Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Mini Spool same as posi?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Super Sport
Engine: 388 ci
Transmission: TH-700R4, 3500 Stall
Mini Spool same as posi?

I am getting ready to re-build my 91 10 bolt rear end and want to go with posi traction and lower gears. I am going with Richmond's 4:10, but need to know before I order this Eaton posi unit if I can use a mini spool and get somewhat similar resualts?

Some one told me that they were running a mini spool in there 70 Nova and it worked great, and told me to look into it before I buy a Eaton posi unit. The spool is much cheaper (that dam Eaton unit is $400).

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-15-2002, 03:22 PM
ede
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
only mini spool i ever saw was for 26 spline axles so it wouldn't work in your rear. it'll lock the rear so you'll have problems unless all you do is go straight. if you still want a mini spool i have a new never installed one around here some where, 65 dollars and i'll pay shipping.
Old 11-15-2002, 03:59 PM

You dont want a mini spool they are for racing only. your car wont turn good at all and you can even brake axles!! If the axles dont brake then your tires will burn off without spinning them. A friend of mine has a spool in his 89 5.0 mustang and it sucks i would go with the posi for the extra money.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:51 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
A full spool replaces the entire carrier. It has no side gear. It locks the 2 axles together so they'll always turn the same speed.

A mini spool is just a poor mans full spool. You remove the side gears and the mini spool fits inside an open carrier replacing the side gears. It also locks the axles just like a full spool however there is only so much strength in the tiny mini spool since it's inside the main open carrier.

Both a spool and mini spool will always have both axles locked together. When you go around a corner there is no differential action. The outside wheel wants to turn faster than the inside wheel. When the axles are locked, the outside wheel will slide across the pavement trying to keep up since it can't turn fast enough.

For street use, buy a posi or a Torsen diff.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
What he said, and add a powertrax locker as a possibility.
Old 11-16-2002, 04:51 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
Powertrax is the easyest way to go unless your planning on a gear swap or somthing that you would need to dissasemble the whole rear end anyway. The Eaton unit is nice Ive got one in my truck but I had to re-shim the entire rear end IMO not worth the hassle, (carrier threw it off). PowerTrax units are easy to install only takes a couple hours if you take your time and read instructions.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:54 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...TNUMBER=64501T

thats the one from slp, its the oem posi..
Old 11-17-2002, 09:17 AM

Well, thanks for the heads up. I guess that mini spool is only for stright line drag racing and that's it! I am giong to be driving my car on the street as well, so a normal posi unit is a must.

This stock oem unit listed above is this going work good? I assume it fits my 1991 stock 10 bolt? This is some of the info copied...

"Differential, O.E.M. Zexel-Torsen Camaro/Firebird

It's an O.E.M. Zexel-Torsen 7.5" & 7.625" differential found in most 1998-2002 Camaros & Firebirds (with 28 spline axles). It will also fit 1982-1997 Camaros & Firebirds (1982-88 requires changing to 28 spline axles).

NOTE: This is a 3-series differential"

This is my rear end?

If so, thanks a bunch..... I have been looking at eaton and that unit is just too much IMO. This $100 unit is just right.

Thanks so much guys.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:53 PM

i have run a mini spool in my car for going on 3 years. the only complaint i have is when making really tight turns in reverse one tire likes to hop. i have seen no unusual tire wear. as a matter of fact the tires on my car are 4 years old and i can't seem the wear them out lol. 245/50/16 goodyear american eagles. a mini spool will however pose a problem in rainy/snowy conditions making turns. the rear will almost immediately slide out with even the lightest throttle. not a big problem if your car is just a nice weather driver like mine is. plus you can always save the spider gears to go back to an open rear for the winter if need be.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:17 PM

Yes it will work ... I have one of those SLP's in my 91 camaro mated with some 3.42 gears
Old 11-19-2002, 02:39 AM

Car: 1989 Formula 350 WS6
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700-R4 2600 stall
The SLP unit is great for the money It'll hold about 450 or so hp.(for a little while, atleast)

The INSIDE tire will spin faster during a turn.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:20 PM

So, In a purely street driven (With Normal street radials tires) car the best would be the SLP Differential, O.E.M. Zexel-Torsen Camaro/Firebird wich you note to be capable of handling 450hp?

