TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have problems running Bosch III injectors with Edelbrock manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011 | 11:14 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87' IROC
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
Anyone have problems running Bosch III injectors with Edelbrock manifold?

I picked up a set of Bosch III 27lb injectors to replace my old FMS 24lb injectors. I got them from South Bay. They use a pressed on adapter to increase the length of the Bosch IIIs to the TPI injector length. The shoulder on the adapter seems to be to big and prevents the injector from fitting all the way into the injector bore on my Edelbrock intake. The o-ring on the injector does not reach its sealing surface.

Here is a pic of the injectors from Southbay's website.

Here is my pic showing how far the Bosch IIIs fit compared to my old FMS injectors.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas?
Old 01-10-2011 | 07:09 AM

Car: 89 iroc
Engine: l98
Transmission: tremec
Re: Anyone have problems running Bosch III injectors with Edelbrock manifold?

i think you have no issue.., if you mount the rail i think you will be ok.. the bottom o ring is sealing in the bore.. Thats the main thing.. The top going into the rail further than the one on the left makes no difference..i would just assemble it and not worry. No clips.
Old 01-10-2011 | 11:13 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by irocuroc
i think you have no issue.., if you mount the rail i think you will be ok.. the bottom o ring is sealing in the bore.. Thats the main thing.. The top going into the rail further than the one on the left makes no difference..i would just assemble it and not worry. No clips.
But the o-ring isn't sealing. Thats my problem.

I got an email back from South Bay already.

Hi John,

I know exactly what the problem is…can you give us a call?

Update comming...
Old 01-10-2011 | 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Ok, Southbay said some aftermarket manifolds require the normal injectors without the metal spacers. I'm still a bit skeptical as now the injectors will be shorter than the old ones which worked fine. But kudos to Southbay for excellent customer service.
Old 01-10-2011 | 01:59 PM

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: 350/Dart heads/hotcam/TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9bolt

When I switched from my factory 19 pounders to the LT1 injectors I am running now they were a little too short. I first tried to use the LS2 injector top oring. I was still having a vacuum leak. After thinking about it for a while I shaved the pedestal that the fuel rail bolts onto. That effectively "lowered" the injector into the hole further and sealed the vacuum leak. I don't know if that info helps you or not.
Old 01-10-2011 | 03:01 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Artisan
When I switched from my factory 19 pounders to the LT1 injectors I am running now they were a little too short. I first tried to use the LS2 injector top oring. I was still having a vacuum leak. After thinking about it for a while I shaved the pedestal that the fuel rail bolts onto. That effectively "lowered" the injector into the hole further and sealed the vacuum leak. I don't know if that info helps you or not.
Its an idea I have considered, but I'd rather not pull the intake if I can help it.

I also just looked at the FIC website. It seems that their solution for the injector height difference would work better than the Southbay solution. They use an extra o-ring that seals against the bevel in the injector boss.

I am just obviously nervous using injectors that are now 1/4" shorter than they should be.
Old 01-10-2011 | 03:27 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Watch this video from FIC if you haven't all ready. Try taking the machined caps off and using the original o-ring location. That should get you back up to the stock ford injector height.
Old 01-10-2011 | 03:32 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by rippin ron
Watch this video from FIC if you haven't all ready. Try taking the machined caps off and using the original o-ring location. That should get you back up to the stock ford injector height.
Yeah I just saw that one. I guess I need to make sure Southbay sends the new set equipt with the second o-ring. If I understand how they are doing it, the lower o-ring fits into the bore and the second fits in the chamfer to prevent the injector from sliding to far into the bore. This brings the height back up to stock. See attached picture, far right injector. The second o-ring would fit into the groove just above the lower o-ring.

