Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

HELP.....PRO-BUILT, TRANSFIXLEO, and any other tranny gurus

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 RS
Engine: 9C1 w/ TPI
Transmission: rebuilt 700R4
HELP.....PRO-BUILT, TRANSFIXLEO, and any other tranny gurus

Just wanted to ask you guys a question. A couple of weeks ago my converter started whinning, and I had a HUGE loss in power. I assume that this is the TC slipping, but out of all the people I've talked to, nobody has ever heard a noise like this. Well my tranny has nearly 170,000 miles on it, so I know it doesn't have much longer to live....but it is shifting fine, my only symptoms are the whinning and loss of power...no slipping. Is the TC slipping (if that's what it is) an indication of my tranny dying along w/ it, or could I just slip in another used, working converter to hold me over till I can buy a new tranny? Because If it goes out soon, I wont have enough time or money on hand to get a new one, I'll have to settle for a rebuild...thanks guys. Oh, and Danna, if I were to buy a tranny from you, does it come w/ a TC, or would I also have to purchase that? Thanks
Old 05-01-2002, 04:05 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
I'm not sure what your TC is doing, are you losing power from 0-30 mph?, and after 30 mph does it seem to be ok? If this is the case then the sprag assembly (one-way clutch) in the TC has failed. The torque converters are extra. The A.C.T. 9.5" lockup sells for $565.00 and comes with a one year warranty, and a free stall change if needed within that year. Let me know if I can be of help?
Old 05-01-2002, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Pro Built Automatics
I'm not sure what your TC is doing, are you losing power from 0-30 mph?, and after 30 mph does it seem to be ok? If this is the case then the sprag assembly (one-way clutch) in the TC has failed. The torque converters are extra. The A.C.T. 9.5" lockup sells for $565.00 and comes with a one year warranty, and a free stall change if needed within that year. Let me know if I can be of help?
Yes, it seems like the power loss is under 30-40 MPH. When the whinning first started, it was only at idle....then eventually it was at idle and up to 15-20 mph unless I was accelerating....then it got worse and continues to do so. Now if I'm coasting at 40 MPH it whinnes very loudly. It never whines when I'm accelerating though? Could I put in another TC and it be fine for a while? Thanks for the help.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:45 AM
Supreme Member

The whining is most likely from a plugged filter from contaminants from the failing converter. Also the PR Valve is probably going wild too from all this. Can you just replace the TC? No since the tranny and converter share the same fluid it has been contaminated with this and then your new converter will also be. In the long run it is often less expensive to spend more at the right time than less several times.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by transfixleo
The whining is most likely from a plugged filter from contaminants from the failing converter. Also the PR Valve is probably going wild too from all this. Can you just replace the TC? No since the tranny and converter share the same fluid it has been contaminated with this and then your new converter will also be. In the long run it is often less expensive to spend more at the right time than less several times.
I figured youd say that about getting a new converter...that's why I was talking about just getting a working one from another vehicle for $cheap$....not an exspensive high stall. The fluid on the stick looks good..not burnt, no metal. I know the only real way to check it out is to drop the pan, but I haven't done it yet because I changed the fluid about 5 months ago, replaced the filter and put that expensive trick shift crap in there. I guess I'll go ahead and drop the pan, changed the fluid, filter, etc. Like I said, I plan on buying a new one, but wont be able to for a month or so....I just wanna delay the inevitable for right now, even if takes me laying down $50 for a used stock converter. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:29 PM

Who sells the A.C.T converters? Are they as good as the Yank & Vig.?
Old 05-05-2002, 12:25 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts
I am a distributor for A.C.T's MAG 245 & Precision Industries Vigilante torque converters. Let me know if I can be of help?