TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car shut off while driving, now has weird idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91' Trans Am 1le
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42
car shut off while driving, now has weird idle

About 3 months ago I put a new engine in my '91 Trans Am. I swapped it from the factory 305 tpi to a 350 tpi I was having some similar issues when i first got the car running and it was throwing a knock sensor code. I replaced the knock sensor and all was well, I drove the car an 1hr. and 15min. each to work everyday and never had a problem with it untill about 3 weeks ago.

My girlfriend and I were on our way to Orlando to check out some apartments cause we're moving there soon. The car drove fine for most of the trip then about an 1hr and 1/2 into the drive the car started to loose throttle response and eventually made no power at all, unfortunately at this point in the trip the car broke down on a major toll road in the middle of down town Orlando. The car wouldn't start back up again. I did what I could being on the side of the road with no tools to check spark and fuel. From what I gathered everything was working. I finally rest set the ECM and it started back up again. It idled fine I figured it just had a hick up and would be ok....I was wrong just a few minutes later I had the same problem. The problem continued all day long and I letting the car cool down (although it wasn't over heating)and reset the ecm to get the car working again only to get about 2 miles down the road and everything starting over again. I tryed to pull the codes on the car using a bobby pin and its not throwing any codes.

Finally around 6 o'clock or so I was able to get the car to a friends house who lives in Orlando and conviently enough works at Advanced Auto. After looking at it for abit he thinks that the ignition module is bad. Luckily the module that was in my car came from Advanced so he was able to swap it out, we also picked up a fuel pressure gauge while there. We go back to his house and check the fuel pressure which showed to be ok (about 35 psi at idle). We then swap the ignition module and take the car for a 30min drive and all seems to be working fine. After having a bad day I go back to my friends house and tell my girlfriend I'll make it up to her by taking her out to a nice diner. When we go to leave the car wouldn't start up. I check and fix a disconnected vacuum, and check the rest for any other leaks. I start the car up and this time the idle is different although it still idles constently at 900 rpm it has a lope to it like I have a huge cam in it.

I decided to drive the car anyways, we get about 3 miles down the road and its dies again this time in the middle of one of the busiest intersections in Orlando...and guess what I'm in the fast lane can't get over to either side due to traffic in the slower lanes and the median is blocked off by construction barriers. The car will not start at all now I have to wait for my friend to get there and tow me to a near by parking lot after messing with it for about 45 minutes I get p'd off and let it sit untill the next day.

The next day I replace the distributor and coil with no luck. When I did the motor swap 3 months ago I put in a new cap and rotor, new spark plugs, wires, thermostat, fuel filter, and 350 injectors i also have a adjustable fpr and adjusted it for the new injectors. The fuel pump is still turning on I replaced that about a year ago with a walbro 255. A few years ago I took off all the egr and emissions off the car and still keep it that way with the motor swap. I've spoke to a few people and most think its either a coolent temp. sensor or the ecm (which is still the one for the 305).

I was messing with the car today and noticed that the plenum is getting extremely hot, I think that this could be whats causing the car to shut off but what could cause it to get really hot. Sorry this post is so wordy but I wanted to give the best description possible.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Trans Am
Engine: 355 TPI
Transmission: Built T-5
Re: car shut off while driving, now has weird idle

it actually sounds like a possible ecm issue