Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Moser 12 bolt install

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 09:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: F1R Procharged 383
Transmission: Tremec 600
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt, 4.11's 33 spline axl
Moser 12 bolt install

I figured id share my experience with the moser install this past week.

First i pulled out the old 10 bolt in about 30 minutes, next i had to decide what i was gonna do about the SSM lift bar setup.

I was toying with the idea of making new flanges to fit the 3" tubes on the 12 bolt, but the old ones cut off so cleanly that i just enlarged the cutouts by 3/16" to maintain the proper distance between the bar and the axle centerline. It took a considerable amount of time to get them perfect, and then it was time to bolt the new rear in the car and do some setup.

The driveshaft wouldnt fit, because the tremec is slightly longer than a stock tranny. New custom 3" steel shaft solved that problem....its also lighter than the stock one.

after torqueing all the suspension parts back onto the 12 bolt, it was time to set the pinion angle.....with the axle tubes resting on jack stands i used a floor jack and a wood block under the lip of the diff cover to rotate the axle to the proper angle i wanted (4 deg down). Then it was time to tack the lift bars in place on the axle tubes.....

They of course wouldnt slip on....so i unbolted them, and fit them on the tubes and tried to rebolt them.....no luck they were about a 1/2 inch too long. weird.

some careful grinder work and several hours and swears later they fit perfect and i tack welded them in place.

then i removed the rear end from the car again, and got it up on the bench for finish welding. This was taking place while i was trying to procure the right disc brake parts. which i got at the boneyard for 100 bucks....calipers, brackets, ebrake brackets, proportioning block etc.

then i had the caliper bracket holes machined to 3.150 to fit the OD of the bearing on the axles, and a shim made to got inside the bracket hole and hold the bearing in with the retainer plate. Then i painted everything, assembled the brakes on the bench, installed the axles, and bolted the bad boy in the car.

The rear has 4.10 richmond gears, eaton posi, 33 spline custom alloy axles, disc brakes, and a ,moser engineering aluminum support cover.

if your car is stock, or has a close to stock-type setup this housing would bolt in, in about 45 minutes if your car already had disc brakes
Old 03-19-2003, 12:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome