TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Bosch III injectors, runs worse.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: MD8
Re: Installed Bosch III injectors, runs worse.

I want to update this thread and tell you all that the problem is indeed FIXED. Grab a drink and read on....

I was messaging Frank from Southbay a few times and he offered to re-flow my Bosch III injectors for free. When I was all out of ideas, I agreed I would send them back. Because anything could happen, right?

Saw a thread on corvette forums c4 section that showed a way to remove the fuel rail without removing the runners. So I tried that method. Took the plenum off, and started unclipping the electrical connectors at each injector. Got all the clips off, and just as I was about to pop off the rail, something told me to turn the connector over, and look at the prongs, and this was staring back at me.

Connector 1 and 3

Name:  DSC02236.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  56.4 KB

And connector 2 and 4

Name:  DSC02235.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  67.0 KB

Upon installing the injectors, I had not seated them straight enough, and crushed the pins in there! Off to the parts store I went to get some connectors.

Replaced the two connectors that were crushed and fired it up. It ran better, but still had a noticeable miss and horrible idle. Got the idea from a friend to use a NOID LIGHT on each of the others. Injector plugs on cyl 3, 5, and 8 were all intermittent when you moved the wires as the engine was running. The light would blink...twist the wire and the light would die.

Removed all the connectors that were intermittent and this was under each rubber cover.

Name:  100811_21491.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  20.2 KB

Replaced those three that were bad and fired it up again. Ran much better, but still a miss. Found some questionable butt connections I made. Tightened them up and the car now purrs like new. I thought I was joking when I said it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders. Well, the 2 crushed plugs, plus the 3 that were broken internally, I WAS running on 3 cylinders!!

I could not be happier that I found my problem. I can now officially love my IROC-Z. Thank you all for putting up with my whining and thank you to Frank at Southbay Fuel Injectors for the awesome set of injectors. I knew they were good all along.

I hope this helps anyone that cant find their misfire. This just proves that the problem could be caused by ANYTHING.

Im out!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Holy crap!!! No wonder you were having so many problems.
You are so very welcome. Happy that you were able to
solve the problem.

www.southbayfuelinjectors.com
516-492-6504
Old 08-29-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc-Z Red T-tops
Engine: 305 TPI LB9 55k miles
Transmission: Auto 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi

Old Thread: But after that how was your stock lb9 on power, more then happy?

And how did you require the connectors in? Were the pigtails already installed or had to solder?