Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

gear swap!!! Should I do it or get a mechanic??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 02:48 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: Carbed L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
gear swap!!! Should I do it or get a mechanic??

Ok guys I need some help.

I have been trying to find someone to install a new gear set. No one around here does it except for a few people. They said $250 for the install.

I am tossing the idea around about doing it myself. Now I do have quite a bit of mechanical knowledge and skills. I have worked with motors, trans, and have been removed axles and carriers before.

If I bought the tools, do you think I should try it? I may need you guys to walk me through the adjustments, but I think I can do it.

Need advice! thanks.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:30 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skill isn't so much an issue as tools and equipment. requires a lot of stuff most people don't have. indicator, in/lb dial type torque wrench, press ,bearing seperator, dial caliper, depth mic
Old 03-31-2004, 03:59 PM
RMK

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: modded LB9
Transmission: Pro Built 700R4
I'm going to be attempting mine myself when it comes to the time. How hard can it be? Get some instructions on what to do, and just check back here if you get stuck. From what I've read it doesn't seem overly complicated.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
If you want to invest in the tools, then go for it, then when you get proficient in gear swaps, you can start doing them to make some cash.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Yeah, the tools wont be the problem, I have some of them.

I am just use to doing everything to my car myself. Very few things do I have someone else do.

I would like to try it. I just dont want to end up messing the rear up and being out more $ than if I would have had it done.

I have one more guy that may do it for me. He sets up alot of race cars, so he is use to it. I think I can get him to set it up for $100 or so. If he will, It would be cheaper than buying the rest of the tools I need.

I need to get this done asap so I can get to the track and get new times. I still will need to break it in. I've got racing fever!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2013 Challenger RT
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 6 spd
Axle/Gears: 3:92
I paid to have the rear gears done on my 10 bolt, because there is a tool required for setting the pinion depth. The ProForm tool bolts to the bearing saddle, but in a video I watched on gear changes they explaned that the saddles on the housings are all differen't and that there is another type of pinion depth setting tool that actually gets bolted in like the carrier, and is very acurate. But its like $400.00. The local Pontiac dealer had one so I let them do it.

(they raked me over the coals and for the price they charged me I could have bought that tool, done it myself and still saved over $350.00 )

If you pay someone to do it, get it in writing first.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Originally posted by my3rdgen
I paid to have the rear gears done on my 10 bolt, because there is a tool required for setting the pinion depth. The ProForm tool bolts to the bearing saddle, but in a video I watched on gear changes they explaned that the saddles on the housings are all differen't and that there is another type of pinion depth setting tool that actually gets bolted in like the carrier, and is very acurate. But its like $400.00. The local Pontiac dealer had one so I let them do it.

(they raked me over the coals and for the price they charged me I could have bought that tool, done it myself and still saved over $350.00 )

If you pay someone to do it, get it in writing first.
Yeah, I checked with the local GM dealer and they said over $500 and it would take 10 hours. No way it would take that long.

I checked a guy and hopefully he can get to it monday. I dont think he will break me up, (crosses fingers)

later