TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

seriously need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87' Trans Am GTA, 88' Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
seriously need help

its my daily driver and it cant be driven. I have an 88 gta with a 350. I put in new injectors and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I set the pressure to 40 at idle. Before i put the new stuff in it had problems from idle to 3k.

I took the car for a t/d yesterday and it was idleing great. I was just cruising till i felt comfortable with it. Then i tried going WOT. It went from 0-40 in about 20 seconds. There was absolutely no power. Half a ******** maybe, but almost no *****.

Then i let it sit for an hour or two and i went back out to start it, and it wont even idle. On its own, it turns over, runs for about 2 seconds, then dies. If you turn it over and play with the throttle you can fight with it to keep it running, but as soon as you stop it dies.

I'm gettin pretty worried. Any help thoughts ideas whatever would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 09:27 AM

Re: seriously need help

just went out and started it and it stayed running on its own, but it was backfiring like crazy out of what seemed to be cylinder 8 and i noticed a smell so i walked around back and theres white smoke comin out the tail pipe. Looked under the car and theres all kind of oil leaking from the header collectors, the i-pipe clamp, and theres white smoke coming from the flanges on the cat.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Trans Am, 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 400 SBC, H.O. 305
Transmission: TH400, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt/3.73s, 10 Bolt/3.73s

Originally Posted by t/agta
its my daily driver and it cant be driven. I have an 88 gta with a 350. I put in new injectors and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I set the pressure to 40 at idle. Before i put the new stuff in it had problems from idle to 3k.

I took the car for a t/d yesterday and it was idleing great. I was just cruising till i felt comfortable with it. Then i tried going WOT. It went from 0-40 in about 20 seconds. There was absolutely no power. Half a ******** maybe, but almost no *****.

Then i let it sit for an hour or two and i went back out to start it, and it wont even idle. On its own, it turns over, runs for about 2 seconds, then dies. If you turn it over and play with the throttle you can fight with it to keep it running, but as soon as you stop it dies.

I'm gettin pretty worried. Any help thoughts ideas whatever would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks
My car was doing something similar when I replaced my Plugs & Wires, turned out 2 or 3 of them got burnt. Replaced them and its ran fine since. Im not sure what could be causing your car to do this.

just went out and started it and it stayed running on its own, but it was backfiring like crazy out of what seemed to be cylinder 8 and i noticed a smell so i walked around back and theres white smoke comin out the tail pipe. Looked under the car and theres all kind of oil leaking from the header collectors, the i-pipe clamp, and theres white smoke coming from the flanges on the cat.
I cant help you here, I hav no idea. Hopefully someone else can..
Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 375 Likes on 303 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

well start by going over ignition and timing.

what injectors did you put into this car? what is your fuel pressure set at?

sounds like it may be too rich now and thats causing the hot restart problems
Old 08-16-2008, 10:15 PM

they're lt1 inectors. pressure is set at 42 now. pulled all the plugs and they look fine. Timing is correct. At this point i'm not that worried about any of that. Did i blow my heads?!?!
Old 08-16-2008, 10:57 PM

Car: Stock 1991 B4C Camaro
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73

Its a long shot but check the gaskets on the runners. You may have them on the wrong side. Ive seen it once before and it causes the car to act like timing is out of wack.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by B4Camaro91
Its a long shot but check the gaskets on the runners. You may have them on the wrong side. Ive seen it once before and it causes the car to act like timing is out of wack.
nah i made sure i put em on right. The last thing i wanted was to have to take it apart again. Looks like i might end up having to take even more apart.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

if its not tuned for 24lb injectors which i believe are LT1 injectors then its gonna be a tad rich but i dont think it will make it run like its running.

Could it be a bad o2 sensor? hows the MAF sensor and relays? hot restart problems sounds like a fuel issue of some sort which relates to MAF and injectors.

also maybe a whacky ecm. Are you sure the LT1 injectors you have are in good condition? did you try to ohm them out to see what resistance they have in there?
Old 08-16-2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
if its not tuned for 24lb injectors which i believe are LT1 injectors then its gonna be a tad rich but i dont think it will make it run like its running.

Could it be a bad o2 sensor? hows the MAF sensor and relays? hot restart problems sounds like a fuel issue of some sort which relates to MAF and injectors.

also maybe a whacky ecm. Are you sure the LT1 injectors you have are in good condition? did you try to ohm them out to see what resistance they have in there?

ya they're 24s but tons of people are using 24s untuned and they're doing fine. I was gonna burn a chip for it anyways. o2 sensor is new, maf stuff is new and all the injectors were tested and ohm'd prefectly. I'm so lost. Getting really worried/frustrated
Old 08-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

where do you live exactly? i'm from around this pittsburgh area too maybe i could assist you

also being a rebuilt motor, is there a cam in it? Any head work or non stock heads of some sort?

what problems were you having before, before the new lt1 injectors
Old 08-17-2008, 01:01 AM