Sound about right?
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have problems running Bosch III injectors with Edelbrock manifold?-injectors.jpg  
Old 01-10-2011 | 03:37 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Swap the orings from your 42's, just be gentle.
Old 01-10-2011 | 06:06 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

You are not understanding...as i explained to John, the reason why our injector with the adapter is not fitting is because of the edelbrock manifold. If you look at the pic our injector is sitting approx 1/4in higher than the fms, which is the lenght of the stock tpi injector. The fms are the same legnth as the bosch lll's oring to oring without our adapter. The double oring design that FIC uses is something that we all used to rectify the length issue with the stock tpi injectors. The adapter that we designed is just an upgraded design over the double oring set up. If the injectors sit too high with the adapter, they are going sit too high with the second oring,, reason being is that with the double oring set up, the additional oring sits on the outside of the manifold thereby acting as a spacer to give the bosch lll additonal height for proper fitment. Our adapters and lower oring were custom made to fit to the exact height as the stock tpi injector and the height of the bosch with the second oring. I am going to send a another set with the double orings,, they are still going to sit to high, if you push the second oring too far into the intake then you will be defeating the purpose. This intake is an edelbrock intake not stock.

Last edited by southbay08; 01-10-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2011 | 06:13 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, it just seems strange that edelbrock would be different than stock. Stupid aftermarket parts. Southbay is treating me very well.
Old 01-10-2011 | 08:42 PM

Car: 75 Vette
Engine: 406 TPI
Transmission: 700 R-4
Axle/Gears: 373

Originally Posted by 87350IROC
Yes, it just seems strange that edelbrock would be different than stock. Stupid aftermarket parts. Southbay is treating me very well.
Southbay seems to treat everyone well
Old 01-11-2011 | 07:46 AM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1tpi
Southbay seems to treat everyone well
Thank you, we sure do try our very best

www.southbayfuelinjectors.com
516-492-6504
Old 01-11-2011 | 09:15 AM

Car: 91 z28
Engine: 350/ported accel tpi/AFR 195
Transmission: t-5 =(
Axle/Gears: 345

So what was the actual issue? I have the 27 lb injectors as well as an aftermarket intake will I be running into this problem?
Old 01-11-2011 | 09:29 AM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

can you give me a call? If I remember correctly you and i discussed this issue when you purchased the injectors. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2011 | 02:53 PM

The top going into the rail further than the one on the left makes no difference
Actually it can make a difference. Its possible to push the injectors into the rail far enough that the oring goes past the machined surface in the rail. In that position, it will leak pretty badly.
Old 01-11-2011 | 04:16 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

Originally Posted by southbay08
can you give me a call? If I remember correctly you and i discussed this issue when you purchased the injectors. Thanks.
Why don't you post the info on the correction that you are doing. No one can see a phone call. Our do you have something to hide?
Old 01-11-2011 | 04:57 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by burnout88
Why don't you post the info on the correction that you are doing. No one can see a phone call. Our do you have something to hide?
I don't understand why you have to be this way. If you have a question just ask without making accusations....we will be MORE than happy to answer all questions. If you read all of my posts you will see what the correction is...it is very simple. Instead of using the injectors with our adapter which is the same as the double oring set up, due to the aftermarket intake you just need the bosch lll's without the adapter or the double orings.
I am NOT hiding anything.
We sold over 5,000 of the bosch lll injectors with our adapter last year WITHOUT ONE PROBLEM. We are just finding that they do not fit with aftermarket intakes, SO we will be sure to make everyone aware of this issue when purchasing our tpi injectors.

www.southbayfuelinjectors.com
516-492-6504

Last edited by southbay08; 01-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2011 | 08:42 PM

they do this to be polite. and it solves a problem right away with out going back and forth over messages and taking up people time? When it comes to buisness time is money especially when you stand by your product. I respect that. I guess there is a couple of ways you can look at it, but if you have delt with southbay you know that they have good customer service and you will know that they arent trying to get over on you.

