Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T5 keeps kicking the stick out of first gear!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 03:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: T5
T5 keeps kicking the stick out of first gear!

I don't know what's wrong. For some reason, I'll push in the clutch, put it in first. Start to move and sometimes it will make this loud clunk and knock it out of first. It doesn't do this with any other gear. Lately I've been starting in second gear so it doesn't happen. The weird thing is, it only does it once in a while. It kicks it out kind of like if you didn't have it in gear all the way or you try to push it in gear without the clutch. What could be wrong with it? Do you think it has anything to do with my shifter? I installed a Hurst competition plus with one of those short shifters for a T56. I have been driving with this shifter for a bit but recently somebody ran into my quarter panel and then this happened. Do you guys think it has anything to do with that? Maybe the short shifter isn't engaging into gear all the way? Would a bad tranny mount do this? Thanks for any help!
Old 02-05-2004, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86\92 Mutant
Engine: 355CI 430HP
Transmission: T-5 with mods
Axle/Gears: 7.625", Eaton Posi, 3.73
Re: T5 keeps kicking the stick out of first gear!

Originally posted by elevario
I don't know what's wrong. For some reason, I'll push in the clutch, put it in first. Start to move and sometimes it will make this loud clunk and knock it out of first. It doesn't do this with any other gear. Lately I've been starting in second gear so it doesn't happen. The weird thing is, it only does it once in a while. It kicks it out kind of like if you didn't have it in gear all the way or you try to push it in gear without the clutch. What could be wrong with it? Do you think it has anything to do with my shifter? I installed a Hurst competition plus with one of those short shifters for a T56. I have been driving with this shifter for a bit but recently somebody ran into my quarter panel and then this happened. Do you guys think it has anything to do with that? Maybe the short shifter isn't engaging into gear all the way? Would a bad tranny mount do this? Thanks for any help!
Two possible problems:

1) If the shifter has adjustable stops...check to make sure that the adjustment is correct. May not be travelling far enough to fully engage synchro hub.

2) 1st gear syncho hub damaged or too much end play in mainshaft. Only way to tell if this is problem is to pull tranny apart.

Note: Accident might have caused this ( long shot ). If car was in gear when it happened , shock load could have damaged transmission internals. Strange....but I've seen it happen.

I don't quite understand what shifter you are using on your T5. From what I can fathom...it's a Hurst Competition for a T56. Is that correct? If so I would try the stock shifter again. Geometry might not be the same with the T56 shifter.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: Internal Combustion
Transmission: Completed
Axle/Gears: ones that turn.
I'm thinking it's time for an R&R session to replace the first gear gearset.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: T5
Hey guys thanks for the help! I have a Hurst Competition plus shifter in the car. IT's for a T5. Then I got one of those short sticks on ebay for it. It was for a T56 but it works fine on the Hurst shifter. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2458834772 this is a link to what's attached. I found out that the adjustable stops got messed up. I only hand tightened the screw and nut. So it came loose and made the stop in first gear to short which is why the tranny kicked it out. THis time I tightened the crap out of the nut and bolt with a wrench so maybe it won't come loose. Maybe I should have got some lok tite or something. But anyways, thanks for replying!