Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Need some advice about broken rear end and mechanic.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Need some advice about broken rear end and mechanic.....

Heres the story:

Bout a month and a half ago i took my car to my mechanic up here that does all the work on my car (no garage at school to work on it myself) Just took it in to have the rear end fluid changed. I told him specificly to put the GM posi additive in. Pick the car up, asked if he put the additive in, he says "ya we put additive in" Take the car home no big deal. About a week later i start to hear a lot of noise coming out of the rear end. First it starts whining but it started getting a real bad gear sound, almost grinding. Take the car back ASAP and have him check it out. He says the fluid is black. I ask him again at this point did he put GM brand additive in. He says "no we put regular posi additive in, that wouldnt cause any problems". I asked a few people and they seemed to think that the additive would only prevent the posi from making noise around corners.

So a week later, still with tons of rear end noise im going to class and BANG. Engine is running but the car isnt moving. Take the car to a local trans and rear end shop. The ring and pinion are both missing about 3 teeth a piece and the input shaft housing on my 700R4 is blown up. I had a T350 trans installed and got some used 3.27 gears from 9Bolt.com installed and the rear end rebuilt. The rear was still making noise although not as loud. I took it back 2 days ago to have them adjust the gears and the pinion bearing was burnt up. I do not think that they put the GM additive in either. I have a warrenty on the trans and rear end so if it happens again they will fix it, but my question is about the initial mechanic who did the fluid change. He did not put the additive in that I requested and then my rear end blows up.

Would not putting the GM additive in have any affect on the gears or bearings in the rear end? Ive talked to a few people since who seem to think so. Should I got back to the first mechanic and ask him to pay for at least part of the bill for the new trans and rear end. Our theory is that the rear blew and that shocked the whole driveline causing the input shaft housing to break. Does that sound plausable? what can I do here. It cost me like $1,700 to get the rear and trans done and now cause i have a T350 in there my gas milage sucks. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:33 PM

There is no connection between the additive and ring and pinion breakage.
Old 04-21-2002, 01:58 PM

Take this from someone that works in a shop, because they were the last one's to work on the rear end it there fault!!!! Even if it's not there fault it still is.....You can have the shop pay to get it fixed.......