Last edited by dspencer24; 01-12-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2011 | 09:45 PM
Supreme Member

There is no place for the 'tude in this thread. The fix is to use the injectors without the adapters.
Old 01-13-2011 | 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

I got the new injectors today. How about that for fast shipping, NY to WA. Excellent service again from Southbay.

Its looks like the new setup with the double o-rings will work well for me. They sit slightly taller (maybe 1/10") than the FMS injectors and probably1/8"-1/6" shorter than the Bosch III's with metal adapter.

FMS vs Bosch III with double o-ring

Bosch III with metal adapter vs Bosch III with double o-ring

Somewhere I have the stock injectors. I'll see if I can dig them up and make some comparisons.

Southbay. I'll get the old ones shipped back to you tomorrow or Saturday. I wanted to get some pics taken before I sent them back.
Old 01-13-2011 | 11:00 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

I have a question,,, how far down is the second oring? Is it visible on the outside of the intake? The point of the second oring on the bosch lll's is for it to act as a spacer and to sit on the outside of the intake when needing the extra height for the stock setups.
Old 01-13-2011 | 11:08 PM

Car: 1986 Vett, 2001 Expedition
Engine: 383SBC 435 H/P, 500 TQ
Axle/Gears: 307

I running FIC Bosh 3 24# injectors with a Edebrock intake base and SPL runers #3 and #5 runners tubes get in the way installing the Injector plugs it will fit but it tight fit.

Can I ask why you using 27# injectors is your motor built.
Old 01-13-2011 | 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Marv02
I running FIC Bosh 3 24# injectors with a Edebrock intake base and SPL runers #3 and #5 runners tubes get in the way installing the Injector plugs it will fit but it tight fit.

Can I ask why you using 27# injectors is your motor built.
Yeah i had the same problem when i put mine in. I think mine might be in a little to deep
Old 01-13-2011 | 11:27 PM

We have been selling these for years at 27lb at 43.5 psi specifically for corvettes, camaros, and many other applications, I also sell them to an engine builder based out of Florida. They are a company who builds the engines for the Jeeps. When we flow them on our bench they flow 26.9 lb at 43.5psi. but i do know that people advertise them at 24lb, just don't know what pressure they are flowing them at.
can you do a video or something putting a blue top 24 and the bosch3 side by side.. That would be cool if you don't mind
Old 01-13-2011 | 11:28 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

Ok, Southbay said some aftermarket manifolds require the normal injectors without the metal spacers. I'm still a bit skeptical as now the injectors will be shorter than the old ones which worked fine. But kudos to Southbay for excellent customer service.
The injectors without the metal adapter are the same exact length oring to oring as the FMS that is why the bosch lll's should be fine without the additional oring or the adapter.
Old 01-13-2011 | 11:29 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

If you give me a minute i will take a pic right now. Don't go away.
Old 01-13-2011 | 11:48 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

ok, so here is a pic with a fms next to a bosch lll oring to oring. (single oring, no adapter)
the other pic is of the fms with the 22lb and our adapter for the Stock TPi setups
Sorry for the dirty looking injectors just grabbed a couple so that i can take the pics
Can get a video out within the next couple of days. Hope this helps for now.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have problems running Bosch III injectors with Edelbrock manifold?-img_1457.jpg   Anyone have problems running Bosch III injectors with Edelbrock manifold?-img_1459.jpg  

Last edited by southbay08; 01-14-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-14-2011 | 07:34 AM

My FIC 24# are Black I was not sure what brand they were at first I asked after I recived them if they were Bocsh 3 Injectors before my 24 were 22# and they were Yellow.

