the instructions I have for my shift-kit state to plug a hole in the spacer plate for a checkball with an aluminum plug. Seems simple enough. Center the plug in the plate, put a metal block behind it, and mash it with a hammer to mushroom it out so it stays in place.

I saw somewhere else that states to sand it perfectly flush with the spacer plate, though. The problem I see is wont it pop out? The spacer plate I have now is beveled at the holes where the checkballs are from wear. It seems like it would just come right out on its own if sanded flat. Can I just leave it after Ive locked it in place for peace of mind? It doesnt look like it would interfier with anything since there is just open passages on either side.

(Pro-built: Id call but I cant seem to get near a phone during 'normal' buisness hours so I posted here instead.)
Old 10-30-2004, 08:09 AM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Have transgo shiftkit, got a question about blocking hole with plug

Originally posted by dimented24x7
In the instructions I have for my shift-kit state to plug a hole in the spacer plate for a checkball with an aluminum plug. Seems simple enough. Center the plug in the plate, put a metal block behind it, and mash it with a hammer to mushroom it out so it stays in place.

I saw somewhere else that states to sand it perfectly flush with the spacer plate, though. The problem I see is wont it pop out? The spacer plate I have now is beveled at the holes where the checkballs are from wear. It seems like it would just come right out on its own if sanded flat. Can I just leave it after Ive locked it in place for peace of mind? It doesnt look like it would interfier with anything since there is just open passages on either side.

(Pro-built: Id call but I cant seem to get near a phone during 'normal' buisness hours so I posted here instead.)
By hand, take a drill bit (about 5/16" - 3/8") and bevel both sides of the hole. Like a chamfer. Then when the plug is mashed into place it will expand out into the chamfered areas and lock it in.

The plugs do need to be flat with the plate to prevent warping and the consequent leaking. I used a fine flat file to get most of the excess plug off, then used emory cloth backed up with the file.

RBob.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Alright, sounds like a plan.

Im still a bit confused as to why it needs to be filed flat. On a casual inspection there appears to be enough space around that hole to allow for the expanded plug. I guess its more of a precautionary measure in case one squishes it out too far? Or is it just from the stress of the extra materal of the plug itself warping the plate in that area?