TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine stalling.. bad egg smell..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 TA GTA, 88 Camaro Covnvertible
Engine: TA 350 Supercharged, Camaro 350
Transmission: TA 700R-4, Camaro T5
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi in both cars
engine stalling.. bad egg smell..

I just finished putting together an 88 camaro convertible. It is an 88, wit han 89 computer and a 91 engine. The other day, I took the convertible out for a test run. I drove it for almost a day with no problems. The next day however around lunchtime, the car stalled on me in the middle of the road. I started it back up and it seemed like it had no power. If i tried to give it any gas, it would die. after about 10 minutes of restarting it, it finally let me drive it again. the car stunk and smelled like rotten eggs.

That evening, it did it again and now the car won't stay running. I start it and it fires up fine, but in less than a minute it start sputtering and dies. If I restart it, it has power for about 20 seconds, and then bogs down and dies again. The exhaust has a wierd garbage smell and just isn't right. The engine runs smooth when its re-started, but then starts to misfire and eventually shuts down.

Here is a list of things that I know are good:

Fuel pressure is about 35 to 40 PSI (i have a guage installed) I even did the test jumper on the diagnostic to make sure the fuel pump was working.

Spark is good (connected a timing light to the coil output wire) I also plugged in my spare coil just to make sure.

Ignition module and distributor should be good. They are brand new out of the box. Also the car starts back up easily.

Computer is good and not throwing any codes (i also plugged in my spare computer and it still did the same thing) compuer is from 89 with MAF

Oil Pressure, water temp, and voltage is good. (oil looks good and had no water in it)

Engine is good. I never had any problems when the engine was in the old car. Also for the minute the engine is running, it runs smooth and fine.

The exhaust is the 91 GTA dual cat system. Smog, EGR, and VATS have been disabled in the chip. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I was planning on registering the car next week, but then this happened.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniversary
Engine: 3.4L v6 with a t3/t4 Turbo
Transmission: T-5 Conversion
Axle/Gears: 3.23 SLP Limited Slip
Re: engine stalling.. bad egg smell..

if you have a catalytic converter....its clogged thats what the smell is
Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1990 G92 IROC Z Miniram
Engine: 388cu 6.4 Liters
Transmission: G-Force T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Gears
Re: engine stalling.. bad egg smell..

Replace the cats. It gives off a egg smell. Also the exhaust system get glowing red hot if you keep running it like that.