TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2001, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator

Essentially allows you to stay at stock injector pressure but can double pressure at the injector if you want at wot only for impressive butt dyno runs, while allowing economy when you are not puttin the foot all the way into it! Twice the pressure too much for you?, then take comfort in knowing this regulator is fully adjustable to meet your tuning needs!
NOT A SALES PITCH, ONLY PASSIN ON CAN USE INFO TO YA!

Check out www.cartech.net/
Old 11-17-2001, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can make my own AFPR for $10, why should I pay the extra $240 for that one?
Old 11-17-2001, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BitchinCamaro:
I can make my own AFPR for $10, why should I pay the extra $240 for that one?</font>
Hey, if the $10. unit works for ya then there is no reason for spending more!

However, with a RRAFPR as much as a 40% increase in flow to a stock 5.7 injector at 86 psi equates to about 51.6 lbs. per hr. with the potential of well over 100hp per cyl. if the engine can handle it. So, I think the $ spent on this type of unit is worth the spend for high output TPI mouse or rats for that matter!

Old 11-17-2001, 11:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so its kinda a variable type thing?

even so, $250 buys me 193 gallons of gas.

------------------
- David
88' GTA 5.7L TPI MODS---> air foil, K&N, Shift Kit, 180* therm, TB bypass, Gutted CAT, Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler added to Unkown CatBack, Ported Intake

http://www.geocities.com/david_angel_16

[This message has been edited by breathment (edited November 17, 2001).]
Old 11-18-2001, 09:33 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
The problem is, that the stock fuel injectors "lock" somewhere between 55-60 psi. That "rising rate fuel pressure regulator" would cause the same problem. I am not sure if you are aware of this, but when we measure PSI, we do this with the vacuum line off to simulate "high load" such as WOT. In typical "part throttle condition", the fuel pressure is considerably lower. In fact, when you increase the fuel pressure with an AFPR, you really just effect the pressure at high load (low vacuum). There is MINIMAL effect with an AFPR at low load (high vacuum).

For that "rising rate FPR" to work, you will need a far better fuel pump than the one in the stock GM cars. Fuel pressure > 50 psi tends to make them have a very short life. And, it is ONLY at high load that this higher pressure exists.

Ditto on the injectors. You will need different injectors that can handle higher fuel pressures without locking (and damaging them).

Lastly, you will need to have an eprom burnt to compensate for all that fuel you will begin dumping at high load (low vacuum). Extra fuel alters all the fuel tables, and if you haven't compensated within the eprom (to let the ECM know that you are getting more fuel). You are just going to run too rich.

Extra fuel is only good IF you need it. Most of the time when I have helped people burn an eprom, extra fuel has seldom been the problem. Generally, getting the right spark curve (without detonation) and LEANING the fuel, as it seems too many people subscribe to this MORE IS BETTER concept.

With fuel, MORE IS BETTER only when you need it. But, you also have to let the ECM know about it or you have "Garbage In = Garbage Out".

Don't get me wrong. I am not completely against the idea of the "rising rate FPR". In fact, I can see some advantages in "power-adder" applications, where they have a need to run "stock" at low/no boost situations, and then need the extra fuel for boost.

It actually solves the problem of having to use excessively large injectors (to ensure your Duty Cycles don't go too high @ WOT/high rpm). The problem with big injectors is that the ECM can only shorten the pulse widths so much, thus making "idle" a problem if your injectors are overly large to handle the "boost" situation.

But you will need a better fuel pump and better injectors to properly use that RRFPR. Plus, you MUST get the eprom's fuel tables dramatically altered for it to work properly. On a basically stock engine, it could cause more problems than it solves. But it does have merit for engines with "power adders" or large N/A motors with radical cams where injector sizing is getting to be a problem.
Old 11-18-2001, 02:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 pontiac TA
Engine: 360 HSR
Transmission: 700r4 3300 yank converter
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt
stock injectors shut off at 72.5 psi
Old 11-18-2001, 05:23 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mrr23:
stock injectors shut off at 72.5 psi</font>
Just crank them up to 60 psi, drive around for a couple of months, and get back to me.
Old 11-18-2001, 06:26 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, LT1
Transmission: TKX, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.23
My car won't even idle at 60lbs..

-- Joe

------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Formula 350 4-bolt mains, Forged .030 TRW pistons, SLP 51010 Roller Cam, Comp-cams roller lifters, Summit 1.5 roller rockers, World Products Sportsman II
2.02/1.60 heads, Edelbrock TPI Intake, Cloyes Double Roller, timing chain, Mellings oil pump: 13.5 @ 100.23 MPH

Since close of track : Ported SLP runners, Ported Plenum, AFPR, Autometer 100lbs gauge, A/F ratio gauge.

http://www.joesperformance.com

-- Joe