TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1995 Formula
Engine: LT1 350
Transmission: Built 4L60e
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, Eaton posi, 3.73's
What else can I do?

OK guys, I ported out my plenum some, got the Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8 wires, NGK Iridium plugs, and I set my timing at 8 btdc and put 91 octane in my tank.

What else should I do?

Any suggestions?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro z28 convertible
Engine: 383 tpi
Transmission: t5
Re: What else can I do?

well im not expert but these r things i did......air foil,hawks ram air,headers, edelbrock cat back,k&n filters, underdrive pullys, adj. fuel reg.......was it hard to port your plennum????ohh i also deleted my smog but i dunno how much if any hp that adds
Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 PM
Supreme Member

It wasn't hard porting the plenum-it just took some time and some cutting bits and oil. I highly recommend using cutting oil, as your surface finish will turn out smoother with it, and your bit won't get clogged with aluminum as easy.

I figured working on the 305, since I already have it, is good small block chevy practice for me, since I have been a 4-banger guy my whole life, up until I bought my IROC three years ago, which had a 350 and which I miss terribly.

I have Hedman shorties, y pipe, exhaust, Accel Super Coil, iridium plugs, 8.8 mm wires, tb coolant bypass, ported plenum, descreened maf, opened up snorkel intake a bit by cutting four rectangular holes in the front of it just below the k & n filters, and new cap and rotor, and I removed my entire a/c system and smog pump.

I'm going to yank the 416 heads and do a home port and polish on them and get a valve job (I'm considering doing 1.5/1.94 Manley street flo valves but not sure if it's worth it). Actually I'll probably find some junkyard heads, so I can just port those and have them ready to bolt on. It would probably be a worthwhile endeavor, especially if I were to use the p/p 416's on a 350 later on, with a thicker head gasket, of course (I don't want to have to run race fuel).

I'm going to use the Fel Pro steel shim .015 under the heads on my 305, and I'm thinking I'll need the heads milled .015 or maybe .02, since I'm shaving the edges off the combustion chambers, to match the gasket. I'm not too sure about this, though, because I'm not sure if I'm supposed to match the combustion chambers to an actual 305 bore sized gasket or to the larger diameter cc bore fel pro .015 gasket. I am still new to the sbc.

I do believe porting those 416 heads and getting a valve job, with or without the larger Manley valves, will be good for right around 30 horses.

I plan on doing a Lunati Barebones cam and lifter swap (the biggest I can go without having to change my computer--the cam is almost exactly like the Comp Cams 252 ah-12 but the Barebones is a better deal at $89 for the cam AND new lifters), a tru trac posi, 3.42 gears, afpr, panhard bar, lower control arms, and new front suspension bushings.

If the cam swap and headwork give me around 50 more horses, I'll be happy with that for a while, especially once I have posi, gears and a tightened up rear axle assembly. I think I'll have a pretty nice running Camaro, when all that's done.

Am I missing anything, besides a 350?

Last edited by New2Chevy; 04-28-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 camaro z28 convertible
Engine: 383 tpi
Transmission: t5

sounds like u got it down pretty well....it also sounds like your very handy being able to do the head work and watnot...that thing is gonna rip when your done..i am also changing my rear to 3:43 posi 9bolt pbr ,i hear that will make a big difference b/c i am runnin 3:08 currently. good luck with your project and keep us posted
Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Supreme Member

Slight change in plans, as far as the camshaft. I've decided I'm going to go a few steps up the cam ladder.

Here is what I'm going to do:

Lunati Barebones cam kit for $115.00 (10002LK Lunati Part number).

Specs with 1.5 rockers: .465/.488 lift-112 lsa-224/234 duration

I'll need a new chip, but it'll be worth it, for the higher gains I'll achieve.

I'm wondering if I should use my Ford 24's, over my stock injectors, simply because they're better injectors (I know I will not have to utilize their flow capabilities). I'm sure the chip can address those injectors, if I decide to go with them.

Anyway, that 224/234 duration cam will really help that 305 shine. It will be way better than that first cam I chose, as it was quite tame.