TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning question ... for tuners of tpi / obd2 application

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 GMC SIERRA
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
tuning question ... for tuners of tpi / obd2 application

I have a 1991 pickup with stock 350 TBI and 220k miles on it, I am second owner. It runs excellent, very strong, and thinking it has been refreshened up at some point because the engine neither burns nor leaks oil, none. But, the stock TBI is starting to pitch a fit now and again, and fuel economy is lower than I'd like. So, I'm thinking about going with TPI on the stock 350, which is extremely mild with 200hp. Once I get TPI working on the cheap, I'll drive it until the engine fails, which may be a while as I don't drive it more than 6k miles per year, and it is very strong once warmed up.

Do you think that if I used the Express Van tune with the 411 PCM and all the vortec parts with the TPI that I'd be close enough to being at least as efficient as the TBI unit without a tune? Seems like all those sensors would pick up on the lower fuel requirements of my extremely mild 350. I'd ask for alot of the sensors to be turned off, including:

- Eliminate VATS (vehicle anti-theft system) - RearO2 Sensors Delete
- Axle Ratio Changed
- Tire Size Changed

- EGR Deleted
- Air Pump Deleted
- Fuel Tank Pressure Sensors Delete
- MAF delete

After all that, do you think I'd still be able to crank it right up, and still get at least as much efficiency if not more than the TBI, as long as I do everything else correctly?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: tuning question ... for tuners of tpi / obd2 application

Originally Posted by jamespeek
Do you think that if I used the Express Van tune with the 411 PCM and all the vortec parts with the TPI that I'd be close enough to being at least as efficient as the TBI unit without a tune?
I think you'll need a custom tune. The best solution is to work with a local tuner.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 GMC SIERRA
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: tuning question ... for tuners of tpi / obd2 application

ok. i suppose i'll try to find a tuner, but i'm in BFE. i'll just hold my breath, strap on the tpi, and hope that it will at least be drivable enough to drive it to a tuner. i'll be visiting eficonnection.com for the ls1 connectors to mod my stock tpi sd harness. if i fail, the worst that will happen is i'll be driving a 1993 mercury villager until i fix what i FUBAR'd. thanks again