Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

bent/twisted DS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003 | 08:52 PM
Supreme Member

bent/twisted DS?

i was having i bad vibration at speed lately...and after checking the pinion angle, put in new u-joints, and so on, i finally tried to put in a different stock drive shaft i had.

well the car finally drives smooth again, but my question is what could happen to a stock STEAL drive shaft? could i actually twist it? i've been wanting to change to aluminum, but im not sure now. the vibe started to happen at the track, while i was running slicks. there are no dents or anything visably wrong with it, and both balance weights are still on it.

how much stronger is chrome moly then steel? how about vibrations and weight?
Old 11-05-2003 | 07:06 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Car: '89 Z28tt
Engine: Dart Little M Twin Turbo
Transmission: T56
FWIW, I've torn the 1LE driveshaft in half at the dragstrip, and bent a different driveshaft as well. The old steel one was replaced a long time ago to fix the HS vibeshaft. I've got the Denny's MMC 3.5" dia driveshaft with billet yokes right now, but it's overkill for most people.

So, yes, bending the driveshaft can happen. Check it with a long straight edge, such as a level. I'd also tape or paint some straight lines along the length. If its twisted, it's much easier to verify.
Old 11-07-2003 | 03:49 PM

Car: 85 TA
Engine: 350 :Holley Carbw/headers
Transmission: T5 rock crusher (dying)
I had a three inch diameter steel shaft made locally but missed out on getting the forged yokes. It cost me $350.00 I have seen aluminum ones in jegs for $300w/forged yokes. How much does Denny's charge for the 3.5" and do you have any time slips? Twin turbos must really make that thing fly!