TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008 | 07:21 AM

2 questions

1. Which year throttle bodies can I use on my '87 Corvette???

2. How can i take apart my '87 Throttle body so I can powder coat it?
Old 12-27-2008 | 08:06 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: 2 questions

why waste your time. if you are going to take the stock system off put on a MAP tpi not a maf.
and how to take it apart? get a screwdriver and start taking it apart.
for a start try going to pepboys and picking up a manual - even the cheap ones will show how to rebuild a tbi. try one from the camaro for 87 to 92 - it will show it.
Old 12-27-2008 | 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by tony_cogliandro
why waste your time. if you are going to take the stock system off put on a MAP tpi not a maf.
and how to take it apart? get a screwdriver and start taking it apart.
for a start try going to pepboys and picking up a manual - even the cheap ones will show how to rebuild a tbi. try one from the camaro for 87 to 92 - it will show it.

what are the benefits of the MAP TPI?

When I was running Mustangs, you didn't go to a MAP system until the MAF became a restriction since the MAP is so much faster and accurate.

also, if you look at your throttle body, the plates are screwed in with atorx and then crushed so they can't be taken out, the linkage looks like the rod is put through the body, and then the piece that operates the TPS looks like it is permanently put on would have to be cut off.

I heve seen people who say they have stock throttle bodies that have been bored with bigger butterfly plates, just wondering how they do that.
Old 12-27-2008 | 08:29 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1990
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock

the maf is the order tech. maf is mass air flow and the computer changes setting based on the amount of air going into the system at the air intake.
the map is manifold air pressure and uses pressure in the manifold.
they quit making maf's in 1989, i think. that is it in a thumb nail, so run a search on this board to find the pro's and cons. you can find both for sale for about 500.00 - and that is everything. hardware, wires, computer, injectors, distributor. you will need to reprogram the chip and probably replace the used injectors. if you get a maf system make sure that the sensor that measures flow is part of it. they break becasue its a hot wire that determines the abount of air the system is taking in.
Old 12-27-2008 | 08:35 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: TPIS II Supercharged w/Nitrous
Transmission: 700R4 Probuilt
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Richmond 12 Bolt

The throttle bodies are almost identical from the Camaro, Firebird an the Vette except where the linkage hooks up. You will not be able to use a Camaro or Firebird linkage on a Vette unless you change the butterfly shaft..
As far as the TPS goes, They are all removable as they are adjustable. They need to be set by either using your ALDL port and a scan tool or a multimeter and ohming I believe Pins A-B or A-C. I can't remember which. .54 at idle and over 5.0 at WOT.

Swappng from a MAF to a MAP requires repinning your ECM to accomodate for this. You must get another ECM 1227730 ecm and get rid of the 165 MAF ecm and put a new EPROM in usually a AUJP chip. If you are not making major engine changes, don't get rid of the MAF. If is 100% more accurate and able to adapt with minor engine modifications. If you went stupid like I did with major engine mods then you need to repin and get ready for the long haul. I have most of that information in my binder. And swapping to a MAP sensor will most likely mean that you have will have to burn your own proms to get your engine running 100%.
Old 12-27-2008 | 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by tony_cogliandro
the maf is the order tech. maf is mass air flow and the computer changes setting based on the amount of air going into the system at the air intake.
the map is manifold air pressure and uses pressure in the manifold.
they quit making maf's in 1989, i think. that is it in a thumb nail, so run a search on this board to find the pro's and cons. you can find both for sale for about 500.00 - and that is everything. hardware, wires, computer, injectors, distributor. you will need to reprogram the chip and probably replace the used injectors. if you get a maf system make sure that the sensor that measures flow is part of it. they break becasue its a hot wire that determines the abount of air the system is taking in.
You got it backwards, most cars went to MAF after 1989, bu most still used the MAP for a reference.

