TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

injectors ohming at 20

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: 5 Speed manual
injectors ohming at 20

So my little brother liked my TA so much, or maybe the fact that he can't drive it , he went out and bought one for himself! Anyway, his injectors are at 20, is this too high? If so what could cause it? His car is driving him crazy, they were replaced by the previous owner 2 years ago (had the receipt) they are the bosch 3, they were brand new not reman. Pleas help. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac
Re: injectors ohming at 20

I wouldn't get too stuck on the high resistance of the injectors. Are they not clicking? Has injector pulse been checked with a noid light? If you have spark and no injector pulse, check for power at the injectors with a test light. check the injector fuses. Then check for pulse with a noid. If you have spark, injector power and no pulse, Check the car for VATS. Does the key have a resistor plug. Does the car have a security light? If no VATS, check the injector drive circuit from the ECM. If you have no spark or pulse, check distributor.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by ASE doc
I wouldn't get too stuck on the high resistance of the injectors. Are they not clicking? Has injector pulse been checked with a noid light? If you have spark and no injector pulse, check for power at the injectors with a test light. check the injector fuses. Then check for pulse with a noid. If you have spark, injector power and no pulse, Check the car for VATS. Does the key have a resistor plug. Does the car have a security light? If no VATS, check the injector drive circuit from the ECM. If you have no spark or pulse, check distributor.
Actually, the car is running fine, we are just curious if that is too high or if it is normal. We were curious because we know if they are too low they are bad but nowhere does it say they are bad. He had actually taken the car in for a purging idle and the mechanic told him his injectors were incredibly high, but he couldn't figure out why!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

Surging idle is most often caused by lean AFR. Unmetered air, low fuel pressure, MAP or MAF error. Clean MAF(if applicable) using MAF cleaner. I have tested many engine components and found readings to be unusual. I have made the mistake of replacing parts that read abnormal only to find that the new part was no different. I wouldn't worry about the injectors testing high. For all you know the mechanics equipment may be faulty or Bosch just wound the injectors for especially high impedance to lower current load on the drivers. Viewing injector waveform on a scope will tell you if there is an issue. You can call Bosch and ask them about it.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by ASE doc
Surging idle is most often caused by lean AFR. Unmetered air, low fuel pressure, MAP or MAF error. Clean MAF(if applicable) using MAF cleaner. I have tested many engine components and found readings to be unusual. I have made the mistake of replacing parts that read abnormal only to find that the new part was no different. I wouldn't worry about the injectors testing high. For all you know the mechanics equipment may be faulty or Bosch just wound the injectors for especially high impedance to lower current load on the drivers. Viewing injector waveform on a scope will tell you if there is an issue. You can call Bosch and ask them about it.
Like I said, his car is running fine, now, idk what the problem actually was, but mine has an idle issue now and then! I think I will give that a try! Thanks so much for your help, we all appreciate it!