Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Progress report on Currie 9 inch install

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 06:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '82 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH400 4,000 stall
Axle/Gears: Currie 9", 4.56 gears
Progress report on Currie 9 inch install

It be done Haven't driven it yet, still one thing left to do, bleed the brakes plus it's 5am hehe. I'll get new pictures up in a min, here's an older one...

For the couple of people who were saying that it was a bad idea to put the housing in without the 3rd member, it was very easy to put it in this way. I just had the 3rd member setting on the jack, rolled it under the car, ballanced it with one hand and jacked it up with the other. Up and in it went with nothing getting in the way I did however have a small problem with the torque arm bracket hitting the 3rd member. Made up a couple of 1/4 inch spacers and problem solved. I'll write a bit more when I get the pictures uploaded.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 RS
Engine: 383 in building process
Transmission: 700r4
Awesome! Can't wait till you try it out & let us know how everything goes. Get those pics up for us too!
Old 06-10-2004, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Here's some more pics

This is the 3rd member I got from a friend of mine for 150 bucks. It was covered in a 1/4 inch of buildup and this is as clean as I got it hehe. Probably going to buy a different case next month so I'm not worried about looks right now. Also had to swap out the open carrier for the trac lok posi and buy a couple of bearings, no biggie.

Here's another shot of the torque arm bracket layed out of the way plus the 1310/R3 combo u-joint from napa peeking into the picture. Driveshaft length and clearance for the exhaust was no problem. With the 10 bolt in there, the driveshaft would actually hit the exhaust when the suspension was fully extended.

Huston, we have a problem! The red areas are where the bracket is hitting the case ribs You can also see the bolt at the top showing through the gap. It was slightly smaller than a 1/4 inch so...

I made two 1/4 inch spacers out of a bigger spacer that came with the rear end for shipping. The filler hole had to be put in too since this case didn't have one. 1/2 pipe thread and plug fixed that.

Torquing all the bolts was no problem except for the two bottom ones that you can't get a socket on. I just did them up best I could with a wrench. All the others were easy to get to even with the big torque wrench. What I didn't get a picture of was how I got the axle to stay put while the torque arm was off. All I did was cut a 2x4 to the right length and jam it under where the panhard bar bolts to the rear. Without it, the housing will rotate back quite a bit. You can use a jack too so you can adjust the angle when you're lining up the bolts. Can't wait to go out and drive it but first, I gotta get some rest hehe, 6am now
Old 06-10-2004, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: Trans am
well im glad to see that you were able to put it in with the housing in there. I dont think i could put mine in b/c of how we designed the torque arm mount. Good pics.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:30 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
Nice!

Now lets see with that 355, TH400 with 3k stall and some wrinkle walls we should be able to see some nice air under the front tires.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Supreme Member

Hummm just noticed my pictures not loading and my website is down Hope they'll be back up soon.

SSC, I'm actually planning on going to the track in a couple days I doubt it'll pick the front end up, haven't done anything with the suspension other than the torque arm. I do have a set of Hoosier quicktime pro 26x11.50x15 tires ready to slap on though Might stick them on later today to see if anything is going to break lol.

huh, how about that.. in the time that it took for me to write this and check on my website, the pics are back up
Old 06-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Supreme Member

Went out for a short drive and had a couple problems. Front pinion seal is leaking like crazy and I didn't have all the air out of the brake lines.. Brakes are fix and I'm doing the seal tomorrow.

How's it drive? holy chit the RPM's go up quick I got a rolling start in 1st and punched it, the backend swayed around a bit, straightened it up then hit second and went sideways a bit again. The tires I have are pretty grippy for street tires, another set I tried would just spin all day long even with the 305. What a huge difference between 3.42 gears and now the 4.56 gears