I have been a Master Certified tech for 20 years so i still remember when they changed over.
Old 12-27-2008 | 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by ibmtech
The throttle bodies are almost identical from the Camaro, Firebird an the Vette except where the linkage hooks up. You will not be able to use a Camaro or Firebird linkage on a Vette unless you change the butterfly shaft..
As far as the TPS goes, They are all removable as they are adjustable. They need to be set by either using your ALDL port and a scan tool or a multimeter and ohming I believe Pins A-B or A-C. I can't remember which. .54 at idle and over 5.0 at WOT.

Swappng from a MAF to a MAP requires repinning your ECM to accomodate for this. You must get another ECM 1227730 ecm and get rid of the 165 MAF ecm and put a new EPROM in usually a AUJP chip. If you are not making major engine changes, don't get rid of the MAF. If is 100% more accurate and able to adapt with minor engine modifications. If you went stupid like I did with major engine mods then you need to repin and get ready for the long haul. I have most of that information in my binder. And swapping to a MAP sensor will most likely mean that you have will have to burn your own proms to get your engine running 100%.

That's my question...HOW do you take out the butterfly shaft?????
Old 12-27-2008 | 09:28 AM
Supreme Member

My 85 & 87 IROC were both a MAF system. On the F-Bodies they did stop using the MAF and converted to MAP in roughly 89. You could not use a 1227730 ECM in 87 because that is when the VATS system came out. Vats was an automatic option in Late 80's and early 90's. The 7730 ecm was only MAP run. MAF was always more accurate and is preferred for minor engine mods.

The butterfly shaft can was can be removed when you remove both butterfly's. Remove the TPS and on the end of the Shaft you will have to remove the shaft press. Most people grind this off. Only then can you take the shaft out. You might have to do a little research on this. I think the GTA might have the same T/B. Somewhere I might have a Corvette T/B laying around if you are interested. I would to look around for it though. It has been sitting for about 8 years.
Old 12-27-2008 | 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by ibmtech
My 85 & 87 IROC were both a MAF system. On the F-Bodies they did stop using the MAF and converted to MAP in roughly 89. You could not use a 1227730 ECM in 87 because that is when the VATS system came out. Vats was an automatic option in Late 80's and early 90's. The 7730 ecm was only MAP run. MAF was always more accurate and is preferred for minor engine mods.

The butterfly shaft can was can be removed when you remove both butterfly's. Remove the TPS and on the end of the Shaft you will have to remove the shaft press. Most people grind this off. Only then can you take the shaft out. You might have to do a little research on this. I think the GTA might have the same T/B. Somewhere I might have a Corvette T/B laying around if you are interested. I would to look around for it though. It has been sitting for about 8 years.
definitely interested in getting an extra t-body

I was wondering how you attach the piece that contacts the tp sensor when you put it back together
Old 12-27-2008 | 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by alecracing
That's my question...HOW do you take out the butterfly shaft?????
let me restate that...how do you attach the piece on the rod for the tp sensor during reassembly?
Old 12-27-2008 | 12:20 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by alecracing
You got it backwards, most cars went to MAF after 1989, bu most still used the MAP for a reference.

I have been a Master Certified tech for 20 years so i still remember when they changed over.
Wrong. 1985 - 1989 TPI Camaro and Firebird cars were ALL maf. They switched to map or speed density from 90-92, there was no maf sensors on 90-92 cars period. Just to clear up the confusion.
Old 12-27-2008 | 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by AaronIROCZ
Wrong. 1985 - 1989 TPI Camaro and Firebird cars were ALL maf. They switched to map or speed density from 90-92, there was no maf sensors on 90-92 cars period. Just to clear up the confusion.
I stand corrected

I was a Ford tech...they used speed ensity until 1989 when they went to MAF, which is what they have been using ever since.

If you built a Ford big enough back then, the MAF became a restriction and you would have to go to speed density
Old 12-27-2008 | 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

I will look around starting tomorrow and see if I can find the Vette T/B. The TPS only uses 2 torque screws to attach to the T/B. The TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor uses the Butterfly shaft as a point of adjustment. I will take try to take pics tomorrow and post for you.
Old 12-31-2008 | 07:16 AM