I ran the Yelow ones for a month before I pulled the motor and built a mild built motor for my Vett that needed bigger injectors Oh ya FIC traded me for the larger injectors and yes I had to pay a small price to do so.
Old 01-14-2011 | 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

I have a question,,, how far down is the second oring? Is it visible on the outside of the intake? The point of the second oring on the bosch lll's is for it to act as a spacer and to sit on the outside of the intake when needing the extra height for the stock setups.
It is down pretty far. But I think the chamfer on the Edelbrock manifold is longer and/or wider than stock. So while you can't see the second o-ring, it is indeed resting on the chamfer. The injectors aren't going anywhere. I think I also have my stock intake laying around somewhere. I'll see if I can dust it off tonight and re-take all the photos with it.
Old 01-14-2011 | 12:20 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

John, for curiosity sake, is it possible to try one of the injectors with one oring? As you can see in my pics, the measurement oring to oring with the fms and the bosch is exactly the same. So i am confused as to why you need the second oring? Did the fms fit without a problem? Feedback from any other members with this problem would be greatly appreciated so that we can address this problem accordingly. Unfortunately when we designed these adapters we did not have every aftermarket intake.
We have changed ever one of our adds on our website and ebay instructing people to call us if they have an aftermarket intake.
Old 01-14-2011 | 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rippin ron
Swap the orings from your 42's, just be gentle.
You can't do that. Those bottom o-rings are proprietary on that extension setup.

We do the double o-rings with standard o-rings so you can repair them in the field. Ask Marv02, he asked me about that.

You can go to the local auto parts store and pick up an o-ring on the fly for pennies, no waiting, no shipping. If you pull that injector and the o-ring sticks to the manifold, your SOL until you can get one shipped.

Bosch has a provision for an additional o-ring. The must have put that o-ring provision there for some reason, and who am I to argue with Bosch. It's safe, seals, and readily available. We've done THOUSANDS of these injectors with the double ring, without a problem.
Old 01-14-2011 | 05:24 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION ON FLOW RATE. THIS IS A DISCUSSION ON FITMENT. Start a new thread if you are interested in discussing flow rate of these injectors.

I have had nothing but problems with the old blue tops. I'm hoping the Bosch III is more reliable.
In response to your concern, the bosch lll is one of the most efficient and reliable injectors out there.
Old 01-14-2011 | 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

John, for curiosity sake, is it possible to try one of the injectors with one oring? As you can see in my pics, the measurement oring to oring with the fms and the bosch is exactly the same. So i am confused as to why you need the second oring? Did the fms fit without a problem? Feedback from any other members with this problem would be greatly appreciated so that we can address this problem accordingly. Unfortunately when we designed these adapters we did not have every aftermarket intake.
We have changed ever one of our adds on our website and ebay instructing people to call us if they have an aftermarket intake.
I will try them without the second o-ring tonight. I simply like the idea of the second o-ring to positively locate the injector so it cannot possibly get pushed to far into the manifold.
Old 01-14-2011 | 05:37 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

i understand, if you do not mind it is just more info for us, yet i keep going back to the same issue...if the fms fit without a problem then the bosch lll should be fine without the extra oring as they are both bosch and measure exactly the same oring to oring. That is why i am so anxioius to see how it works out. I appreciate all of the time that you are taking to work with me.
Old 01-14-2011 | 06:16 PM
Supreme Member

i understand, if you do not mind it is just more info for us, yet i keep going back to the same issue...if the fms fit without a problem then the bosch lll should be fine without the extra oring as they are both bosch and measure exactly the same oring to oring. That is why i am so anxioius to see how it works out. I appreciate all of the time that you are taking to work with me.
Yes, but the FMS have the clips to prevent them from getting pushed out of the rail. I'll try it tonight and see how comfortable I am without the second o-ring.
Old 01-14-2011 | 06:30 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

Yes, that is correct, but the bosch lll's are the newer generation of the fms. The bosch lll's do not use the clips, it is the pressure from the fuel rail that holds them in place.
Old 01-14-2011 | 07:02 PM

