TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF/MAP harness differences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi
MAF/MAP harness differences?

My son is wanting to put a TPI system on his '87 El Camino, and found a deal on an unused Painless engine harness. We were intending to use a MAF, and more or less duplicate the TPI system on my IROC.

Turns out the harness is for a MAP system..hard to modify the harness for MAF? He already has nearly everything he needs to build a MAF system.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MAF/MAP harness differences?

I've heard the painless harnesses were more of a "limp mode" swap harness
Old 05-05-2017, 09:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: 5.7 Vortec w/ factory TPI
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Posi

The difference is literally two sensors. Pretty much all of the aftermarket harnesses are going to run off of a 90-92 (or whenever they switched to MAP) MAP ecu and tpi plenum. The Fast retro efi system Im going with in my '87 Iroc is a based off of a MAP system, but it has it's own ECU. You can use a MAF plenum all you need to add is the MAP sensor and run a vacuum hose to one of the ports on the passenger side of the plenum. The Factory MAF sensors are kind of pricey.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by jharrison5
The difference is literally two sensors. Pretty much all of the aftermarket harnesses are going to run off of a 90-92 (or whenever they switched to MAP) MAP ecu and tpi plenum. The Fast retro efi system Im going with in my '87 Iroc is a based off of a MAP system, but it has it's own ECU. You can use a MAF plenum all you need to add is the MAP sensor and run a vacuum hose to one of the ports on the passenger side of the plenum. The Factory MAF sensors are kind of pricey.
We already have a Bosch MAF, it came with the Firebird TPI air cleaner assembly..
Old 05-06-2017, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

OK, so here are the questions I should have asked... What ecu do you have and how are you going to control the transmission? From where I'm sitting you have a few options depending on what ecu and trans combo you're going to run.

You can locate a factory harness from an 85-90 whatever fbody, or a corvette, that uses the maf system. If the trans isn't going to be controlled by the ecu then look for a manual harness or find an auto harness if it is.

If you don't have an ecu, use the Painless harness you have and find a map ecu that either controls the trans or not.

From what I've read you have to use a map style ecu with the painless harnesses and I would think trying to rewire the harness to work with a maf wouldn't be feasible.

The maf is going to be more accurate from what I've read, but the price difference of the sensors is nuts. A new map is around $50 on the high end compared to a maf at $150 on the low end.

If it was me I would find a factory fbody harness for an 87, or what ever year the tpi system is, and go with that route. Only reason I went the map route was because the self tuning efi system I installed required it. My factory harness was destroyed by mice and I went from a 305 to a vortec 350 and it was going to cost too much to have the car properly tuned.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:27 AM

I believe he's using a 2004r
Old 05-06-2017, 12:36 AM
Supreme Member

OK so a 200r4 isn't computer controlled so he won't need that portion of the harness...
Old 05-06-2017, 12:44 AM

The tpi harness/PCM should be able to be made to work the lockup converter tho right?
Old 05-06-2017, 06:50 AM

That's what I'm hoping. I already have an ECM, and appropriate MEMCAL for an '88 305 TPI with automatic. Almost everything we needed to do this swap with a MAF setup is already purchased..and then my son realized he's bought the wrong harness.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 225 Likes on 211 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

It would be better and easier to get a '86 - '89 f-body TPI harness.

To use the '90 - '92 speed density harness will need to re-pin the three ECM connectors into two (use the two black ones, look at the MAF ECM). Also requires adding a knock filter and doing something about the VSS.

The VSS is one difference between the Camaro and Firebirds. The Camaro stayed with the optical buffer mounted on the speedometer head while the Firebird ended up with a transmission mounted VSS and the 4-Out Buffer box.

Can get a feel for what is required here:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/ecm_swap_730/
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/ECMs/86to92.txt

RBob.