TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 TPI will not idle runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 TPI will not idle runs rough

I recently purchased a factory yellow 87 IROC-Z. It has been sitting in a barn for the last 10 years. I installed a new fuel pump and control module and got it running but the tranny was shot. While I was having the tranny rebuilt I had the guys throw it on the computer and tell me why the check engine light was on. It had several issues. Long story short. It started running very rough while still at the tranny shop. I have replaced the computer, fuel tank and fuel pump again, injectors, and distributor, I also installed a holley thorttle body and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. The car will crank very easy but it runs great for around 2 seconds then it sounds like it is hitting on only a couple of cylinders and it is back fring through the exhaust and the intake. Wires are right and the timing is very close but not set cause I cant get it to run long enough. The fuel pressure is 40psi and it is maintaining pressure good. I can tell you this. After I replaced everything I fired it up and it ran great. I got out of the car to look under the hood and gas was going everywhere. I realized that the fuel rails I had did not have the quick connect istalled so I removed the one from my old fuel rails and installed it. I did let it sit for a while so the gas would dry but after that it never ran right again. I have checked everything I know to check with no luck. Im just wondering if the fuel pressure is to high?? Does anyone have any imput...
Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 IROC - 85 Z28
Engine: 350 / 305
Transmission: 700R4 / T5
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: 87 TPI will not idle runs rough

Welcome to Third Gen. Start out by finding a good factory repair manual and follow the troubleshooting guides. I finally found one and it is a godsend. Buy a vaccuum gauge and test it. Did you replace alll the vaccuum lines? Fuel pressure sounds good.