Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

WC or NWC

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WC or NWC

I want to buy a rebuild kit for my T-5 Tranny when I see 2 different types... WC and NWC, I have never heard of this. I go to my local Pontiac dealer and the Parts Mngr. has never heard of it either. I had him look up the #s with the little metal tag and he told me that it just said T-5 tranny... So can anyone shed some light on this... Btw my car is a 86 T/A and the tranny #s are:
Wg 13-52-072 615DT_U on a Green tag with a barcode on the top of the tranny case. And The #s on the tag are: 44084168 k2353
13-52-072 34485
Old 09-20-2002, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z28
Engine: 305 TPI-New 355 on the engine stand
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Eaton posi-Soon a 9" Ford!
If the car is stock and the trans hasn't been swapped out, you have a NWC trans. The difference is in the cluster bearings, syncros, and roller bearings on a couple of the gears on the main shaft. And, before you ask, you can not upgrade a NWC to WC specs.

Before you order the rebuild kit, pull the trans and inspect it for damage. It might not be rebuildable. I just pulled apart a T5 in my employee's S15 and it's completely gone. Over $2000 to rebuild it in parts alone. So he looked around and got a Blazer for $350 that had a motor going bad, but had a good trans. He drove it over here and we finished up swapping the tranny's yesterday. So, if there are too many damaged parts, think about finding a replacement trans.

How much did your dealer want for a rebuid kit? Hanlon motorsports has a really nice kit for $140. I just did my NWC with their kit and video. Went pretty smoothly except the video is geared more to the WC than a NWC, but you still should get the video. It covers setting up the end play on the main shaft and basically shows you how to completely disasemble and assemble the entire trans. The only different is the video doesn't cover setting the end play on the cluster on a NWC, or the fifth gear thrust washer set up on a NWC. But that's easy. I can walk you through it. Well worth the $20 it cost for the video. You can contact hanlon at www.hanlonmotorsports.com

Before I forget it, you need some special tools. They are, two kinds of snap ring pliers, dial indicator and mag base, caliper to measure shim thickness, bearing spreader and press. You can go to a machine shop and have the press work done, and a dial indicator and base is about $20 for a cheap one which will be perfect for a one time use. Even if you had to buy the press, you would be money ahead doing it yourself verses having a shop do it. My NWC shifts better than when the car was new. So don't be afraid of a T5. They are easy with the video. Good luck-Dan

Last edited by alloy; 09-20-2002 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:54 PM

Thanks for all the great info, I guess I'll get going instead of letting my car sit on Jack stands for another month...
Old 09-23-2002, 12:22 AM
Supreme Member

Sorry for the non-tech part of this but I noticed your from Santa Maria. I grew up there and still visit once a year or so.

Have you checked With Duane Clark about how much he'd want to fix you up? If he's still there he could probably take care of what ails you for a decent price if you didn't feel comfy doing it yourself. I had him do a muncie for me years ago and was more than sastisfied.