Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

700R4 After rebuild, w/transgo, not quite right.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 03:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 355 (fastburn heads, LT4 HOT cam)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt, 3.27
700R4 After rebuild, w/transgo, not quite right.

Been working on building this trans for a few months in my spare time. It is a core that I had bought, it had a bad pump in it. I put a good pump in it, and new clutches, band, etc... The core was a SRTA, out of a late 90's 2WD truck. I out a brand new (GM part I got from Ebay) valve body from a 90 or 91 caprice and a new transgo seperator plate. Did the Transgo Recal kit, and the GM 3-4 upshift valve (to allow OD at WOT). I also installed the highest stall OE replacement converter I could get (I think it was a DBF code).

Now, here's what I have. The 1-2 and 3-4 shifts , and TCC lockup are early, and I'm pretty sure that's the governor. However, the 2-3 is pretty late, and harsh. I have a feeling that PART of the harshness of the 2-3 is the TCC coming on just before, or at the same time as the shift. I put in the spring in the servo instead of the spacers. I really like the feel of the other shifts. The other problem I have is it doesn't want to drop back into first gear at a stop all the time. It seems to be better after warming up.

The accumulators won't make the timing of the shifts change, correct? I did change the springs in the timing side to what the "Green and Black" transgo kit says, should I just change them back and go from there, along with loosening up the governor? I haven't touched the governor since the 2-3 was late. I installed the green and black kit because the Recal Kit said it would work, and I wanted to have the timings right on, but ended up with this mess!

I have about 1500 miles on it now with no other problems (other than the servo cover blowing off twice, due to crud in the snap ring groove) Any suggestions?
Old 10-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Supreme Member

I did a search, and have some answers to the harsh 2-3, but not to it being so late.

I also didn't explain the problem with the 4-3 downshift. I manually downshift above 50 MPH, and it won't do anything until I get under power then it will drop into third, then when I let off I have engine braking. Now, at even higher speeds, I think around 70, even in man third, it will go into OD, or just lose engine braking.

Funny thing is, at hard throttle (above about 2/3) everything is great, other than being a bit early (governor).

Lost!!!!
Old 10-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: L03
Axle/Gears: Stock
It may have something to do with your converter. Did you match it with your engine and RPM range, or just slap in the biggest one you could find?
Old 10-03-2004, 01:30 AM
Supreme Member

Sorry, it has nothing to do with the converter. I know better than "slapping in the biggest one I can find". In fact, it could stand to be a bit higher stall, and smaller diameter, like a Vigilante, but I didn't have the $$$ right now for one. What I have is the highest STOCK (rebuilt) converter that I could get ahold of. The code for anyone who knows converters is DBF (IIRC).

I went on a couple hundred mile trip tonight and noted a few things.

The 2-3 isn't really harsh, it's just late, and the TCC is engaged, making it feel harsh. Also, at heavy throttle and WOT, the 2-3 is right in line with the other shifts, therefore, I'm not so sure about the spring on the 2-3 valve being the issue. I also noted the feel of it, and it does NOT feel like I have the binding issue that can come from combing shift kits, such as in this post: https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=184103 The 3-2 is also snappy, firm, but yet not binding, so, I feel the servo release, and 3-4 feed are ok. I think the early TCC will be solved by the Governer fix, but I don't really want to do this until I have the 2-3 right, because in-town driving is rough like it is! This really makes it confusing to me, now!

I should also mention that I do have the Vette servo installed. It is an aftermarket, by Sonnax, but I believe it is the same size as the regular Vette servo.

Also, does anyone have any fluid diagrams of how things go AFTER the Transgo reprogramming kit has been installed? Until readig the post I linked above, I had no idea that valve functions were "Hijacked" and turned into something else all together!

Thanks for reading this!

BTW...I've had great success with installing the "Green and Black" Transgo kit in the overhauls that I've done. Any issues I've had, have not been related to the kit in the past. This is however, my first Reprogramming kit installation! If all fails, I may get another, and use it on the valve body that I still have from this trans.