TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem getting started

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 54 Chevy Sedan Delivery
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi
Re: problem getting started

Originally Posted by rrwebster
yes that is it... no wonder there isn't any speedometer cable on the car... but now I need to find that thingy to go into the trans.

btw I took a flashlight out and looked at those computer... you've got those model numbers exact!
couple of sites for you for info

http://www.fuelinjection.com/portinj.html

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/ecm_swap_730/

http://www.chevythunder.com/

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm ( speedo)

Last edited by witnlyn; 03-15-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt 3.27 posi

Well, I think you are barking up the wrong tree with VATS... I'd be checking the injectors like witnyln suggested.

You would only need a VATS bypass module if you were installing a VATS ECM into a non-VATS car... not the other way around.

Last edited by ternandes; 03-15-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:11 PM

Car: '78 GMC Sierra Heavy 1/2
Engine: GMPP ZZ4 Q-Jet
Transmission: 700R4 Stage 2 w/Race Internals
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3:42 Eaton

Concerning your Fuel Gauge.....

It may not be the case with your car, but everytime I have worked on a car with a pegged-over-full gauge, it has always been a bad Ground for the Sending Unit in the Tank.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:24 AM

Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by ternandes
Well, I think you are barking up the wrong tree with VATS... I'd be checking the injectors like witnyln suggested.

You would only need a VATS bypass module if you were installing a VATS ECM into a non-VATS car... not the other way around.
Exactly... When I got home and read the instructions that came with this... it says exactly that... I've got emails into Hawks and the mfg.... it tells me to put it on a pin on my ECM that I don't have because my ECM doesn't support VATS.

Last edited by rrwebster; 03-16-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:15 AM

Okay... Fuel injectors tested...

stuck a test light into each side of the injector wiring. #1 Cylinder

first checked the fuses... both okay.

second tested the test light.. was okay

cranked engine... nothing on the test light...even when the engine started for it's brief seconds...

Looked at my ECM Wires D15 and D16 they aren't the colors in the chart link you sent me...

now what?

Last edited by rrwebster; 03-16-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:34 AM

Okay... Fuel injectors tested...

stuck a test light into each side of the injector wiring. #1 Cylinder

first checked the fuses... both okay.

second tested the test light.. was okay

cranked engine... nothing on the test light...even when the engine started for it's brief seconds...

Looked at my ECS Wires D15 and D16 they aren't the colors in the chart link you sent me...

now what?

Looking in my 86 service manual pin d15 and d16 are the same for that year... but the wire colors are different

I probed both d15 and d16 when key off.... key on and crank...

I get 0 volts on either...

back to VATS ?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Supreme Member

The ECM controls injectors by providing a ground to the circuit. Therefore, when the key is in the RUN position, you should have power at those pins.

Are you using a meter or a test lamp to probe D15 and D16? First of all, your ECM should be disconnected when you do this. Otherwise you run the risk of damaging the ECM.

A meter should give you ~12V at both of those pins with ignition switch ON. A test light may glow, it may blink for a second at most, but may also give you nothing at all. That's because the test light allows current flow, and the resistance of the injectors will cause a voltage drop to where the light may be very dim or not illuminate at all.

On the other hand, a meter has close to an infinite resistance, so very little current flows and you get a fairly accurate STATIC voltage measurement.

If a meter shows 0V at D15 and D16, go back to your fuse panel and verify 12V going into and out of those fuses. The key must be in the RUN position for you to get a readout. In this case a light will be sufficient to check for power, although a meter will be more precise.

If you still get 0V, you need to troubleshoot your ignition circuit.

The first thing I would do in that case is to jump power to both of those fuses. If the car starts and runs longer than a few seconds, then I would bet you have an open ignition circuit.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

FYI, the VATS system normally interferes with cranking and the ECM. So even if you had a VATS issue, you would still have 12V at the injectors, but the ECM would not provide the ground.

IMO you have successfully eliminated your ECM and VATS as an issue, at least for the short term. Once the engine is running, you can verify correct ECM operation.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:00 AM

The ECM controls injectors by providing a ground to the circuit. Therefore, when the key is in the RUN position, you should have power at those pins.

Are you using a meter or a test lamp to probe D15 and D16? First of all, your ECM should be disconnected when you do this. Otherwise you run the risk of damaging the ECM.

A meter should give you ~12V at both of those pins with ignition switch ON. A test light may glow, it may blink for a second at most, but may also give you nothing at all. That's because the test light allows current flow, and the resistance of the injectors will cause a voltage drop to where the light may be very dim or not illuminate at all.

