TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy here with built 305 needs help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy here with built 305 needs help

Hi, My name is Steve Curtis and ive been on the forum for years but never registered. A little back story about me and my build. Years ago around 1997 my father and I started building a replica Lamborghini Diablo and I eventually started manufacturing replicas using real cars to produce our molds but business didn't give me time to finish my own car and it's sat all this time with me working on it when I had time. In the beginning I was having a shop do the work on my car and while I waited and waited someone must have swapped my 350 toi for a 305 tpi which I only found out about when I sent the engine to be rebuilt with the best parts available. Thats when I found out what I had and for sentimental reasons only I stuck with the 305. This engine was built and finished 18 years ago and never has run very well and the car has never seen a day of driving and I have recently found sludge for days in the engine so we pulled it apart cleaned iit out resealed it and are about to finish it and start it. The rest of my parts should be here tomorrow. My problem is I no longer have my engines spec sheet and the engine builder and my contact although they are still uilding engines are not calling me back or answering their phone calls. What I know for sure is we bored the engine 30 over has a displacement of 310 I hope I'm saying that correctly. The heads are world products sr torquer with slp flat torque runners and blue aluminum roller rockers which I'm not 100 percent sure that is correct. Without knowing my specs is there a way to fund out what cam is in the engine and what pistons? We were going yo do the hypereutec but that may have changed. I remember the guys saying they had to do something different with the pistons and that there was nothing more that could be done to the engine it was built as big as they felt and anything else would break the engine or not run well. I spent about 6k on the upgrades including a full intake chrome job from street and performance. I still have some things to do like headers I've installed an electric water pump and I'm in ca so right now it's smog legal to get it passes inspection. Any guesses on what hp I might see and how I can find out the specs of the engine. I had multiple copies of the spec sheet in different computers and files but they have all disappeared. Any help would be appreciated.

Picture of the wp sr torquer heads and rockers reslly would like to knoe what was done to the engine. The cam makes this thing thump like a hotrod but since i lost the specs im hoping someone has some ides of whats going on here.

Last edited by Colato; 07-06-2023 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 07-05-2023, 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 385 Likes on 281 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9 Bolt / 2.77 Posi
Re: New guy here with buil 305 needs help

200whp, don't worry about the specs just run it hard.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:23 AM
Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 427 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Re: New guy here with built 305 needs help

It's probably a case where they used the wrong cam for the wrong application. Combine that with not having headers or a custom EPROM tune, and you get a stumbling mess. The only way to know what's in the motor is to tear it apart. If you don't want to do that, I'd at least put in a cam that you know will be TPI friendly. Heck, even start with stock if you are not ready to get into chip tuning.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:32 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 690 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Colato
. Without knowing my specs is there a way to fund out what cam is in the engine and what pistons?
Without passing judgment on what you've built, (I've hot rodded a 305 before. If nothing else, it still has that V8 sound) yes, you can determine within reason what the cam might be.
You'll need a dial indicator and cam degreeing wheel and then set about finding the various valve opening and closing events. You'll want to do this with lightweight checking springs (only one cylinder required) as you'll collapse the hydraulic lifter otherwise and skew your measurements. You can determine the lobe lift as well. This would be done off of the tip of the pushrod.
If you take the intake off (if it isn't already) it's much easier to measure off of the edge of the lifter. Then the checking springs aren't needed.
Then you scour the internet catalogues looking for specs like your own. At the very least that should get you close.
Of course, pulling the cam would avoid all of that measuring as there should be a part number on it but it's a PITA with the engine installed.
As for pistons, the best you could do is use a bore scope/inspection camera and go in through the spark plug hole. You may be able to see a part number on the top of the piston. But that's a stretch. Or pull the heads. Then you can get a few other critical measurements.
Hope that gives you some insight and helps in some way.

Last edited by skinny z; 07-06-2023 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 08:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 518 Likes on 432 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars