TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this really happening? Ran Flawless for 30min and now floods out? Help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this really happening? Ran Flawless for 30min and now floods out? Help please

Well I have a 350 TPI, Turbo, walbro fuel pump, new 80lb injectors and megasquirt.

Good compression, no vac leaks, all sensors calibrated and working on megasquirt/tuner pro, has 12.5 volts (old battery), everything kindof checks out thats whats weird.

Problem is I was cruising around doing the Autotune feature on tunerpro and it was running absolutely awesome than after 30 min of driving, it died instantly. Thought it ran out of gas because if I pump the gas petal I could kindof get it to run half ***. so after 2 5 gallon tanks of gas I filled it up and same problem. seems its flooding the engine badly but has spark. fuel pressure reads 38 psi but its on the EBAY adjustable fuel pressure regulator ($30). yaya i know getting a Aero next week. I thought that was the problem so I disassembled it and everything looks okay but the return fuel line hole is only 1/16 in dia so I dont think thats okay for the size of fuel pump I have. Anyway please let me know if you have any info on what it might be. Also heard it might be an ignition coil problem but I have a 1 year old msd (might have went out). Please help me. I've searched with no luck and have tried everything. thank you

Nathan
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is this really happening? Ran Flawless for 30min and now floods out? Help please

No takers on this? I think you’re in the right direction on the coil. Also check your fuel filter and pump once again. New injectors shouldn’t leak but if an 80lb'r does it will be a lot. See if it holds pressure. Hope this helps. Maybe this bump will get an expert to chime in. Good luck with it.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:41 PM

Re: Is this really happening? Ran Flawless for 30min and now floods out? Help please

I think it might be the pickup module in the distributer, I have it all out just need to get some heat paste from radioshack since oreillys sold me a module without it..
Old 03-10-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by roguecoxnet
I think it might be the pickup module in the distributer, I have it all out just need to get some heat paste from radioshack since oreillys sold me a module without it..

Hope it works out for you, A little heat past goes a long way lol
Old 03-10-2011, 11:45 PM

Well now Im stumped! I changed out the ignition module inside the distributer with 2 different modules from the auto parts store and nothing changed, still flooded out bad and managed to keep it running but only with the gas pedal half way down. Everything went wrong instantly when I was driving around using the autotune. I dont understand what would cause an instant problem. I checked almost everything and re loaded the code and still having the same problem. If someone could let me know of any other ideas. Im really frustrated. Thank you for your time.

Also when I lowered my fuel pressure to 5psi it ran better but still terrible. I think these injectors are stuck open or something isnt closing them. What could be doing this?
Nathan
Old 03-11-2011, 03:19 AM

going to test the FPR and Fuel pump to see if theres any leaking or injectors stuck open (even if theyre new). indash fuel gauge reads nice 38 psi. maybe a bad connection going to the megasquirt causing this. lots of tests tomorrow. who knows i might find a simple fix... what connection to megasquirt would cause this flooding or injectors stay open?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:10 AM

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: L98 HCI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt

If you have a cold start injector (pre-89) it might be leaking.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:22 AM

I actually have a first fuel injection manifold. It doesnt have it. I'm thinking it might be the FPR but what has me stumped is the fuel pressure gauge reads 38 psi but immediatly leaks to 0 psi after pump goes off. can the aeromotive style ebay FPR read 38 psi but delivering fuel pump pressure un regulated???