Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Rebuild question..ATTN Probuilt or Transfixleo

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002 | 08:07 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Rebuild question..ATTN Probuilt or Transfixleo

Well I finally lost 3rd gear this week (Yall were right about needing a rebuild by the way--this proves it). Anyways, my trusted 30 year tranny man is doing it, and I'm having him install a Trans-go shift kit, a Corvette servo, and an extra transmission cooler......am I missing anything that yall would include while it's apart??

I'm currently in search for a LS1 driveshaft to lesson the punishment and to lose some parasitic power loss.

....and does the shift kit fix that no shift at WOT problem or does that require something else??
Old 08-04-2002 | 09:43 PM
FJK

I'm sure that Probuilt & Leo will offer their good advice, and I will offer my humble opinion. There are many upgrades, even by the factory, that can be retro-fitted back to earlier 700R4's. TransGo also offers revisions for the 3/4 clutch springs, pump rings & other components to improve durability. The one thing you really need, is to upgrade your 3/4 clutch pack for more friction disks. I believe stock is 6 disks & various kits allow you to increase it to 7,8,or 9 disks. GM offers an upgraded apply plate from a 4L60 which takes the place of 3 parts in the 700R4, thereby giving more space in the 3/4 clutch pack for you to increase the number of friction disks and/or use thicker steel sepatator plates. Using thicker steels helps disipate heat from the clutch pack.
Also, make sure you change your shell drum to the latest GM part. Even if your shell drum looks fine, it is subject to fatigue cracks at the spline. The latest GM shell has a radiused spline hub to improve durability. Hope this helps.
Regards, FJK
Old 08-05-2002 | 04:02 AM
Supreme Member

To go along with what FJK said I like the 4L60E 3-4 pack complete. I would use High Evergy Borg Warner Frictions and Band along with the TransGo Reprogramming Kit, not the Shift Kit. Install a new Input Sprag too. Use either Regular Dexron ATF or full Synthetic- not any "special" oils. Use a TruCool cooler and bypass the Radiator. The TransGo Kit will not give you the WOT 3-4 shift. Get the GM package for that.