TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here... fuel injection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird GTA
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt
New here... fuel injection?

Sorry for this being so long, but please read if you can help, thank you! Im new to this site, but Ive been looking at some forum posts and I belive this is the site for me!

I built a nice 383 and decided to put it in a thirdgen. I mated it to an lt1 style t56 and overall its been great. Runs perfectly and gets decent gas mileage for what it is, but Its carberated... Im more of an EFI person, but at the time I didnt have the money to do anything else with it.

I was given a brand new Holley 750 DP with a proform mainbody for christmas and I used that with an edelbrock performer RPM intake on the engine. Even though the car runs very good, I would much rather have EFI for winter driving, better fuel economy, and of course reliability and no more tearing the carb apart everytime the weather changes!

So my question is this.. What would be the best way to install EFI on this car? When I got the car it was without an engine or tranny so I dont have a harness or anything. The only thing that was in the back glove box was the computer for the car. Its suposed to be for the car and works perfectly.

I have been thinking this through and would like to do this as cheaply as possible.. Im pretty sure I can take my intake to a buddy of mines machine shop and he can retrofit it for injectors. Also couldnt I modify a TBI unit for a TB, also wouldnt this be easier to set the IAC? The previous owner of the car said he installed a more expensive fuel pump in the tank that puts out an upwards of 60psi so that should be good. I would like to just buy a new harness from somone like painless wiring for easibility.. its worth it to me! I would like to use a carb hat type deal and run a CAI to to the top of the TB. Is there a good place to get all of the sensors for a decent price?

Last but not least.. the computer and injectors. What would be a good size injector for a forged 383 that puts about 475hp? Could I reuse the computer i have and just get it tuned on a dyno? Or should I just use something like megasquirt? I wont need to drive the car for a while, so learning to use the megasquirt would be no issue and I have a small laptop i can keep under the seat of the car. I would like to turbocharged within the next year or so, so megasquirt might be ideal.

Sorry for this being so long, but does this sound like a good plan. Also do you have any advice about this and maybe an estimated cost? Thank you!
Old 08-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: New here... fuel injection?

A standalone engine only harness to suit your computer ( what computer ? ) would be the easy fix .Available from other than Painless for cheaper
Compare intakes here
http://www.compcams.com/Community/Ar...?ID=1737510521

TBI TB mod
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/alte...dy-anyone.html
Old 08-29-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird GTA
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 Bolt

Originally Posted by vetteoz
A standalone engine only harness to suit your computer ( what computer ? ) would be the easy fix .Available from other than Painless for cheaper
Compare intakes here
http://www.compcams.com/Community/Ar...?ID=1737510521

TBI TB mod
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/alte...dy-anyone.html

Just getting a stock TPI setup is looking better and better... The money from selling the double pumper, intake, and igntion system should be enough to buy the tpi system plus bigger injectors right?
Old 08-29-2010, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 375 Likes on 303 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Last but not least.. the computer and injectors. What would be a good size injector for a forged 383 that puts about 475hp? Could I reuse the computer i have and just get it tuned on a dyno? Or should I just use something like megasquirt? I wont need to drive the car for a while, so learning to use the megasquirt would be no issue and I have a small laptop i can keep under the seat of the car. I would like to turbocharged within the next year or so, so megasquirt might be ideal.
For a decent hot 383, skip TPI systems and go with something else like stealth ram, proflo xt or single plane EFI. If you have a decent single plane manifold now, convert it.
Injectors go with atleast 30 lb or run 36's for safety

New victor EFI with rails is 411 bucks from Summit. Need a MPFI style TB or get intake elbow and use a LS1 throttlebody.

For ECM can still use either 165 ecm from 86-89 or go with speed density 730 ecm 91-92. Thats what I'd do if you plan to turbocharge it later.

Need to find a harness for a TPI car to match the ecm year you choose.

Megasquirt wouldnt be a bad option either if you wanted to go that way. It elminates the need for chips/memcals I believe. I dont know much about it but seems like a good system.

Another system that could work well would be EF-EFI. THey have carb retrofit applications that easily swap on and make the motor a TBI type setup. Maybe not the best for power but can work and tune itself with wideband input.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

if you are going to run 475hp then you are going to need at least 36lb on the injectors.