Yes, that is correct, but the bosch lll's are the newer generation of the fms. The bosch lll's do not use the clips, it is the pressure from the fuel rail that holds them in place.
Can I interject here because you seem not to understand what really going on here. True the old 24 and the new Bosch 3 without a clip spot are the same length o ring to o ring. However, when you put in the style 2 with the clips the rail and the injector become one. So the clips actually suspend the shorter injector above the manifold a little. The bottom o ring does seal in the bore so it's not a problem. If you mount the design 2 without clips and seat them fully in the manifold the top o ring will not go into the rail very far and you will have a potentially dangerous situation. Therefor, the Bosch 3 without some kind of raised seat will not seat the upper o ring in the rail either. So the installation requires some kind of mod to the seat. I prefer the second o ring in the grove that is already in the injector. This ring will provide the extra height needed to seal the upper side of the injector into the rail. I have put so many of these together with early style and late style injectors. You have not, as I can tell from your answer. It's ok not to BS here, most injector shops don't install and very few have ever turned a wrench. Hope this helps you guys
Old 01-14-2011 | 07:02 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt

Southbay, is there a part number for the extra O-rings? Are they listed on your web site? I need to do this myself. Thanks
Old 01-14-2011 | 07:30 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

Can I interject here because you seem not to understand what really going on here. True the old 24 and the new Bosch 3 without a clip spot are the same length o ring to o ring. However, when you put in the style 2 with the clips the rail and the injector become one. So the clips actually suspend the shorter injector above the manifold a little. The bottom o ring does seal in the bore so it's not a problem. If you mount the design 2 without clips and seat them fully in the manifold the top o ring will not go into the rail very far and you will have a potentially dangerous situation. Therefor, the Bosch 3 without some kind of raised seat will not seat the upper o ring in the rail either. So the installation requires some kind of mod to the seat. I prefer the second o ring in the grove that is already in the injector. This ring will provide the extra height needed to seal the upper side of the injector into the rail. I have put so many of these together with early style and late style injectors. You have not, as I can tell from your answer. It's ok not to BS here, most injector shops don't install and very few have ever turned a wrench. Hope this helps you guys
What do you mean BS? I totally understand what is happening here. You may install them but we sell them and we spent close to 6 months working on the exact fitment of the adapters with a stock tpi manifold and rail before we started to sell them. We have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM with any set that we sold. Why do you think we designed the adapter?? We sometimes use the double oring set up and we also use the adapter..to give the additional height,, but that is used for a totally stock tpi setup..we are dealing with an aftermarket intake here which has made a difference in the fitment of the tpi injector. (bosch lll with the adapter)

Last edited by southbay08; 01-14-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2011 | 07:31 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1989GTATransAm
Southbay, is there a part number for the extra O-rings? Are they listed on your web site? I need to do this myself. Thanks
I purchase them from a supplier in California...GB remanufacturing. If you want orings give me your address and i will be more than happy to send you some.
Old 01-14-2011 | 07:45 PM

What do you mean BS? I totally understand what is happening here. You may install them but we sell them and we spent close to 6months working on the exact fitment of the adapters before we started to sell them. We have NEVER HAD A PROBLEM with any set that we sold. Why do you think we designed the adapter?? We sometimes use the double oring set up and we also use the adapter..to give the additional height,, but that is used for a totally stock tpi setup..we are dealing with an aftermarket intake here which has made a difference in the fitment of the tpi injector. (bosch lll with the adapter)
What I mean is you never say I don't know.. You just want to fight with anyone that questions you. If you knew what you say you would know that this manifold uses a tpi injector. You would also know how a early style ford fits using the clips. All I want to do is give my forum member friends a logical explination of why you said if the old style fit then the new ones do to. Why don't you thank me for the expliation before the poster pulls his hair out. Your adapters do the trick no problem, but not on this application and no adapter will not work either. So what do you tell him? Try it I,m anxious to see.. See what?
Old 01-14-2011 | 07:59 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

