Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

New 700R4....No Upshifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 700R4....No Upshifting

Hey guys,

I just got my new 700R4 built & just installed it a few days ago. Took it out today & will not shift from 1st to 2nd. Feels like its slipping when i put it in 2nd gear. If i hit it, it grabs but i cant coast.

Tranny specs are as follows. Rebuilt with Kevlar bands, Super Servo's, extra clutches, hi-output pump kit, Transgo shift kit, and remanufactured Vette stall.

The tranny was built by a reputable shop & there wont be any problems bringing it to them in case there is something wrong internally.

I am figuring its the T.V. cable adjustment? Would it do this if the T.V. cable isnt adjusted properly? Any tips/suggestion please post back.
Old 06-02-2002, 02:09 AM

TTT please.
Old 06-02-2002, 04:59 AM
Supreme Member

First, make SURE it is full of oil.

Next: To adjust the TV Cable skip the book method and do this: Press the 'D' shaped lock button on the adjuster and loosen the cable setting (The black housing that the metal cable is in will move forward). Now, have someone floor the gas pedal while you check to see if the throttle plate is open all the way. Usually they are off a little and will wiggle. Do whatever you have to do to get it open solid. Now, with the pedal still floored, press the 'D' button and pull the cable casing (the black tube) back as hard as you can (putting maximum tension on the metal cable) and release the button. You now have the engine, tranny and gas pedal all in sync at WOT. Mark the cable casing so if for some reason it gets moved you can know where to put it again. The problem with the 'self adjust method' is that it bends things and puts them permanently out of whack. It is also the full TV setting, which is theoretically what the GM method does.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:45 PM

Did all that same thing. Talked to the builder Sun afternoon, he told me it may just be the governer or something. Anyhow the car is there right now @ the shop. I'll keep you updated on the outcome. Oh & it is full of oil.
Old 06-04-2002, 04:02 PM

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

Tranny was removed yesterday.....they examined the pump & everything was OK....

They have a problem with the pressure........it checks ok with the Valve-Body removed.....but all wrong when the Valvebody is re-installed (this is what they tell me)

TRANSFIXLEO....PRO-BUILT any idea's here????

All this work is being done under warranty if it matters.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:48 PM

UPDATE #2

Tranny shop today said the case is warped where the valvebody meets it.

Is this possible or am i just feeling like their idiots for nothing?
Old 06-05-2002, 10:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL, Carm... you mule

I got mine in.... and it works GREAT!

I would say that a warped case is highly unlikely... but possible. Where did you get the case? Did you find it behind walmart?
Old 06-06-2002, 04:00 AM
Supreme Member

With the exception of the Ford E4OD (after O/H) you rarely see a warped Case. It is the usual boogie man to blame when you can't find a cause. I am getting nervious about your builder.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:14 PM

So am I.

Talked to them again today.

They've tried everything. They ordered in a new stock valvebody, same results. They took apart & inspected the pump, same deal. They said when the test the stuff witht he valvebody off it works, but when it's bolted back on it doesnt.

Anyhow, they oredered a core, i am paying for the core ($150) because i supplied this one but no labour.

As long as it gets fixed & lasts, i will be happy.

Thanks for the advice so far.