TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

89 iroc wont start after ecu failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84' Firebird SE, 89' Iroc-Z28
Engine: 305 carb, 305 tpi
Transmission: t5, 700r4
89 iroc wont start after ecu failure

my 89 iroc 305 tpi wont start.

some info: 3 weeks ago my wife drove to work just fine, parked and at the end of the day it would start but the second you gave it gas it died. i got it under the cover of a camera for the night by driving it in idle to an underground faculty across the lot. next day i adjusted and put in a iac valve thinking that it probably was it. it still didn't start.at that time i checked for any bad codes and found that i wasnt getting a 12 code so i replaced the ecu, still no 12 code so i replaced the hypertech chip that it has. now I'm getting a 12 code finally and no bad codes. the car simply wont run. I've checked timing and found a loose distributor (never take your car to someone you don't know when you dont have time to do it yourself) and slightly out of timing, ive set timing at 6 deg with the computer disabled still nothing. distributor cap and rotor are new. wires all look good and have been checked for any impedance. I am getting visually good spark on all cylinders. when starting you can smell the hint of gas and the fuel pump is priming and no unussual sounds. ive checked for fuel pressure at the fuel rail got 50 lbs. the fuel pressure seems constant with no unussal drops while cranking. im not seeing any leakage on the injectors or anything giving a hint of bad injectors. injectors are about a year old. have tried small amount of ether and while it helps a little all the motor will do is crank.

any ideas or anything i have missed so far?

addem : i also replaced a bad coil and new coil has been double checked and proper.

Last edited by crackrat; 12-18-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84' Firebird SE, 89' Iroc-Z28
Engine: 305 carb, 305 tpi
Transmission: t5, 700r4
Re: 89 iroc wont start after ecu failure

i may have found at least an issue if not the issue. I started to go though the injectors and the second on back on the drivers side appears to have been glued to the wiring connector of the injector. I cannot even pry the cap off it seems like it is part of the injector now,the rubber seal is loose and it looks like epoxy under the seal. there is gas leaking out of the top of the wiring connector not even understanding how that is possible.would really love to talk to Go Ford where the car was bought and pushed though emissions. according to my records of work done this injector was replaced during the emissions issues the car had. anyway i guess its time for the fuel rail to be yanked and a good eyeball done to all their work :P