If I never put Drag Slicks, Drag Radials, Or Slicks in general just high perf ZR rated Tires this would be the Differential to get?

Also to my understanding If you dont put very wide Tires (More than 305) and the tire is allowed to spin is very difficult to break your gearbox/differential/rear no matter how much hp/torque you have? Is just the very high stress that very sticky tires (Drag Slicks) that dont allow any spin the thing that break everything on the driveline?

Are those assumtions right???

Are those Diferentials the one's used on sport cars?

Thanks for any help you could provide to dissipate the mess I have now on my head, about the ratings of gearboxes, driveshafts and rears, I now supose that if you put Drag Slicks on a Viper (Or any other high hp sport car) and launch very very hard you will break something no matter if the gearbox was rated at more than the stock car power (Torque-HP).

I know its always the weakest link the one that broke, but with stock tires or even upgraded street ones the thing that broke is tracktion no?

Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:02 PM

Dam the luck... Only 450 HP or so... :-( Well, for the money I will try it for now anyway. My car will be making on motor alone close to or over 500 ponies, plus its all forged, so a "little" 200 shot of N20 will also be added. I think that posi unit will break. I am thinking a mini spool just for racing and some small street (summer time) driving will be my best bet.

Cany anyone say if that oem posi unit will hold????

Input?

THANKS
Old 11-19-2002, 09:49 PM

So just to get this straight. The OEM diff from SLP is a posi/limited slip (because they are the same thing) unit right? Are they just pull outs from Z28's that SLP make SS's out of? I am looking to replace the ****ty 2.77's and it's expensive 9 bolt in my car with the 10 bolt I took out awhile back. So if this SLP unit is truely a positive traction rearend I'm going to get it. I take it that it is being a series three carrier. So just for clarification, it is right, I just can't get over it being so cheap.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:23 PM

Mini spool?

Egads! Mini spools? No way on the street, just an accident looking to happen. Check out www.amazingmechanical.com for a workin' deal
Old 11-20-2002, 11:49 AM

Re: Mini spool?

Originally posted by Ian Thomson
Egads! Mini spools? No way on the street, just an accident looking to happen. Check out www.amazingmechanical.com for a workin' deal
i've had a mini spool in my car for years now and never had any problems out of it.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:33 PM

mini spool

You mean you're running a 9" Ford with a Mini Spool and no problems other than the tire wear and the twitchy handling on the road? Break an axle or a diff carrier and then tell me about it. They are flat dangerous in a road car. If you chose to ignore that, it's your business and hopefully you don't take anyone else with you when you go. There is a reason why every race-sanctioning body requires hardened axles to be run with a spool.
Old 11-21-2002, 07:56 PM

DAM! Posi unit it is... I still want to drive my beast on the road sometimes...

Thanks for the warning and info guys!
Old 11-22-2002, 04:01 PM

Re: mini spool

Originally posted by Ian Thomson
You mean you're running a 9" Ford with a Mini Spool and no problems other than the tire wear and the twitchy handling on the road? Break an axle or a diff carrier and then tell me about it. They are flat dangerous in a road car. If you chose to ignore that, it's your business and hopefully you don't take anyone else with you when you go. There is a reason why every race-sanctioning body requires hardened axles to be run with a spool.
there guys around here running mini spools and full spools on the streets with ALOT more power than i have and some of them even on cheater slicks and have never broke an axle. and out of about the 5 or 6 that i know only one of them is running mosier axles. all the rest are using their stock ones. i could see where using a mini spool on the street would break stock axles which is why i don't run slicks or dr's on the road. but i have been running mini spools for a couple years now and after my buddies were tired of roasting posi's they followed suit. i never heard of anyone HAVING to run hardened axles cuz most of these guys race at our local track.