TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech Chip Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypertech Chip Question

Hello,

I know some of you guys like Hypertech, and some don't. But since I dont know how to write my own chip, and I dont have a lot of money, and I am doing anything and everything to squeeze every little horsepower out of my 305. So here is my question:
I know a friend of a friend of a friend that has a used Hypertech thermomaster chip, for a 1990 trans am 305 TPI 5-speed. Will this chip work the same in my 1991 trans am 305 TPI 5-speed car? Are they the same motor and electronics?
On a side note will a hypertech thermomaster chip for an 1991 auto 350 TPI work in my car? Any other helpful hints to get some power out of these cars? I don't have an afpr yet, but soon hopefully, all I have for now is(LB9):

K&N (of course)
TPIS airfoil (of course)
MSD Superconductor wires
March pullies
Timing set to 8 BTDC (instead of 6)
Flowmaster catback exhaust

Soon MSD cap and rotor
Soon MSD ignition module, has anyone converted to a blaster II? How did you do it? Is it a lot better than just the standard direct replacement MSD Module?

I heard about smoothing the EGR walls behind the throttle body? Anybody got a how-to post on this with pics? Is it worth it?
What kind of spark plugs are you guys running, and what are they gapped at?
Anybody got a good recommendation on a clutch?

The car runs pretty good for a 305, like I said I just want to get all I can out of it, without spending a whole lot of money, I would like to switch to an MSD 6al ignition amplifier eventually, but cant right now.

Any help you guys can give me is waaaay appreciated!
Thanx
Old 03-25-2010, 07:43 PM

Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Hypertech Chip Question

I have the hypertech thermomaster, but I believe you have to run a 160 degree thermostat with it. I also have the hypertech street runner. I seriously doubt either has done anything for my car as I have run them all at the track. I dropped 2 tenths the first time I used the thermomaster and was AMAZED! Then I ran it again another day and I was 4 tenths slower. I am going to say the chip made little to no difference. I also think that you can't run a chip for a 350 in a 305. Last, there are threads on here that show how to smooth the EGR walls in the plenum. That I believe is worth the effort! Just my 2 cents though
Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z28
Engine: 5.7L 350ci
Transmission: auto 700R4B&MshiftKit
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Hey, so I have a 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L Camaro TPI of course. It has some motor work done to it, LT1 Cam, MSD Rotor and Cap, Bored to 355ci, ported and polished heads, Flowtech Headers, K&N Air Filters, and some Summit Racing Pistons. I Still have a stock chip for it and have also eliminated all smog affiliations. It is estimated to be pushing close to 400hp, but I have my doubts. I recently looked into getting a Hypertech ThermoMaster Power Chip. Will this Chip help my Camaro gain more power?

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Received 367 Likes on 286 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

Not sure about the 90 to 91 differences, but I "THINK" you can. I believe the switch to SD from MAF happened in 90. Might be other differences. You can NOT use a 350 chip in a 350 car.

LordVabear, chances are more likely you're pushing 300, not 400. You need a custom program, not a hypertech. The hypertech is designed to increase performance on stock motor, not a modded one. Now whether or not is DOES increase performance on stock motor is debatable, but regardless, it's not intended for a modded motor. Now that being said, given your mods, your stock chip should run pretty darn well.
Here's super simple breakdown. Your MAF (mass air flow) system, through all it's sensors, sends information to the computer. Your chip holds instructions on what to do based on the information the sensors detect. As long as that chip has information on what to do, it doesn't really care what mods you've done. The problem is that on more modified engines, the sensors are sending information values that the stock chip was never designed to work with. A BIG cam with BIG heads on a BIG motor is gonna need WAY more fuel to go with WAY more air!!!!...when the sensors tell the computer it has X amount of air, the stock chip has no value. No table to look up. It was never intended for that much air to be in the stock equation. Your mods should have no trouble running well with the stock chip.

...however, here's the fun part. Within the operating range of that chip, there's a LOT more going on than my simple example. Everytime you change something, the stock chip isn't quite as good as if it were custom tailored to what you did. NOTHING is as good as chip/tune, custom designed for your car. Even 2 of the same exact motors aren't identical, and the same chip won't be as good in one as it will in the other. My advice to you is either have your car specifically dyno tuned, or run whatcha got until you can!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

I have run a 350 chip in my 88 305 IROC and it ran fine. I even had a 350 chip from a vette in there and it ran fine. Not sure about the SD cars but on my MAF car I did it. My car also ran 2 tenths quicker with an off the shelf JET stage 2 chip.

If looking for a good off the shelf preburned chip for a stock motor check out Ed Wrights fast chip. http://www.fastchip.com/ he does some of the best chips for stock and custom motors.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:14 PM

Hey thanks for the info guys. So where do I get the right custom program or whatever, and which one specifically? I am slowly saving up money to get my IROC-Z faster. Perhaps, eventually I will get either a Twin Turbo setup or SuperCharger. Probably gonna have to go with Twin Turbo setup because my compression is 9.1 I think.

