Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

H E L P - M E ! - I am ready to drive my car off a cliff!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 01:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 Anniversary Edition
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner 5-Speed

POST IS LONG, BUT PLEASE READ IT, I SERIOUSLY NEED HELP!!!!

Seriously, my car is pissing me off. I am even considering selling it because I have come to the conclusion that I will never have any money for mods, because whenever I save any money, it goes to repairs instead!

Here is my problem. I'll go back to when it all started actually. I bought the car last summer. The week I bought it the original clutch died on it. So I got a new one. Now this new one... they installed it incorrectly from the start. Or perhaps they didn't complete the installation correctly ( I know for a fact they didn't resurface the flywheel, other than that I don't know ). Anyhow, that new clutch ended up dying about 1 month later - it always drived like **** anyway with this new clutch, and I knew it was gone when the tranny was slipping like crazy.

So I took it back. It was under warranty so all I had to pay was labour ($300... still expensive to me). They said the clutch was totally burnt, big time. It was not my fault however, everybody knew something was wrong with this clutch from the start. So anyhow, they replaced the clutch.

I went to pick the car up with the new clutch. I sat down in it. Turned it on, drove around the block... It was great, this time they resurfaced the flywheel, and it felt amazing! Drove like a dream. Then I turned down the window, and all I heard was a loud whistling/ticking sound. So I circled back to the garage, and told them "what gives, I just picked the car up and it already has a problem". In any case they told me the clutch might have to work itself in and told me to drive around for a week, and if the problem didn't go away, to come back.

I ended up coming back.

Turned out to be the throwout bearing. They took EVERYTHING out, the entire 5-speed tranny, checked it over, changed the bearing, and put everything back in. The sound was gone.

I picked up the car, drove it for almost 2 months, no problems...

Then before I put the car into storage, infact, the day I went to put the car into storage for the winter, I was parking the car in the garage one night, and the sound was back!!! I said pretty much "ah forget it" and decided to put the car away and worry about it this summer instead. Called the mechanic just incase, and he said wait till this summer, wait over the winter, and call him if it continues.

Well in any case, I pulled the car out yesterday, and it's back.

What is the problem? Let me explain it... When I have the clutch fully pulled out, it is that tick/whistling sound. You accelerate and it gets a little louder. The sound is seriously annoying, I am ready to shoot myself! The sound goes completely away when you push the clutch pedal down (even the slightest, you can push it 1 millimetre and the sound will go away).

The strange thing is, the sound comes and goes as it pleases almost. For instance, I was driving around all night yesterday and had the sound. I parked the car... woke up this morning, started the car, and it would be totally fine. I would have no sound. Then after about 10-15 minutes of driving, the sound makes its appearance again. Sometimes it seems like it almost goes away, but it doesn't. I'm thinking perhaps it has something to do with the engine temperature but I am unsure.

Like I said, I think it's the throwout bearing, but I want to know a complete diagnosis from you tranny experts of my problem and help me out. I am coping with the sound right now... if I have to do something like replace the clutch again or something like that, I seriously want to get a new mechanic to do it because it seems the guy who works for my mechanic at the garage doesn't know what he's doing. Either that or something else is up... Please help me out guys, appreciate it!

BTW, the car is a 1992 Camaro Z28, 5L TPI, 5-Speed with 50,000 miles....
Old 04-21-2003, 01:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Camaro Z28 Anniversary Edition
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner 5-Speed
By the way, I don't know if this helps but, it seems like the sound comes also when I push the car.

For instance, when I started it up tonight going out for a coffee, there was no sound. But if I make a pass down the street pushing the car, the sound comes almost immediately if I remember correctly.

In any case it's puzzling.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Bright Red 91 GTA
Engine: CARBED LT4
Transmission: MK6
yea dude my throwout bearing did the same thing...

like a little annoying squeek right...

it goes away when u put a little pressure on the clutch because the slack is taken out..the bearing starts to load up so the squeek goes away..

mine started doing it after the 50th clutch drop lol....
Old 04-21-2003, 02:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!
Try putting a little (very little lithium grease) on the clutch fork where the fork contacts the throw-out bearing. If you keep pre-maturely wearing out clutches, throw-out bearings etc..., you may have a bent clutch fork or other bent/broke hard parts in the tranny. The noise could also be the driveshaft rubbing something under the car, like the torque-arm, exhaust, etc.... Check to see if ALL of your torque-arm bolts are tight. If that fails, then invest in an adjustable slave cylinder. With that, you could adjust it enough to make that chirping go away.

This may not help, but this is what I would look for first if I had the problem. Happy hunting!

Mike (1bad91Z)
Old 04-21-2003, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
The post right behind yours, while you were posting it, which was the very top post on this page, which you should have already read....

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=172122

It's amazing what you can find sometimes if you look.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1982 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Re: H E L P - M E ! - I am ready to drive my car off a cliff!!!!

Originally posted by easySPEEDcamaro

Like I said, I think it's the throwout bearing, but I want to know a complete diagnosis from you tranny experts of my problem and help me out.
Complete diagnosis without seeing it? It's under warranty so take it back. Ask them to use a GM throwout bearing and not an aftermarket replacement...it's worth it to them just to get you clear of their shop.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:59 PM

Please posts some pics!
Old 05-11-2003, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A thought

There is something called a pilot bearing that the engine end of the transmission shaft goes into. It is usually part of the flywheel assy in the center. I am not sure about this particular setup but if you replace the clutch, pressure plate, resurface the flywheel and replace the throwout bearing you should make sure they put in a new pilot bearing also. If the pilot bearing gets worn it will allow the transmission shaft to vibrate which could cause sounds and could also make other parts wear faster.

I may be off base as I guessing on this from other cars, 68 firebird and a 83 nissan sentra that I had to do trany or clutch work on.

Good luck

dzimmerm