Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Anyone here running a Clutchless Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 01:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Anyone here running a Clutchless Trans?

Just curious if anyone here is running a clutchless transmission? Dragracing or Roadracing, it dosnt matter to me. I'd like to hear what you're using and what you think. Currently I'm looking for a roadracing trans for my drift/roadrace project and a few of the tranmission manufactuers I'm considering: Richmond, Jerico, and G-Force. What do you guys think?
Old 07-30-2003, 06:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Bright Red 91 GTA
Engine: CARBED LT4
Transmission: MK6
for clutchless id be all over that jerico...

theres a reason the winston cup guys use them...
800+ hp and 550 ft pounds+powershift= strong tranny!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah! The reason I want a clutchless trans is so I'm sure it can handle the abuse of powershifting. I want a tranny that can powershift on throttle because I can use the jolt in the driveline to kick the rear out (for drifting). One of the common techniques used in drifting is a clutchkick, at high rpm's you kick the clutch causing the rear to kick out. But I dont want to be replacing my clutch every few months, so I think a clutchless trans built for powershifting (up and down on throttle) is better suited for track drifting (and roadracing, shifting off throttle).
Old 07-31-2003, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 2000 astro
Engine: 4.3
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 7.5 with 3.42 gears
stupid question, but how do you get the transmission into first gear? and how do you downshift?
Old 07-31-2003, 08:26 PM
Supreme Member

Well there is still a clutch. When you start off in 1st its like a normal transmission, but when it comes time to shift to 2nd you can just shift and there is no need to use the clutch. Now the question is, are you shifting on throttle or off throttle? If you are shifting on throttle then its like doing a powershift and for a moment you might loose traction. On the drag strip this would make your car chirp or maybe burnout if you had enough power and not enough grip. On the roadcourse, you will have different results. If you want to grip then you dont want to shift on throttle, you let off for a split second, shift, then on throttle again. Majority of these transmissions are used in this manner. But if you want to drift, shifting on throttle can be a really effective way of breaking the rear end out. Combine that with weight transfer and you'll have no problem initiating a controlled powerslide (or drift). Same thing goes for downshifting, you dont need to use the clutch, but knowing your engine's powerband in relation to your gear and speed is very important. If you are done racing and you want to stop, just take it out of gear. The transmissions I'm looking at are alot different from powerglides (with the ***** and stuff) if thats what you were thinking. Having this freedom of shifting can make it easy to damage the rest of your setup, so you need to make sure you have a revlimiter on the motor, and the driveshaft and rearend have to be very strong (aftermarket rearend for sure). I'm also going to install a scattershield just in case. I could get away with using a regular transmission, but I think this will be alot more fun for drifting, and it will last alot longer than a regular transmission being abused.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Bright Red 91 GTA
Engine: CARBED LT4
Transmission: MK6
were can you get them from and how much are they..
Old 08-01-2003, 06:47 AM
Supreme Member

http://www.jericoperformance.com

http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com

http://www.richmondgear.com/

Be aware these are in the 3500 - 6500 price range.