Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Clutch whine

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 06:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Yet another 350 TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner 6 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Clutch whine

I test drove my car today after my T56 install (finally! ), and I have a really annoying whine when I press the clutch pedal. Its only when I press the pedal, and it sounds throughout the entire travel of the pedal. It quieted down a bit with some use, but it didn't go away. I put in a new pilot bearing (not the roller type), used the original clutch/ pressure plate / throwout bearing, and didn't resurface the flywheel (I know, that was stupid). My guess is that it should be either the pilot or throwout bearing. What do you guys think? Is this something that will go away with some use, or do I need to take things apart again? I'm not even sure if this is something I should worry about.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:30 PM
FJK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think about it for a second. It's not the pilot bearing, because it's in the end of the crankshaft & is turning whenever the engine is running, clutch engaged or disengaged. It's probably the throw out bearing, the only bearing that is actuated when you depress the clutch pedal. Your entire clutch assembly, if you were bucks down & couldn't afford to replace it, it is not a hudge deal if it was operating ok when you removed it. There is no sense in resurfacing the flywheel if you reinstalled the original clutch & pressure plate. Even when replacing the PP & disk, resurfacing the flywheel is only necessary if it is severely heat checked or you have a chatter problem. In my experience, many times the first thing to go in a clutch system is the throw out bearing. That, I would have replaced. A noisey bearing won't get better with time. You'll get after it if you get tired of the noise or pedal effort gets high. Next time you have the clutch out, also remember to lubricate the pivot points of the throw out bearing fork & the spring clip of the throwout bearing. Hope this helps.
Regards, FJK
Old 06-10-2002, 09:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Yet another 350 TPI
Transmission: Borg Warner 6 spd
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Thanks for your help man. The flywheel was in really good shape, and I was eager to get the car back together, so I got lazy and didn't get it resurfaced. I don't know whether or not to take it apart again and replace the throwout bearing, or leave it alone for a while. I really don't feel like doing anything to the car unless i really have to for a little while. I've spent too much time on this swap already, and I'm tired of wasting every last minute I have working on it.