Also, Abubaca, why do you think my car has closer to 300hp? Just want to know what your reasoning is, so I can adjust.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:08 PM

Lord, I'm definitely NOT attacking your combo, hope you didn't take it the wrong way. Let's look at the meat and potatoes. TPI intake, LT1 cam, worked over stock heads. All the others help, of course, but aren't really gonna make or break your motor. The TPI itself, right there is a killer. You'll make great torque, and I love this intake, but it kills high end power. It just can't flow enough. Then the LT1 cam. Not a bad cam, but still pretty small by performance standards. I can't be sure what was done to the stock heads, but all the work in the world won't overcome the TPI and LT1 cam. Given the intake and cam, the best bet for heads would be efficient heads to take advantage of the cam and intake characteristics. Say maybe LT1/vortec heads? something with a smaller (bigger than stock) intake runner? ...and with an LT1 cam and LT1 intake, the LT1 motors still only made 275hp. The parts just aren't there to make that much power. With a modded TPI, a decently matched set of heads and cam, and a lot of guys still aren't dyno much over 300. Some are, most aren't. The parts just aren't there.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:23 PM

I have run a 350 chip in my 88 305 IROC and it ran fine. I even had a 350 chip from a vette in there and it ran fine.
Search results: 350 chip in a 305
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/sear...archid=4265698

I have provided you all with water. Whether or not you drink is up to you.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91' Firebird SOLD
Engine: 350 TPI +bolt-ons
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Originally Posted by Enzo T/A
Hello,

I know some of you guys like Hypertech, and some don't. But since I dont know how to write my own chip, and I dont have a lot of money, and I am doing anything and everything to squeeze every little horsepower out of my 305. So here is my question:
I know a friend of a friend of a friend that has a used Hypertech thermomaster chip, for a 1990 trans am 305 TPI 5-speed. Will this chip work the same in my 1991 trans am 305 TPI 5-speed car? Are they the same motor and electronics?
On a side note will a hypertech thermomaster chip for an 1991 auto 350 TPI work in my car? Any other helpful hints to get some power out of these cars? I don't have an afpr yet, but soon hopefully, all I have for now is(LB9):

K&N (of course)
TPIS airfoil (of course)
MSD Superconductor wires
March pullies
Timing set to 8 BTDC (instead of 6)
Flowmaster catback exhaust

Soon MSD cap and rotor
Soon MSD ignition module, has anyone converted to a blaster II? How did you do it? Is it a lot better than just the standard direct replacement MSD Module?

I heard about smoothing the EGR walls behind the throttle body? Anybody got a how-to post on this with pics? Is it worth it?
What kind of spark plugs are you guys running, and what are they gapped at?
Anybody got a good recommendation on a clutch?

The car runs pretty good for a 305, like I said I just want to get all I can out of it, without spending a whole lot of money, I would like to switch to an MSD 6al ignition amplifier eventually, but cant right now.

Any help you guys can give me is waaaay appreciated!
Thanx

Should work with all 90-92 cars provided it is a 305 5 speed car. Need to use the recommended 160 thermo as the hypertech will turn on main fan at 176 degrees. 350 Chip is programmed for larger injectors than yours , so may not run well. Stock coil is fine
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

Originally Posted by Abubaca
Search results: 350 chip in a 305
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/sear...archid=4265698

I have provided you all with water. Whether or not you drink is up to you.
Link don't work, but obiviously this is a dig at me.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 AM

It wasn't intended to be a dig at you. I know that I'm not always the final word on things, but I didn't think that a 350 chip in a 305 was a good idea. Instead of argue, I thought I would just provide other threads showing where people thought it wasn't a good idea as well.

I didn't intend it to be a dig at you or anyone else.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:46 PM

Abubaca, I know you weren't attacking me Just asking a lot of questions to get the best possible performance out of my IROC. I appreciate your answers, as well as, everyone elses. I must admit, I was a little bummed to hear that my car may have around 300hp instead of 400hp though. However, I didn't build the motor and I may be leaving things out, that I don't know about, so there is still hope! :P I need to ask more specifically what is in my motor from him. I have only gone to the drag strip 3 times and im still a little new to knowing how to race my car right. I got a 14.4 second quarter mile with my IROC, but some people there were saying I wasn't racing it right lol. I think my reaction time was at least over 1 second, infact, I think it was like 1.5. I am thinking that the main thing I should change is my rear end gears. They are 3.27 stock, and I am wanting to change them to 3.73 or maybe even as far as 4.10 because I intend on changing the transmission to a 6 speed manual in the future.

P.S. Im thinking of getting the 6 speed manual from like a 80s-90's corvette thats in a junk yard or something, think that would work?

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 PM

LordVabear, since this is someone elses post, I'm sending you a PM to help keep this on topic.