On the other hand, a meter has close to an infinite resistance, so very little current flows and you get a fairly accurate STATIC voltage measurement.

If a meter shows 0V at D15 and D16, go back to your fuse panel and verify 12V going into and out of those fuses. The key must be in the RUN position for you to get a readout. In this case a light will be sufficient to check for power, although a meter will be more precise.

If you still get 0V, you need to troubleshoot your ignition circuit.

The first thing I would do in that case is to jump power to both of those fuses. If the car starts and runs longer than a few seconds, then I would bet you have an open ignition circuit.
Using a meter for everything except the injector test.

I have 12V on both sides of both fuses.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:02 AM

My ECM is connected... I slide the probe down by the wire... if I disconnect it how would I get an accurate reading?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:19 AM
Supreme Member

With the key ON(RUN position), and the ECM unplugged, you will have ~12V at pins D15 and D16 if all is working as it should. No current is flowing, so you should see full potential using a volt meter.

As I said earlier, the test lamp may show nothing, because it needs current flow in order to work. A meter only needs potential (voltage) to give a reading. Again, with the voltmeter connected to a good ground, the connector off the ECM, and the positive probe of the voltmeter touching either pin D15 or D16, you should see ~12V. If you do, then your ECM may not be providing you with a ground to open the injectors. That takes us back to square one.

Take that reading, and then post results. Base on what you have posted thus far, I am hoping that you will tell me that you have 0V at those pins.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:32 AM

With the key ON(RUN position), and the ECM unplugged, you will have ~12V at pins D15 and D16 if all is working as it should. No current is flowing, so you should see full potential using a volt meter.

As I said earlier, the test lamp may show nothing, because it needs current flow in order to work. A meter only needs potential (voltage) to give a reading. Again, with the voltmeter connected to a good ground, the connector off the ECM, and the positive probe of the voltmeter touching either pin D15 or D16, you should see ~12V. If you do, then your ECM may not be providing you with a ground to open the injectors. That takes us back to square one.

Take that reading, and then post results. Base on what you have posted thus far, I am hoping that you will tell me that you have 0V at those pins.

0V on both D15 and D16 I checked that I did get a reading of another pin c16 and did 12.3volts

Where does the ECM ground and or the Fuel Injectors?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:43 AM

http://www.chevythunder.com/

this site has a few things you might be interested in... the ECM pinouts, TPI vacumn line layouts, etc...
Old 03-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Supreme Member

C16 is battery voltage at all times, and is connected to the power feed for your fuel pump, among other things.

That is actually good news. It means that your problem is in the wiring between the fuse panel and the injectors, specifically in a pink wire with black stripe.

Before you go crazy checking for broken wires, I recommend that you make sure that all harness connections are clean and tight. You may have simply overlooked a harness connection somewhere. Do a visual check starting from the injector harness, and work your way backwards.

One thing I would definitely check is where the new wiring harness was connected to the existing vehicle wiring. With the key in the RUN position, you should have 12V all along this wire, from the fuse panel to the injectors.

Keep probing at various points until you find two points, between which there will be an open or bad connection. In other words, work your way downstream until you lose your 12V signal. Fix the break, and your engine should start.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 AM

C16 is battery voltage at all times, and is connected to the power feed for your fuel pump, among other things.

That is actually good news. It means that your problem is in the wiring between the fuse panel and the injectors, specifically in a pink wire with black stripe.

Before you go crazy checking for broken wires, I recommend that you make sure that all harness connections are clean and tight. You may have simply overlooked a harness connection somewhere. Do a visual check starting from the injector harness, and work your way backwards.

One thing I would definitely check is where the new wiring harness was connected to the existing vehicle wiring. With the key in the RUN position, you should have 12V all along this wire, from the fuse panel to the injectors.

Keep probing at various points until you find two points, between which there will be an open or bad connection. In other words, work your way downstream until you lose your 12V signal. Fix the break, and your engine should start.
Kewl... I think sounds like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack....

btw with the link above I found that b6 is for VATS... I don't have a wire there so it's impossible for VATS to come into play... right?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:08 AM

okay I think I already know whats wrong...

the chunk of wires that I fed through the fender into where the ECM is there is one connector that I have nothing to plug it into.

it has 3 wires in it... I'll go take a picture of it.

the two things not working are

injectors pink black

fuel pump tan/white

the three wires on this connector are two pink/black and 1 tan/white...

