TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Start. Oil Pressure Switch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More
Hard Start. Oil Pressure Switch?

I've made like 3 posts on this same matter in the past, but I'll start this one today because I think I might be onto something.

What is the master route of power to the fuel pump? In other words, what is the last part that all power must travel through in order to reach the fuel pump? Is it the oil pressure switch or the fuel pump relay? Which overrides the other? I've noticed that from a cold start, my car is extremely difficult to start. If you manipulate the throttle very lightly I mean maybe blip it up and down to 15%, the car studders a couple times then fires right up. If you shut ti down when warm then try to restart it, it struggles for a second then comes to life. Feathering the throttle while cranking ALWAYS drastically decreases crank times which has me scratching my head. Please no one suggest the clear flood thing as this does not occur until about 80% at the TPS.

The sweet spot is if the car has been sitting about 2 hours since it was last started. When the key is turned to on, the fuel pump primes stronger than it does any other time and the car starts right away when you turn the key like it was brand new without any throttle input.

The thing that may hint me towards the oil pressure switch is a month ago we changed the oil in my car. Due to complications that night, we had to leave the car at my friends house and come back two days later to finish (Long story. Oil change wasn't the only thing we were trying to do). 2 days later, I come back and finish up. I turn the key prime the pump then go to start the engine. It fires up right away and this has NEVER happened before on a cold start, especially not after sitting for 2 days!

Additional info one might need to know is that the last time the car ran prior to this was 2 days before. We drained the oil and put new oil in, and due to me knocking a wire loose from the ignition module, we didn't get any spark that night when I tried to start the car. I cranked it several times for about 5 - 10 seconds each but of course it was getting no spark. Since it was 3AM, I decided to come back and finish the job another day. After I fixed the ignition module I went to start the car and this is the one and only time it fired up right away from a cold start. What does this mean?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 82 S10, 83 280ZX, 84 Z28
Engine: 355 smallblocks..na, 2.8 turbo
Transmission: 85:th350, 84:700R4
Axle/Gears: 85:ford9 4.85, 84:stock 3.24
Re: Hard Start. Oil Pressure Switch?

i highly recommend a chilton manual, not a haynes. have you looked at the cold start injector fuse? its a 3 amp. it also shows a cold start switch...
Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More

Originally Posted by skirkland1980
i highly recommend a chilton manual, not a haynes. have you looked at the cold start injector fuse? its a 3 amp. it also shows a cold start switch...
Skirkland, you clever SOB. I always wondered what the puny "CRK" fuse was for. I checked it for the first time just now and guess what, blown.

It does seem to start easier, but we won't know for sure until tomorrow. You see, my car has always had a tad bit of a struggle on warm starts since the day I bought it (I'll move onto that issue once I fix the one at hand). The cold start problem simply popped out of nowhere one day. We will have to wait until tomorrow when the engine is cold to get the final verdict.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

Originally Posted by FireDemonSiC
What is the master route of power to the fuel pump? Is it the oil pressure switch or the fuel pump relay? Which overrides the other?
Neither , they work in parallel.
OP switch is backup to relay
http://www.corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/l98.htm

Typical TPI pump wiring