TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whine from fuel pump/pressure dropping

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: N/A, working on a t5 swap
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
whine from fuel pump/pressure dropping

ok, so I've had my fuel pump replaced in the last couple weeks. twice. first one was making terrible high pitched whining noises. had it warrantied out. Second one is doing the same thing. thought it might be that gas overheating problem because it is always on hot days, and when I put new, cool gas in it, the whining stops for awhile.
Well I decided to pressure test the fuel system today just for ***** and giggles. Didn't think I would find anything because the pump, regulator, and injectors were all JUST replaced. well I primed the system twice, jumps up to 42ish... then starts to drop. stops at about 20psi after about 2 minutes. clamped return line, pressure still drops. clamped main line, pressure still drops. car from cold start to warm idle, no pressure change at all, sits at 38. regulator unplugged, 45-50ish. WTF!! Where is my pressure going?! any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I didn't have the shop manual today, so I was just trying everything I could remember/find on here. But I just don't know. Or is my gauge just bad?? any way to test that?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:10 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: whine from fuel pump/pressure dropping

Please don't tell me that you installed an Airtex pump......

(if so that would explain it.......)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:12 AM

as far as I know its not airtex... Got it done at a (supposedly) reputable shop who says that they only use NAPA parts. I've been doing a little more looking around after my tests, and I think they might have effed up my o-rings on the injectors. Would explain the problems I've been having since they "fixed" my car. not running well at low throttle, died on me this morning coming into my apartment parking lot. I'm thinking fouled plug from at least one leaking injector. the pump is still pissing me off but I'm not too worried about some noise at the moment. more concerned about that fuel pressure drop.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car does the same thing. I hold 35 plugged and 45 unplugged after an hour of running and my car starts to die I drop to 8 psi. Hot days its worse than others but anymore I can't get 15 minutes from home. My fuel pump whines and its a new delphi from carquest. On top of it I'm running LS1 injectors (65k miles), new alternator, battery, ecm, ign module, filter, relay, I've tried by passing my canister, blowing my lines out. There for a while I thought there was no way it was fuel boiling, then I believed it, and now that my car has starting dieing within 15 minutes with 1/2 tank I don't think its my problem. My car can sit all day and as soon as I turn the key on the fuel pump will make excessive noise and whine the hole time its running.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 PM

god damn. I hope my pump doesn't get any worse... It hasn't started dying yet after the pump whines. Actually finally got lucky and figured out why my car was idling wrong though. took the car back to the shop to have them look at the fuel pressure and see what they think. Guy who checked it said that dropping is normal. I don't think I buy it, but for now I'll accept it til I have time to check my plugs for fouling. But in the process he had to move my map sensor to get the schrader valve. took the pressure, put the sensor back on, and now it's running like a dream. mind you he did NOTHING but move the sensor and put it back. apparently it's going bad or something and the movement fixed it for now. so if it starts to happen again, I know exactly where to look. makes me very happy.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:38 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 910 Likes on 597 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Stop F-n around with junk pumps and get one from these guys..
http://www.racetronix.com/
Old 05-23-2012, 06:01 PM

Wishing I had done my pump myself. I probably would have gone with something like that. But I had it done at a shop, so that sucker is under warranty. And I intend to keep taking it back to them till they fix it right. And when my warranties run out, I'm finding a new shop.