TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

305 TPI fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2024 | 10:12 PM

Car: 1988 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 V8 TPI LB9
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual BorgWarner T-5
Axle/Gears: Borg & Warner 3.45 RATIO
305 TPI fuel injectors

First post hope I put this in the right place, if not sorry please move it to the right place. Second thing I am not a mechanic so please bear with me if these questions sound dumb or certain things aren't obvious to me. Third I recently bought my firebird so I am new to them so please excuse my new/possibly dumb questions. I think I may have a problem with one or more of my fuel injectors and I am looking for replacement parts. I have a 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula with the 305 TPI V8 LB9 engine. Ok with that out of the way onto the questions.

1 What exactly am I looking for?
If my research is correct it should be part number 17111960 correct?
The reason I ask is if I am reading my parts book right (I very well may not be) that seems to be the part number, however when I search at parts stores online for fuel injectors for a 1988 firebird with a 305 I rarely come across that part number but come across many other numbers.

By the way when looking for parts online it often asks to chose between base and Trans Am. I haven't seen an option for formula. I am guessing I should look under base or am I wrong. Does that even matter if I have the year and engine right?

What should the be pound rating be? Does the pound rating mean how many pounds per hour it pumps? I seem to have come across several ratings does it mater? I have seen other stats for fuel injectors as well such as Ohms and psi. What specs should I be looking for and which ones matter? The more I look the muddier the waters seem to get.

Next what are good brands? Which brands should I avoid? From what I gather ACDelco is the original OEM part suplier for GM correct? Would it be good to stick with them or are there better after market brands. If sticking to ACDelco it seems they have several different lines. What are the differences between them? Any recommendations on brands and models would be appreciated. Where would be a good place to buy from and where should I avoid?

As well am thinking that if one of them has gone bad it probably won't be long before others go bad so, does it make sense to replace them all at once? My reasoning being that if you are going to have everything disassembled to replace one I may as well replace them all to save the hassle of probably having to disassemble everything again later. While I am at it anything else I should work on while I am at it? Some things that come to mind are, replacing O rings on the fuel rail, runner gaskets, throttle body gasket and, the fuel pressure regulator. Am I over thinking things or is this a good idea? Anything else I missed?

Another dumb question do I need 8 or 9 injectors if I am going to replace them all? It would seem 8 but I ask as I am under the impression there is a 9th cold start injector. Is there a cold start injector? If so is it the same as the others or would it be a different model?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Penguin
Old Yesterday | 04:42 AM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: 305 TPI fuel injectors

I cannot recommend Southbay fuel injectors enough. Great customer service and they will cut you a deal since you are a member here. Promo code "tg11". I ordered a stock replacement Bosch set. I think they are 22lb if I'm correct. Your car came stock with ones just like this.
https://www.southbayfuelinjectors.co...7-350-tpi.html

On the 9th injector: late model cars (88 and up?) do not have the 9th.

Any time you are working on these cars electrically, ACDelco parts are best if you can find them.

While you are under there I reccomend replacing the EGR, fuel pressure regulator (this was my big problem). It's a lot easier to get everything at once than have to come back and mess with the screws.

Hawks Third Gen sells plenum bolt kits to replace the Torx T40 screws that hold the intake runners on with hex head screws. HIGHLY reccomend these because those Torx are notorious for stripping.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by deektheoutlaw; Yesterday at 04:46 AM.
Old Yesterday | 09:06 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. That link though looks like it is for the 350 not the 305 am I wrong?

Are these the same but for a 305?

What about these? The product name says 305 tpi but they look a bit different and what are the differences between all of these?

19lb 5.0 TPi Camaro Firebird

19Lb 5.0 Camaro Firebird 305 TPi

Why are the thrid one so much more expensive? Are they that much better or do they go to some other type of vehicle?
Old Yesterday | 10:16 AM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 350 TPI

My bad. Looks like the 305 does use 19 lb /hr injectors. I have a 350, I thought they were the same. You will need those 19lb units. Sorry for the mistake.

The yellow Bosch ones are a straight stock replacement and it looks like the more expensive ones are modified by southbay. The black Bosch in the first link, are the same injectors just a little shorter length wise for easier fitment

Last edited by deektheoutlaw; Yesterday at 10:20 AM.
Old Yesterday | 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by deektheoutlaw
My bad. Looks like the 305 does use 19 lb /hr injectors. I have a 350, I thought they were the same. You will need those 19lb units. Sorry for the mistake.

The yellow Bosch ones are a straight stock replacement and it looks like the more expensive ones are modified by southbay. The black Bosch in the first link, are the same injectors just a little shorter length wise for easier fitment
Awesome thanks. Just wanted to make just I have all my ducks in a row.
Old Yesterday | 01:55 PM

From: Franklin, KY near Beech Bend Raceway, Corvette Plant and Museum.
Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 5.0L L03 TBI
Axle/Gears: 2.73

1985 to 1988 had the Cold Start Injection system with the 9th injector. In 1989 the CSI system was eliminated with the introduction of the new GM RP Multec fuel injectors.

Your LB9 has 19 pound injectors.

All of the injectors SouthBay has for the TPI engines are used rebuilds except for the Delphi injectors which are 100% brand new. The Delphi injectors are 100% drop in replacements both physically and electrically for the GM Rochester Products Multec fuel injectors used in the 1989 to 1992 TPI engines. They may also be for the earlier years too.

The brand new Delphi injectors are the way to go. Pay once and cry once.

Below are the parts and tools you will need with part numbers and links to buy them.

I'm not done yet. I'll make it obvious when I have completed the list. For the life of me right now I can't remember what size Torx bit is used to dissemble the fuel rail assembly.

Standard Motor Products SK18 Fuel Supply & Return Line O-Ring Kit Standard Motor Products SK18 Fuel Supply & Return Line O-Ring Kit

Standard Motor Products SK24 Fuel Rail Rebuild O-ring Kit Standard Motor Products SK24 Fuel Rail Rebuild O-ring Kit

TEKTON 3/8 Inch Drive x T40 Torx Bit Socket | SHB14240 TEKTON 3/8 Inch Drive x T40 Torx Bit Socket | SHB14240

TEKTON 3/8 Inch Drive x T40 Long Torx Bit Socket | SHB14440 TEKTON 3/8 Inch Drive x T40 Long Torx Bit Socket | SHB14440

Wiha 36275 Tamper Resistant Security Torx Screwdriver With Soft Finish Handle, T10 x 80mm Wiha 36275 Tamper Resistant Security Torx Screwdriver With Soft Finish Handle, T10 x 80mm

The SouthBay discount code for TGO members is TG11

SouthBay - TPI Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Housing and Diaphragm

SouthBay - Camaro & Firebird 5.0 TPI 19LB Delphi Fuel Injectors - SKU 4228

Last edited by Airwolfe; Yesterday at 11:47 PM.
Old Yesterday | 08:28 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Facebook Post
Old Yesterday | 08:29 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

The following users liked this post:
Airwolfe (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 10:10 PM

From: Franklin, KY near Beech Bend Raceway, Corvette Plant and Museum.
Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 5.0L L03 TBI
Axle/Gears: 2.73

The Delphi 19lb injectors that @Tuned Performance posted above on his Facebook page are the ones you need and you can't beat that deal on them.

His page is Private so you will have to join.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tunedperformance

After you join his page this should be the link to the member's post that has the Delphi injectors for sale.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/TthunYKNoutRAHF6/?