TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start after adding new gas HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1987 Firebird Formula
Engine: 2004 LQ4
Transmission: T-5 WC
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Car won't start after adding new gas HELP!

Hey guys, we just got an 88 Iroc, 305 TPI automatic. It had been sitting a few years, but ran when we got it yesterday, and this morning. It did have a rough idle for a little while after starting it, but it eventually smoothed out, I blamed it on bad gas. So we added some 89 Octane and I took it for a spin around the property go get some new gas in the motor.

I parked it after getting it up to temperature and came back a few hours later, I keyed it, but nothing, it cranks, I smell gas, but it almost seems like something is preventing it from starting. Any ideas on what to check first? I can hear the fuel pump pressurizing, too.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 T/A
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: Car won't start after adding new gas HELP!

Is there pressure at the rail? Sounds like the pump or filter/fuel system. Im a nOOb tho. Still learnin'
Is it firing at all? Did you try spraying some juice in there? From sitting it could have built up some sediment and that got knocked around from adding fuel and driving it like a madman.(I kid)

You'll get her going man....sucks it happened so soon. Im sure its a simple fix. Can your buddy in Harrow help out?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:24 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86sdubzzT/A
Is there pressure at the rail? Sounds like the pump or filter/fuel system. Im a nOOb tho. Still learnin'
Is it firing at all? Did you try spraying some juice in there? From sitting it could have built up some sediment and that got knocked around from adding fuel and driving it like a madman.(I kid)

You'll get her going man....sucks it happened so soon. Im sure its a simple fix. Can your buddy in Harrow help out?
I had an epiphany while I was taking a shower..

Because I had ran the car up to temperature, and from it sitting for a while I figured it was an ignition problem.. Maybe the inside of the distributor is corroded, and has a bit of moisture from sitting. The fuel filter is also going to be changed (First thing I do when I bring a used car home BTW) But no doubt, this thing needs a tune up... It shakes for a good 2 minutes before the idle smooths out upon first firing it up.

I can also smell fuel when cranking it, hence the beliefs of an ignition problem.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 6.7 Powerstroke

Fuel pressure regulator?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Supreme Member

Started it up this morning, and it runs fine again.. I'm leaning toward ignition problem.