Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Transmission kaputt: Lost reverse & OD

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission kaputt: Lost reverse & OD

Hi guys,

I'm sure transfixleo, GMTech and probuilt have seen this one a million times before, judging from what I searched on so far.

I was merging on the highway and just did WOT, the tranny kind of late shifted from 2nd to 3rd (but firm) and then when I let off in 3rd I noticed it wasn't shifting into 4th. I would let of the gas and the rpms would be at ~1500 at ~70-80 mph and as soon as I would touch the gas it would rev back up to 3000. So I exited immediately and on my way home tried shifting a bit. It wouldn't shift into what was perceptably 3rd until I would shift the trans into OD. But the shiftpoints were wierd and kind of late.
Of course, all of a sudden when it was, I think, trying to shift into 4th I heard krkrkrkrkrkr, so I let off and babied it home.

One of these days I think I lost a trans mount, and for a while now the tranny was taking its time shifting (when I would change gears it would take 1-2 seconds for it to actually "react") and it was making funny noises when the car is stopped in drive or reverse.

I think the trans fluid smells burnt. It didn't at the beginning, but at the end it definitely didn't smell like trans fluid.

I can't go in reverse (it just whines). I really doubt it's the TV cable.

I added some trans fluid just to be sure (a stupid idea, I think I overfilled it), and it didn't do anything.

I live in Cali and I looked at some stuff probuilt offers. In any case I was planning on buying a backup car, so I guess I'll have to buy it sooner. The stuff from Probuilt looks good but I really can't say anything before I know the Haynes trans repair manual inside out.

Any insights guys? Since reverse is lost, I'd say it's the sun shell.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ttt