TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI Painless Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPI Painless Wiring Harness

Ok help me reslove this for the last time... ACan I use the Painless Speed density harness to convert my 88 TA 305 TBI to TPI... Who's done this-? how do I keep all my extras like guages? (I heard I can't hook them up) I don't care if I loose my A/C. I'm concernd about this... Any help is Appreciated. Links too

thanks
Old 12-24-2001, 04:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: 406 Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700R4
I would also like to know this, but I NEED to keep the AC. Thanks
Old 12-29-2001, 12:23 AM

the swap form MAF to SD has no releationship to air conditioning.
replace the MAF wiring with the SD wiring. use approprate computer
(7730), knock sensor, and chip.
the oil pressure, water temperature and volt gauges do not use
any of the SD harness. the above gauges are included in the
chassis wiring.
good luck in your swap
airdeano
Old 12-29-2001, 12:35 PM

The advantage of SD is it cleans up the appearance of everything cause you simply mount an air filter on the throttle body. You don't have to worry about mounting a MAF sensor and associtated duct work. It will also support more HP due to no MAF air restriction.

The disadvantage of SD is anytime you do any kind of change (porting, heads, cam, etc) them you'll have to burn a new chip. If you can burn your own chips thats not too bad. If you have to buy those chips then things will get real expensive or you won't upgrade your setup any at all.

Do some research before hand. Research is your best friend
Old 12-29-2001, 11:24 PM

Trans Slam wrote:
"Can I use the Painless Speed density harness to convert my 88 TA 305 TBI to TPI" YES, YOU CAN.
"Who's done this-?" I did not convert to TPI from TBI, i converted from computer carb in monte carlo SS to SD TPI system.
"how do I keep all my extras like guages?" the guages are on a seperate wiring harness from the computer, they use chasis harness.

Airdeno wrote:
"the swap from MAF to SD has no releationship to air conditioning. replace the MAF wiring with the SD wiring. "
The guy is going from TBI to TPI, not just from MAF to SD. When i installed the Painless wiring for TPI unit, the A/C wire that runs the increasing and decreasing of air/fuel as the compressor puts a load on the egine connects to the computer.

Basiclly, the TPI harness from painless is a stand alone system. For swapping in a camaro or firebird, i would recommend using a stock harness since it has basic plugins for all neccessary stuff that you are wanting to keep. I used a painless system because i swapped into a car that did not originally come with this system so alot of cut and paste on the wiring harness would have been necessary. JMO
Old 12-30-2001, 01:13 AM

gruvin84ss wrote:
<b>The guy is going from TBI to TPI, not just from MAF to SD. When i installed the Painless wiring for TPI unit, the A/C wire that runs the increasing and decreasing of air/fuel as the compressor puts a load on the egine connects to the computer. </b>
speed density could careless about what the a/c is doing. the MAP
sensor will determine the load on the engine and will adjust the
a/f ratio and idle accordingly.
MAF doesnt even care about a/c. even TBI doesnt give a hoot.
at idle there is a predetermined idle. load or no load. a/c and/or
alternator and/or p/s.
under acelleration again so what. because you have the a/c on the
computer will not feed the engine any more power.
unless one has access to an archive of information, plenty of time,
maybe someone to help, the stock harness will probably be taxing.
why?? this used harness is from a crash car?? damaged?? three
hours ohming wires, service manual to make sure the right wire
is checked. repair some busted connectors. buy necessary tools.
luck out and get a virgin harness sure... odds are??
airdeano
Old 12-30-2001, 02:38 AM

Just thought I would give some in site on this My car is a mas air car but some of the conectors are the same when I priced the mas air burn off,mass air power and fuel relay connector from the local chevy dealer they are 50 a peice so buy the time I had bought three of them at 150 I had already spent almost what I could have bought the painless for need less to say I havent done it yet and Im also checking on going painless or accel.
Old 12-30-2001, 02:33 PM

airdeano wrote:
"speed density could careless about what the a/c is doing. the MAP sensor will determine the load on the engine and will adjust the a/f ratio and idle accordingly.
MAF doesnt even care about a/c. even TBI doesnt give a hoot.
at idle there is a predetermined idle. load or no load. a/c and/or
alternator and/or p/s. "

This is correct, after thinking about it, the wire that connects to the A/C is there so that the clutch on the A/C does not enguage when the car is not running, which would be a major drain on the electrical system.

Airdeano wrote:
"unless one has access to an archive of information, plenty of time, maybe someone to help, the stock harness will probably be taxing. why?? this used harness is from a crash car?? damaged?? three hours ohming wires, service manual to make sure the right wire is checked. repair some busted connectors. buy necessary tools. luck out and get a virgin harness sure... odds are?? "

True that there may be some complications with running a stock harness, but using a stand alone harness such as a painless that runs only the computer and he will still have to use the chasis harness which i believe are both all connected in one firewall connectin block. The painless harness will need a new hole drilled through the firewall and it comes with a cheap rubber gromet for sealing from the elements. he will have to sort out and remove the old computer harness while leaving the rest of the original harness to run the rest of the cars electrical functions such as blower or guage sensors when using this stand alone system.

Either way he will have to spend time and effort to remove and install the new harness of his chosing. Like i said before, i used the stand alone because of my application and the TPI harness i have from the stock vehicle required far more work to install in a vehicle which it did not belong than to use the stand alone system. With the ability to pull a complete harness from anothe F-body and do a direct install in your car, this should be a much simpler process. in removing the harness if you choosethat route, use masking tape and label all wiring so as you can remember where stuff goes. painless harness already comes this way. ultimately, it will be your decision as to how you go about your swap.
Old 01-02-2002, 11:23 PM

hey guys thanks for all the interest... I'm just about done hooking up my painless sd harness to the TPI. as far as my other wiring... well I'll be taking some time puting all that back to it's proper spot (since in my case I had to separate my harness from the drivers side wiring). if any of you out there could just put in your two cents as to how I hook some of those wires up that would be great- I labeled where everything came from... some of my accessory wires looped themselves back into my old computer (off hand, I don't remember which ones). I didnt drill a hole in my firewall, I extended my sd painless harness 3 ft so I routed it self back through the original pass. side fender. Did anyone out there use the stock cruise control cable for a conversion like this? I heard I have to replace it.... Any links are helpful too...thanks again.
Old 01-03-2002, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by airdeano
MAF doesnt even care about a/c. at idle there is a predetermined idle. load or no load. a/c and/or alternator and/or p/s.
Ermmmm.. Thats not true. I would assume the SD cars arent any different, but there are quite a few things the ECM has control over in relation to the AC being on or not. Just one example is the cooling fan.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:24 AM
jmd
Supreme Member

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
The 85-87 TPI harnesses are great in a Monte because the DS wiring is separate from the ECM wiring.

In the case of an 88 TBI car, I would just search out a complete 88 TPI f-bird harness because they combined the "engine" harness (starter, crank, ignition) with the TPI harness. Plus the dash wiring should plug right in.