Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

T-56 swap into an automatic car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: Built L98
Transmission: T-56 6 speed
T-56 swap into an automatic car...

Hmmm..now for swapping in a T-5 trans into an auto 3rd gen. I knwo you need the pedal set up and what not...but what if your swapping in a T-56...can I use the 4th gen pedal set up? or do I need a t-5 set up?
Old 09-19-2002, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

well i just got through putting my pedals in 2 days ago for my t-56 swap. i used the t-56 pedals.. heres how it went for me....

on the stock automatic pedals. the gas and the brake are seperate peices. on the 4th gen (95 camaro) pedals, the clutch, brake, and gas were ALL one piece. I immediatley cut the bracket holding on the gas pedal because it would be WAY to hard to install. and then i later realized that the gas pedal bolts are different anyways, so you have to reuse ur stock gas pedal. which in my case was bigger and looked better and fit just perfect. the second BIG problem i had was with the bolt holes which the studs from the brake booster went into. there are for studs which are on the mounting bracket for the brake booster, and they fit through he firewall, and u bolt the brake\clutch assembly to those 4 bolts. I spent 3 days trying to get it to line up and pushed back before i realized that the bolt holes on the 4th gen pedal assembly were to small. So u will probably have to drill out the top holes of the brake pedal assembly bigger. it was easier for me to remove the brake booster and just fit he brake\clutch pedal assembly on there until the holes were big enough and fit good. mounting the clutch master cylinder and bolting that up was pretty easy. there will be a bracket which is part of the brake\clutch assembly which also bolts up to the clutch master cylinder bolts, simular to the brake booster. and this will become much more clear when u see for urself.

so to recap my main points:
1. cut off the gas pedal bracket from the clutch\brake pedal assembly, you will NOT use this, so cut it as close to he assembly as possible.
2. drill out the top holes larger on the brake\clutch pedal assembly. (you may not need to do this, because i did notice some extra spacers welded onto the brackets which made the holes smaller)

once i realized the last step needed to be done. it took me about 10 min to get the pedals bolted up.

and it is 100% easier to lower the steering wheel. any more Q's then please ask
Old 09-20-2002, 05:23 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
breathment, you are right on.
i used the 4th gen pedals, and we did exactly the same as you did, except we decided to use the 4th gen gas pedal
matt
Old 09-20-2002, 09:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Yet another 350 TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner 6 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Although the third gen pedals aren't a direct bolt in either, they were much easier to install than that. The only problem to worry about is that the hole in the clutch mc pushrod is too big for the clutch pedal to engage snugly (its too small actually, but if you remove the plastic insert from the hole, its too big). So basically, you have to get a little creative to do things right. You can leave it loose like that, but I don't like doing things half-assed.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 T/A VERT
Engine: LB9
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: 7.5 / 3.42's
So what did you end up doing?
Old 09-20-2002, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by NJITIROC
breathment, you are right on.
i used the 4th gen pedals, and we did exactly the same as you did, except we decided to use the 4th gen gas pedal
matt
really? i tried to bolt mine up, but when i lined up the holes the pedal was kinda rotated .. but i was so tired of messing with the pedals that i just threw it and got the original pedal.. i probaly had it flipped backwards or something..

what did u do with ur electrical connectors though? did u hook anything up to the clutch pedal ?
Old 09-21-2002, 07:31 PM

Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: T-56
Originally posted by breathment
really? i tried to bolt mine up, but when i lined up the holes the pedal was kinda rotated .. but i was so tired of messing with the pedals that i just threw it and got the original pedal.. i probaly had it flipped backwards or something..

what did u do with ur electrical connectors though? did u hook anything up to the clutch pedal ?
nope, the only thing we hooked up was the brake light switch, nothing on the clutch, no you prob had the pedal in right, we had to drill some holes in the firewall to bolt it in, i may put my original pedal back in though.
not sure yet
matt
Old 09-22-2002, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cut the gas pedal off as well. IMO doing the pedals and getting the hydraulics set up properly was the only bad part about the whole install. I didn't take the booster or anything out, may have been easier but I got it to work. I simply bolted the pedals in, then used the bracket as a guide to drill the holes for the bolts and clutch master cylinder, worked perfect the first time!