What I mean is you never say I don't know.. You just want to fight with anyone that questions you. If you knew what you say you would know that this manifold uses a tpi injector. You would also know how a early style ford fits using the clips. All I want to do is give my forum member friends a logical explination of why you said if the old style fit then the new ones do to. Why don't you thank me for the expliation before the poster pulls his hair out. Your adapters do the trick no problem, but not on this application and no adapter will not work either. So what do you tell him? Try it I,m anxious to see.. See what?
I am so not trying to fight with anyone, and i do know how the early style injectors fit using the clips. I never say i don't know???? Have you read my posts? I asked all members of this forum for feedback if they were experiencing the same problem so that it never happens again.. but some of you start with accusations, thinking that we are hiding a deep dark secrets, can't you just have a conversation or a discussion? Did you ever think that there might be something here for all of us to learn? I am not trying to make him pull his hair out, if you read my posts to him i thanked him for working with me so that i can also learn from this issue and deal with it appropriately from this point on. . How many different ways do i need explain that?? I think that is obvious that my adapter does not work with this intake and i would like to know how the injector fits with and without the extra oring. I would like as much info as possible. Why do you see that as being unreasonable or lacking in knowlege? Obviosly i do not know the answer as of yet, but i am certainly trying to figure it out

Last edited by southbay08; 01-14-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2011 | 08:09 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah that was my point about the clip. Thanks for explaining further. Perhaps the Edelbrock has a deeper injector bung than stock.
Old 01-14-2011 | 08:11 PM
Supreme Member

I am so not trying to fight with anyone, and i do know how the early style injectors fit using the clips. I never say i don't know???? Have you read my posts? I asked all members of this forum for feedback if they were experiencing the same problem so that it never happens again.. but some of you start with accusations, thinking that we are hiding a deep dark secrets, can't you just have a conversation or a discussion? Did you ever think that there might be something here for all of us to learn? I am not trying to make him pull his hair out, if you read my posts to him i thanked him for working with me so that i can also learn from this issue and deal with it appropriately from this point on. . How many different ways do i need explain that?? I think that is obvious that my adapter does not work with this intake and i would like to know how the injector fits with and without the extra oring. I would like as much info as possible. Why do you see that as being unreasonable or lacking in knowlege? Obviosly i do not know the answer as of yet, but i am certainly trying to figure it out
I don't mind putting in the leg work. I am actually not pulling my hair out at all. This is a good learning experience.
Old 01-14-2011 | 08:13 PM
Sponsor
15 Year Member

Thank you John, trust me i am learning from this also and i am not ashamed to say it. Once again i appreciate the help.
Old 01-14-2011 | 08:30 PM
Supreme Member

Ok. Here we go. First of all I found my old stockers, Rochester 5235302.

FMS vs B III 2-ring vs B III adapter vs B III 1-ring vs stock with tops lined up
Old 01-14-2011 | 08:36 PM
Supreme Member

FMS vs Stock

B III adapter vs Stock

B III 2 o-ring vs Stock
Old 01-14-2011 | 08:38 PM

Just asking why would you want to use 27# injectors on a stock motor..
What I have gathered all it going to due is use more gas not give you any more power.

And even if you had a chip burned for the larger injectors the stock motor cant use as much fuel as the 27# injectors can supply in to the motor.

My motor in a mild build with 24# injrctors works fine thats a 353 H/P motor at 4500 Rpm's and 460 TQ at 2500 RPM and set to rev up to 5200 RPM's, It could rev higher but it has a 1100 to 5200 type cam in it.

Next reason My motor not set up to rev is the TPI intake system not a high reving set up they say you can get it to work 5500 to 5800 RPM's but why for everyday street car how offen are you going to be able to wind it that high.
Old 01-14-2011 | 08:41 PM
Supreme Member

B III 2 o-ring vs B III 1 o-ring

B III metal adapter vs B III 1 o-ring

FMS vs B III 1 o-ring

Quick Reply: Anyone have problems running Bosch III injectors with Edelbrock manifold?