I've looked and look for where it plugs in but can't find it...

picture in a minute...
Old 03-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

OK first, you are very close to solving your problem. This type of troubleshooting works by eliminating all possible problems until you have just one left. You are almost there.

Second, here's how VATS works:

The ignition key has a resistor embedded in it. When you insert the key in the lock, there are two little wires that connect with leaf contacts to either 'end' of the resistance. This bridges an open circuit in the VATS module with the key resistance value, of which there are 15 possible.

If the correct resistance is read, within a certain range of tolerance, the module enables the starter cranking circuit. It also sends a 5V square wave signal at either 30 or 40Hz to that pin on the ECM. The ECM reads the signal, and if it is correct, it turns off the SECURITY light and enables the fuel injector circuit.

So, if your ECM is not looking for a VATS signal, it won't care if there isn't one.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

the chunk of wires that I fed through the fender into where the ECM is there is one connector that I have nothing to plug it into.

injectors pink black

fuel pump tan/white

picture in a minute...
Congratulations, grasshopper... you have found your problem. There will be two of the pink/black wires (one for each bank of injectors) and one tan/white wire to the fuel pump.

You need to find the corresponding connector on the car's harness... is it possible that this one connector should not have passed through the firewall? Or is that the only way it can go? I am wondering if it needs to connect in the engine compartment.

Last edited by ternandes; 03-16-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:16 AM

injectors pink black

fuel pump tan/white

picture in a minute...

here are some pictures of this connector... you know its been bugging me that I didn't have a place to plug it into..
Attached Thumbnails problem getting started-cimg1561.jpg   problem getting started-cimg1558.jpg   problem getting started-cimg1556.jpg  
Old 03-16-2010, 11:18 AM

Congratulations, grasshopper... you have found your problem. There will be two of the pink/black wires (one for each bank of injectors) and one tan/white wire to the fuel pump.

You need to find the corresponding connector on the car's harness... and I am thinking that it might be in the engine compartment somewhere along the firewall.

the wire from the harness is too short (I think) for it to be in the engine compartment...however I've never really looked in the engine compartment.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

Well, it looks a lot like it belongs under the dash... you need to get under there and hunt down its mate. Connect 'er up, and I think your car will roar to life.

I have never had this part of any of my cars apart; therefore I really don't know where it is, so be thorough in your search.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:29 AM

Well, it looks a lot like it belongs under the dash... you need to get under there and hunt down its mate. Connect 'er up, and I think your car will roar to life.

I have never had this part of any of my cars apart; therefore I really don't know where it is, so be thorough in your search.
I've looked (off and on) for a week now. I've taken averything apart that I possibly can and can't find the other end. the tan/white part should have been a clue for me and my original problem of not having power to the rear fuel pump connector.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 AM

I've got an 85 trans, and 86 trans and an 86 Z28 will explore those for this rascal...
Old 03-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

good idea... I am not anywhere near any of mine, and that's what I was gonna do... should be easy to see whether or not it belongs inside the passenger compartment... then from there, hopefully, you'll find it.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:45 AM

good idea... I am not anywhere near any of mine, and that's what I was gonna do... should be easy to see whether or not it belongs inside the passenger compartment... then from there, hopefully, you'll find it.
none of my other three cars have that connector on the wiring harness. I measured the wire on the connector... it has to be inside the car itself... but there isn't anyplace to hook it to... must have been a 1987 only thing...

I'm going to jumper the tan/white one to see if that gets my fuel pump to run normal.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

One of mine is an 87, but it's a V6. I imagine that part of the wiring would be the same, though.

Why not jump all three to RUN? The car should start. Then you could take it from there.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

Whoa, I just thought of something: Putting 12V to the tan/white will probably not help. Put a test light on that wire and turn the key to RUN. I am guessing that you'll get about 3 seconds of power. That means that you need to put power to the missing connector to get your pump running.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:53 AM

One of mine is an 87, but it's a V6. I imagine that part of the wiring would be the same, though.

Why not jump all three to RUN? The car should start. Then you could take it from there.

