TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injector Swap/No Fuel Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc Convert
Engine: 305
Transmission: t-5
Injector Swap/No Fuel Pressure

I am just finishing up replacing a set of injectors in my 89 IROC (5.0/TPI). I did this based on the car running rough (missing...like it was starved for fuel). Prior to this, I replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor, installed a rebuilt distributor, tuned/timed (fuel filter, plugs, wires, coil).
I did the injector swap following directions from a tech article on this site https://www.thirdgen.org/injectorswap (good article...very helpful). I have installed the runners and decided to check for fuel leaks before I installed the plenums. I put a fuel pressure guage on, connected the battery and turned the ignition on...nothing..no fuel pressure. I disconnected the fuel supply, then the return lines then tried again and a low trickle of fuel flows from the supply line. Are there any switches/lines, etc that have to be connected on intake system for the fuel pump to work? I still haven't reconnected most of the wires/connections I took off for the swap.
I have heard that there is some sort of fuel return line in the fuel tank and that if it is leaking fuel will return back into the tank and thereby...no fuel pressure. By the way, I also had the fuel pump replaced (when I did the tune up).
Has anyone encountered this problem. Assuming that the fuel pump is good, where do I start?
I am really considering swapping this over to a carb system but am unsure of the emissions implications in the state I live in CT...recently moved here from California and haven't registered the car yet.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-02-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '87 IROC/'68 SS
Engine: 5.7L/350
Transmission: 700R4/Muncie 4-spd
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt / 3.31 12 bolt
Re: Injector Swap/No Fuel Pressure

It should have FP. Are the injectors plugged in? Don't dump the TPI, it's much better than a carb when it's working. Did the gauge your using register FP before the swap? Do you hear the pump run for a second when you turn the key?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:02 PM

Car: '92 RS
Engine: 350 carb'd
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 4.10

Check the Fuel Pump fuse over by the battery. Is the pump coming on?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 PM

Car: 89 iroc
Engine: l98
Transmission: tremec

Originally Posted by kpkeenejr
I am just finishing up replacing a set of injectors in my 89 IROC (5.0/TPI). I did this based on the car running rough (missing...like it was starved for fuel). Prior to this, I replaced the Mass Airflow Sensor, installed a rebuilt distributor, tuned/timed (fuel filter, plugs, wires, coil).
I did the injector swap following directions from a tech article on this site https://www.thirdgen.org/injectorswap (good article...very helpful). I have installed the runners and decided to check for fuel leaks before I installed the plenums. I put a fuel pressure guage on, connected the battery and turned the ignition on...nothing..no fuel pressure. I disconnected the fuel supply, then the return lines then tried again and a low trickle of fuel flows from the supply line. Are there any switches/lines, etc that have to be connected on intake system for the fuel pump to work? I still haven't reconnected most of the wires/connections I took off for the swap.
I have heard that there is some sort of fuel return line in the fuel tank and that if it is leaking fuel will return back into the tank and thereby...no fuel pressure. By the way, I also had the fuel pump replaced (when I did the tune up).
Has anyone encountered this problem. Assuming that the fuel pump is good, where do I start?
I am really considering swapping this over to a carb system but am unsure of the emissions implications in the state I live in CT...recently moved here from California and haven't registered the car yet.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
ARE YOU SURE YOU HAVE THE PRESSURE LINE ON THE INLET SIDE OF THE RAIL. IF YOU TRY TO PUT PRESSURE TO THE WRONG SIDE IT WON'T WORK.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:15 PM

Car: 1989 Iroc Convert
Engine: 305
Transmission: t-5

The injectors are plugged in. I don't believe that the pump is coming on...don't hear anything when I turn the key on. The car ran (rough) before I pulled the injectors/TPI system off though, so I had to have some pressure? Yes, I am begining to believe that the whole issue was fuel pressure from the begining....maybe didn't need to replace the injectors.
There are 2 relays above the battery. One is on the passenger fender side and one is towards the front of the car? Are either of these two the fuel pump relay? Is there also a fuse to check?
Old 11-09-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '87 IROC/'68 SS
Engine: 5.7L/350
Transmission: 700R4/Muncie 4-spd
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt / 3.31 12 bolt

If it's the same as my '87, the fuse is beside the battery (by itself, in-line) and it's the relay in the middle by the brake booster.