Car: 89 iroc
Engine: l98
Transmission: tremec

ya they're 24s but tons of people are using 24s untuned and they're doing fine. I was gonna burn a chip for it anyways. o2 sensor is new, maf stuff is new and all the injectors were tested and ohm'd prefectly. I'm so lost. Getting really worried/frustrated
those injectors HAVE to be ohm tested hot.. not cold.. they are the junk multecs i presume.

test them hot
Old 08-17-2008, 06:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 GTA/ 00 TA
Engine: 383/350
Transmission: 700R4/T-56

Let's get back to the "leaking". That is more than likely most of the partial ******** issue.
Have you tried finding out what's leaking and from where? You say oil but oil doesn't burn white.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Viprklr
Let's get back to the "leaking". That is more than likely most of the partial ******** issue.
Have you tried finding out what's leaking and from where? You say oil but oil doesn't burn white.

ya thats what confusing the hell out of me. Maybe i'm color blind. It doesnt smell like coolant. And there is deffinately without a doubt oil in the exhaust. Every non steel crush gasket blew during that test drive. Its leaking from the driver side header collector, and i noticed a little seeping out of the header gasket. Also looked like there was a drip coming from one of the welds in the custom y. Maybe that was just because of my friends crappy welding ability. lol

And i cant tell if this is just an exhaust leak from the blown header gasket or not, but it kinda sounds like i loud tapping sound coming from the passanger side valve cover. kinda like loud piston slap.
----------
Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
where do you live exactly? i'm from around this pittsburgh area too maybe i could assist you

also being a rebuilt motor, is there a cam in it? Any head work or non stock heads of some sort?

what problems were you having before, before the new lt1 injectors

I live in etna. 15223

i dont know about the cam and heads. Its bored .30 thats all he could tell me.

Before the new injectors, It would bog like crazy from idle to 3k, it would stall on me all the time, and to get it running i would have to take the intake duct off and start it open tb. after starting it and putting the duct back on it would bog horribly and try to stall the first few throttle hits from a stop, then itd usually be ok from there aside from missing all the low end power. The car couldnt even chirp tire in a straight line.

Last edited by t/agta; 08-17-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-18-2008, 04:51 AM
Supreme Member

Loud slapping? Could be an exhaust leak but it may be time for you to start probing around the block and heads with an automotive stethoscope or a long handled screwdriver. You can't hear an exhaust leak with either of these but you will be able to tell if you have serious engine damage.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 PM

k.
So i went to pull the car out of my neighbors garage to put it back on the street and i was gonna push it out, but i figured eh what the hell. So i turned the key and it started right up and it was idleing correctly. I put it in a parking spot and went to work. I came home curious about it. I got in, started it and did a walk around. It was blowin a little smoke out the tail pipe, but not as much as it was, and it was grayish black. I dont know. Maybe i was just color blind the other day. It was idleing pretty good so i took it around the block. Pulled over around the corner and got out. No smoke, no smell, nothin. So i headed for high street again. I made the right on the hill from a stop sign and the car came out sideways spinnin tire at around 1/2 throttle. It flew up the hill like nothin. went to my house, parked it, shut it off, and ran inside to tell my dad. He came out to check it out. I got in, turned the key, and it turned right over, but immediately started idleing like crap until it died about 10 seconds later. Started it back up, and it idled like crap and i fought with it to keep it running and it started blowin out black smoke from the tail pipes.

Is my car just flippin me off?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:59 AM
Supreme Member

Smoke coloring indications:

Black - rich (too much fuel)
White - water (burning coolant or condensation)
Blue - oil (self explanatory)

What size injectors did you install?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Viprklr
Smoke coloring indications:

Black - rich (too much fuel)
White - water (burning coolant or condensation)
Blue - oil (self explanatory)

What size injectors did you install?
24s and an afpr. right now my fuel pressure is at 46psi
Old 08-19-2008, 10:50 PM

just noticed that there hasnt been a drop of oil since that day... just black smoke and a horrible idle once its warm... I'm beggining to think there might have been an air pocket in my oil and it blew by the heads and into the exhaust or somethin. Where should my fuel pressure be? I know i'm supposed to tune the regulator till i feel the most top end performance but still have good idle characteristics, but i can get to the screw on the regulator because of the plenum. its actually making contact with the screw.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:30 AM

Car: 86 vette
Engine: 383
Axle/Gears: 3.07

I would look for a loose electrical connection, unplug and replug anything you can get to. You can also swap the maf out and see if that changes, or try just try unplugging it (should run in maf default mode).

Check for cracked vacuum lines.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 PM

ok. so i got up early this morning and played around with everything. I decreased the fuel pressure. now its 42 psi key on motor off, and a steady 40 psi key on motor on. Started the car, no more smoke, but still ran like crap. Start checking all the connectors and i found the est plug disconnected. Hit the car with my timing gun and saw it was at about 10 degrees. Moved it down to 6 degrees and plugged the est back in and now it runs better than it ever has since ive owned it. Starts right up, idles smooth, and has way more bottom end power than it did.

YAY!!!!!!