Run meaning 12V when the key is on?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Supreme Member

see above post, but yes. If you jump 12V to the pump at the rear connector like you did before, and then jump 12V to those two pink/black wires, I believe your engine will run. You need to find that connector.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:56 AM

Whoa, I just thought of something: Putting 12V to the tan/white will probably not help. Put a test light on that wire and turn the key to RUN. I am guessing that you'll get about 3 seconds of power. That means that you need to put power to the missing connector to get your pump running.
yeah I tried putting 12v to tan/white... nothing... tried to see it they (the plug and the back plug were the same wire... they aren't...
Old 03-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Supreme Member

Or else you need to run new wires to the fuse panel and back to the pump... but I'd rather see you locate that connector. Unless, of course, they did things differently in '88.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

yeah I tried putting 12v to tan/white... nothing... tried to see it they (the plug and the back plug were the same wire... they aren't...
No, they wouldn't be, since that connector is from the wiring harness that you just installed.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Supreme Member

I have a suggestion:

Go to your fuse panel, and try to follow the pink/black wires from the INJ fuses... it will at least give you some idea of the direction to follow.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:13 PM

I have a suggestion:

Go to your fuse panel, and try to follow the pink/black wires from the INJ fuses... it will at least give you some idea of the direction to follow.
Yes it runs!!! not the greatest but I know there are some vacumn lines yet to be connected.

Last week I attempted tracing the tan/white from the back to the front and lost it in a huge bunch of wires head toward the ECM from the fuse block... somehow there is a way to get back there... I'll figure it out.

Hey can't thank you enough for hanging in here with a TPI novice!!!!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

Don't even mention it... I am not much more than a novice myself with TPI... still learning a lot.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

Did you find the plug, or just jumper power to the wires?

Oops, never mind, I just saw that you said you would eventually find the plug.

Last edited by ternandes; 03-16-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Didn't read previous post carefully
Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 PM

Did you find the plug, or just jumper power to the wires?

Oops, never mind, I just saw that you said you would eventually find the plug.
years ago...to set the timing you had to remove a vacumn line... do you have to do anything special with these?

if I don't find that plug I will just have to hard wire it from the fuses...
Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Supreme Member

years ago...to set the timing you had to remove a vacumn line... do you have to do anything special with these?

if I don't find that plug I will just have to hard wire it from the fuses...

Yes, you have to unplug the EST (Electronic Spark Timing) connector. It is a tan wire with a black stripe. The connector is near the heater box... otherwise the ECM will compensate as you adjust.

You can run new wires to the pink/black wires from the fuse panel, or at a convenient point coming out of it... and then you'll need to run another wire from the fuel pump connector (or a convenient place on that wire) to the tan/white wire on your orphan connector.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Supreme Member

You will want to warm the engine up if you can, so that everything is at 'normal' before you try to adjust the timing.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:46 PM

congrats on your achievement was wondering if that might of been the problem when I wanted you to test injectors.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:27 AM

Yes, you have to unplug the EST (Electronic Spark Timing) connector. It is a tan wire with a black stripe. The connector is near the heater box... otherwise the ECM will compensate as you adjust.

You can run new wires to the pink/black wires from the fuse panel, or at a convenient point coming out of it... and then you'll need to run another wire from the fuel pump connector (or a convenient place on that wire) to the tan/white wire on your orphan connector.
Just to be certain... this wire run outside a bunch of others that are inside a wire runner and has a quick disconnect... true?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member

Sounds right. It should be in plain sight.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:04 AM

Kewl! Thanks again for all your help!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 AM
Supreme Member

No problem.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:55 PM

none of my other three cars have that connector on the wiring harness. I measured the wire on the connector... it has to be inside the car itself... but there isn't anyplace to hook it to... must have been a 1987 only thing...

I'm going to jumper the tan/white one to see if that gets my fuel pump to run normal.
I wonder if fixing this will also take care of your pegged fuel gauge
Old 03-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Supreme Member

I doubt that. The fuel gauge problem is more likely because he has deposits built up on the 'wiper' inside the sending unit. If the fuel pump problem was also causing the gauge problem, the gauge would probably read normally when he jumps power to the pump.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:02 PM

He stated in his original post that his gauge sits way past full always
That tells me it's not grounded, you see where I was going with the thought
Old 03-21-2010, 02:10 PM

actually I'm holding ff on doing anything to the sending unit until I get the wiring straight... cause I kinda think that it might fix the guage.

I'll have my service manual tomorrow for the GTA.... just need the pinouts for an 87 IROC to see if there are any differances, have compared everything else and so far nothing too much different mostly wire color changes... did drive it the other day... not too impressed with the 700r4 but the engine sounds sweet.

still running extremely rough... doesn't seem to charge, cooling fans don't come on... I have lots more to work on.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:27 PM

just found the pinouts for c207 on austinthirdgen!!! yeah!
Old 03-21-2010, 09:12 PM

could be that PO cut the connector off if he took out engine and wiring before you bought it .

Quick Reply: problem getting started